Ran through tires awfully fast - brand/model suggestion?

We need new tires on our 2010 Sienna, and I was surprised to see that it’s only been 2 years (22k miles) since we last replaced them. At the time we bought the tires, there was no warranty on them. The same model of tire (Goodyear Assurance A/S) now comes with a 65,000 mile warranty.

Has something actually changed with the tires that they will last longer, or can I expect to get the same ~25k miles out of them (and I’m guessing we’ll get some minimally prorated discount from the warranty)?

My wife does almost exclusively short-trip suburban driving (and I’ll admit tends to be very quick on the gas and hard on the brakes). Is there anything I should look for in a tire that will hold up better for that kind of driving? I've seen some recommendations on here for the Continental Control Contact Tour... but I figure either way, Goodyear isn't a good fit for us. (We're in Raleigh, NC, so very minimal cold-weather conditions.)

Minivans are hard on tires in general. I would not expect more miles, at least nothing close to 65k. You might want to read up on what pressure to use, I believe there is a forum for these vans where users have experimented and have found better tire life with higher pressures than indicated on the door jamb.

I am a fan of General RT43's but they are hardly the only choice, and where you do not have snow issues the Cooper CS5's might be better. To be honest, I might go with what is on sale.

When a driver has a habit of driving to every light and stop sign, then braking hard at the last minute, then they can expect a much shortened tire life. Hard braking chews up tires.

I don't recommend you have the "you may want to slow down and plan ahead so you don't have to brake so hard" conversation with your wife. It won't have a good outcome. Just keep buying brakes and tires.

The Sienna in my sig has always chewed up tires. My only "solution" has been to rotate regularly at Americas Tire and I've always gotten great prorates (usually a half of the cost of the new tires), b/c the most I've gotten has been half the warrantied mileage.

I'm currently on a set of Cooper CS5s, and I'm overinflating these by a few PSI but I don't think its going to matter. My next experiment in my quest for the holy grail might be to buy the optional larger size that my manual allows, but I don't know if that will help at all.

We need new tires on our 2010 Sienna, and I was surprised to see that it’s only been 2 years (22k miles) since we last replaced them. At the time we bought the tires, there was no warranty on them. The same model of tire (Goodyear Assurance A/S) now comes with a 65,000 mile warranty.

Has something actually changed with the tires that they will last longer, or can I expect to get the same ~25k miles out of them (and I’m guessing we’ll get some minimally prorated discount from the warranty)?

My wife does almost exclusively short-trip suburban driving (and I’ll admit tends to be very quick on the gas and hard on the brakes). Is there anything I should look for in a tire that will hold up better for that kind of driving? I've seen some recommendations on here for the Continental Control Contact Tour... but I figure either way, Goodyear isn't a good fit for us. (We're in Raleigh, NC, so very minimal cold-weather conditions.)

Welcome to BITOG :)
What is your tire size?

A few people on here have reported very short treadlife no matter what tires you put on a Sienna. Do you rotate the tires? :unsure:

There are tires out there with a warranty of 85k and even longer

You could just go with cheap tires. Even though you'll still have a short life on them, it will hurt less since they cost less :D

That was my original plan. But I since have moved to 70-90K mi warranty tires, because you will be paying the $76 lifetime rotate, and some minor fees, less often if you move to a more expensive tire that lasts longer. Also, I've found that the longer lasting tires aren't more expensive in terms of $/mi driven. Of course, YMMV.

You could just go with cheap tires. Even though you'll still have a short life on them, it will hurt less since they cost less :D

We seemed to go through tires and ever since we switched over to the Michelin Defenders they have been the longest lasting tire. Most times we only were able to get 35k miles out of a set on our Acadia or now Suburban but the Defenders have lasted 60k on the Acadia and we have 40k on the Suburban now and there is plenty of tread left. I also like how quiet they are and how well they handle in the dry/wet and even light snow.

Siennas are hard on tires.

Buy your tires from Discount Tire, they're good with warranties. Get the 70k mile rated tire and when they wear down to the wear bars in 22k miles, your next set will be 68% off if you have Discount do rotations every 5k-6k miles.

