Ran through tires awfully fast - brand/model suggestion?

Look at Discount Tire, they make good on the warranty as another poster eluded to. SUV tires will certainly last longer on a vehicle like the Sienna. There are two Siennas in my family (both Gen 3). The Continental TrueContact Tour on the one van seems to be doing well. They are very quite and made a noticeable difference in how it drove over the past Uniroyal TigerPaws. The second one has General Altimax RT43. While traction is fine, the tread design is causing the edges to wear out faster than the rest of the tire. I'm not planning to buy them again for that reason. I've also been told to keep the tires on these vans aired up to 40 PSI because the recommend stock pressure is too low.
I'd never thought about inflating more than the recommended 35... I'll look into that. No issues with safety with that?

If you have a Costco membership, try the Michelin X-Tour A/S, available in both of the Sienna tire sizes, and it's basically a higher wearing Defender tire

I'd never thought about inflating more than the recommended 35... I'll look into that. No issues with safety with that?
There shouldn't be any safety concerns as long as you don't exceed the maximum PSI listed on the tire sidewall. I typically stick with the manufacturer recommendation, but the Sienna's are very close to hitting the max load allowed by 35 PSI without much weight in them.

This generation of Sienna is just hard on tires. They are only a 215/65/16 whereas similar year Odysseys use a 235/65/16 and I think they are undersized. It's just something to live with for an otherwise fine vehicle.

We need new tires on our 2010 Sienna, and I was surprised to see that it’s only been 2 years (22k miles) since we last replaced them. At the time we bought the tires, there was no warranty on them. The same model of tire (Goodyear Assurance A/S) now comes with a 65,000 mile warranty.

Has something actually changed with the tires that they will last longer, or can I expect to get the same ~25k miles out of them (and I’m guessing we’ll get some minimally prorated discount from the warranty)?

My wife does almost exclusively short-trip suburban driving (and I’ll admit tends to be very quick on the gas and hard on the brakes). Is there anything I should look for in a tire that will hold up better for that kind of driving? I've seen some recommendations on here for the Continental Control Contact Tour... but I figure either way, Goodyear isn't a good fit for us. (We're in Raleigh, NC, so very minimal cold-weather conditions.)
Alignment.......always get it done with new tires.
Even at low mileage....sounds like you need it running through your tires that fast.

There shouldn't be any safety concerns as long as you don't exceed the maximum PSI listed on the tire sidewall. I typically stick with the manufacturer recommendation, but the Sienna's are very close to hitting the max load allowed by 35 PSI without much weight in them.

I'll also add that even if your tires say max pressure 35 psi, it is safe to use up to 40 psi in them. There's a long explanation as to why that is so.

Side note: It is so unlike Toyota to undersize tires. I wonder if the vehicle was designed with a certain tire size in mind, then decided at the last minute to use a different one - one that barely fits - and maybe they'll catch up on the next iteration.

Last edited:
long PRO RATED tire warranties are to get you to buy another set $$$!! tyres vary as do their prices but short drives with lots of turning scuffs rubber away! many reviews are BULL + tyre manufacturers set their OWN mileages!! costlier tyres may last longer + save mounting costs usually blended into the "out the door cost" i research + buy on line usually + my great local indie mounts + balances $10 a pop!!!

When a driver has a habit of driving to every light and stop sign, then braking hard at the last minute, then they can expect a much shortened tire life. Hard braking chews up tires.

I don't recommend you have the "you may want to slow down and plan ahead so you don't have to brake so hard" conversation with your wife. It won't have a good outcome. Just keep buying brakes and tires.
A stiffer throttle spring is the only way. Gradually up the resistance so she doesn't notice. :sneaky:

Siennas are hard on tires.

Buy your tires from Discount Tire, they're good with warranties. Get the 70k mile rated tire and when they wear down to the wear bars in 22k miles, your next set will be 68% off if you have Discount do rotations every 5k-6k miles.
my discount was kinda odd when i tried to get some tires warranted. they said that its got to go down to 2/32 before they would do anything, while they recommend 4/32 tires be replaced. . in the SW ,wearing them down to 2/32 might be less of an issue, but in the PNW or the NE, its more of an issue.

I just replaced the Cooper CS5 Grand Touring (2nd set) on my 2013 Sienna with Continental TrueContact Touring. I like the CS5 but don't expect to get close to mileage warranty. Also I had issues with the tire developing a slow leak with these tires. It's only been a few weeks but I like the Continental True Contact.

The Siennas are hard on tires. Raising the tire pressure will not solve the wear issue. It's the weight of the vehicle and the suspension setup that causes the excessive wear. The best thing you can do is rotate the tires.

Good luck.

I think there might be a little something funny about suspension geometry on Siennas. My SO has had two - a second gen and now a third gen. On both if you're turning more than, say, crossing over your arms on the wheel you can start to hear a ripping sound from the fronts. If you're getting even close to steering lock, no matter how slow you go it's very noticeable and you can tell the tires are being mangled. If you're pulling a U turn and the outside tire gets into some sand or gravel on the road you can feel that one tire doing a slip/step/pulse sideways every half revolution. Some kind of problem with the Ackermann design or something? Not sure, haven't dug into it, but definitely noticed if you pay attention to noises from Siennas around you.