We seemed to go through tires and ever since we switched over to the Michelin Defenders they have been the longest lasting tire. Most times we only were able to get 35k miles out of a set on our Acadia or now Suburban but the Defenders have lasted 60k on the Acadia and we have 40k on the Suburban now and there is plenty of tread left. I also like how quiet they are and how well they handle in the dry/wet and even light snow.

+1 for Michelins being long lasting. Have had a couple sets go 105k and 93k. Although you can't expect the same on a minivan that has a tire eating reputation, they'll last longer than what was on there before.

Kuato, which line of Michelins did you run?

+1 for Michelins being long lasting. Have had a couple sets go 105k and 93k. Although you can't expect the same on a minivan that has a tire eating reputation, they'll last longer than what was on there before.

If they have your size, Michelin Defender LTX M/S. Our RX330 has 265k and has gone through many sets of tires -- none ever lasted longer than 38k. Prior to the LTX, I had the Michelin Premier A/S put on -- they hit the wear bar at 28k.

The Michelin LTX M/S on now are wearing incredible and provide a nice ride. I am guessing we get around 50k from them. I was so pleased with them, I also put them on my Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Look at Discount Tire, they make good on the warranty as another poster eluded to. SUV tires will certainly last longer on a vehicle like the Sienna. There are two Siennas in my family (both Gen 3). The Continental TrueContact Tour on the one van seems to be doing well. They are very quite and made a noticeable difference in how it drove over the past Uniroyal TigerPaws. The second one has General Altimax RT43. While traction is fine, the tread design is causing the edges to wear out faster than the rest of the tire. I'm not planning to buy them again for that reason. I've also been told to keep the tires on these vans aired up to 40 PSI because the recommend stock pressure is too low.

Buying cheap tires is like buying your shoes at Wal Mart. They will wear out quickly and need frequent replacement but it will always look like you have new shoes/tires.👟

Minivans are hard on tires in general. I would not expect more miles, at least nothing close to 65k. You might want to read up on what pressure to use, I believe there is a forum for these vans where users have experimented and have found better tire life with higher pressures than indicated on the door jamb.

I am a fan of General RT43's but they are hardly the only choice, and where you do not have snow issues the Cooper CS5's might be better. To be honest, I might go with what is on sale.
Thanks - appreciate the advice.

Thanks - pretty sure we had Michelins on there at one point. I don't think we've gotten over 50k, but I know it wasn't as low as 25k. I'll check it out.

Look at Discount Tire, they make good on the warranty as another poster eluded to. SUV tires will certainly last longer on a vehicle like the Sienna. There are two Siennas in my family (both Gen 3). The Continental TrueContact Tour on the one van seems to be doing well. They are very quite and made a noticeable difference in how it drove over the past Uniroyal TigerPaws. The second one has General Altimax RT43. While traction is fine, the tread design is causing the edges to wear out faster than the rest of the tire. I'm not planning to buy them again for that reason. I've also been told to keep the tires on these vans aired up to 40 PSI because the recommend stock pressure is too low.
That's where I'm planning to go - had a very good experience buying there a few years back. The Continental is on my short list right now - appreciate the advice.

Sienna is chewing through tires like crazy. On par BMW M5, but it ain't BMW M5 :)
Bump your tire pressure. That is the only mitigative measure you can do. My 2015 Sienna is recommended for 35psi on all 4 tires, but the consensus among long-term Sienna owners is that 42psi is the best way to save tires. Now I personally run 38psi as I still have for summer RFT on my minivan and 42psi is way too hard, but once I move to regular tires, I will run 42psi on all 4.

Thanks - pretty sure we had Michelins on there at one point. I don't think we've gotten over 50k, but I know it wasn't as low as 25k. I'll check it out.
But, you really don't want tires that can last 70k. Good performance comes at a price, and IMO you should look for balance there. In the end, minivan's are transporting usually most precious cargo, and I personally always want to have the best performing tires, and longevity comes down in priorities.

Back