Also - there's a parking lot with a particular coating that we're at frequently that accentuates squealing. Even in a fairly gradual turn at slow speed it will start squealing away - both the gen2 and gen3. Again, leading back to something scrubbing one tire more than it should be in turns, and getting worse the sharper the turn.

Not an issue found or fixed on standard alignments, witnessed on multiple Siennas, and whatever is behind the obvious bad noises might be behind higher than normal wear, especially with in town suburban driving (lots of turns, accelerating into right turns from stopped etc....). If anyone has specifics I'm curious, not that there can be anything done about it.

I'd have to check with her to be sure. The gen2 had Michelin Defender T+H (I think) on for a period and they were noticeably great - smooth, long lasting, good grip within minivan expectations etc...

This seems like the 2nd or 3rd Sienna wears tires fast thread I’ve noticed on here in a short time, feels like deja vu all over again

If the op doesn’t mind squirrelly handling get an independent shop to get things at zero toe and so straight it’s out of spec.
Car will wander but wear will be much better

I think there might be a little something funny about suspension geometry on Siennas. My SO has had two - a second gen and now a third gen. On both if you're turning more than, say, crossing over your arms on the wheel you can start to hear a ripping sound from the fronts. If you're getting even close to steering lock, no matter how slow you go it's very noticeable and you can tell the tires are being mangled. If you're pulling a U turn and the outside tire gets into some sand or gravel on the road you can feel that one tire doing a slip/step/pulse sideways every half revolution. Some kind of problem with the Ackermann design or something? Not sure, haven't dug into it, but definitely noticed if you pay attention to noises from Siennas around you.

Also - there's a parking lot with a particular coating that we're at frequently that accentuates squealing. Even in a fairly gradual turn at slow speed it will start squealing away - both the gen2 and gen3. Again, leading back to something scrubbing one tire more than it should be in turns, and getting worse the sharper the turn.

Not an issue found or fixed on standard alignments, witnessed on multiple Siennas, and whatever is behind the obvious bad noises might be behind higher than normal wear, especially with in town suburban driving (lots of turns, accelerating into right turns from stopped etc....). If anyone has specifics I'm curious, not that there can be anything done about it.

I'd have to check with her to be sure. The gen2 had Michelin Defender T+H (I think) on for a period and they were noticeably great - smooth, long lasting, good grip within minivan expectations etc...
The Akermann (multiple spellings) is something I was thinking about as well. Good to see some evidence that this might be so.

If so, then there's no fixing this without steering geometry changes - meaning bending or replacing parts. I wonder why Toyota hasn't fixed this?

OTOH, I know of several vehicles that took FOREVER for the vehicle manufacturer to fix similar problems! The problem seemed to be once the design phase was over, the parts were set in stone and no one in Development could change the parts!

Thanks - pretty sure we had Michelins on there at one point. I don't think we've gotten over 50k, but I know it wasn't as low as 25k. I'll check it out.

The Sienna (and minivans in general) are just hard on tires. The Michelin’s will probably get you the max life that you can expect.

The Akermann (multiple spellings) is something I was thinking about as well. Good to see some evidence that this might be so.

If so, then there's no fixing this without steering geometry changes - meaning bending or replacing parts. I wonder why Toyota hasn't fixed this?

OTOH, I know of several vehicles that took FOREVER for the vehicle manufacturer to fix similar problems! The problem seemed to be once the design phase was over, the parts were set in stone and no one in Development could change the parts!

Yep - that's what I'm thinking - no fixing it. The alignment readouts were in spec and reasonable, and the issues I notice are only in turns - alignment is set going straight. If you do lots of highway miles you may get great tire wear. As soon as you're all in town, the special issues when turning (combined with the regular turning, stopping, acceleration) really combine for high wear. I don't have a scientific logbook of tire wear, but the tires did really well when she worked a 40 minute highway commute away and really suffered when going back to a more local job with lots of turns. Every vehicle will have higher tire wear in those circumstances, but the Sienna was a little surprising.

Another example - every time she comes over she backs in to my driveway, which involves something like a three point turn in the street. Even barely moving when she turns the wheel hard to set up to back in the outside front tire makes a RRRRRRRRIP I can hear from anywhere on my property. Both the gen2 and the gen3. Doing the same thing, sometimes much faster, in my bimmer is silent.

Anyone with a Sienna - roll down the windows and pull a U-turn. Report back :)

+1 michelin Defenders and run the pressure up a bit 38-40 psi. Should go a long way and work well in rain and snow. Also wouldnt hurt to get next size larger that fits. Larger tires ride better and carry more load.

The Michelin's I install on my F150 are rated/warrantied to go 80,000 miles. They last no more than 38,000. That's good, but (obviously) slightly less than half their rated lifespan. At $250 each, tires have become quite an expense with all the miles I drive. The original Pirelli Scorpions did not last quite as long, and made it about 30,000 miles.

Back