Ramps Sliding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys
Sorry if this is repetitive, I forgot the search trick to get more results, but what is an effective way to prevent metal ramps from sliding on your garage floor when driving up them? Would the plastic ones have this problem?

Thanks!

Is there any chance that you have your foot on the brake when you are trying to get up the ramps?

A small bit of plywood at the base, half on the base half on the floor works for me. Helps transfer enough weight to the ramps to hold them down.

Assuming this is your crown vic? Little harder with RWD. Also make sure you aren't bouncing and hitting an under bumper aero dam when the suspension compresses if you're hitting them quickly.

Funny thing about metal ramps is they're sensitive to folding up if you, say, try sticking a 2x4 behind the tall end up against a wall.

The plastic ones I have use a rubber foot on both ends which did stop them from sliding. Now that they have some age the rubber is hardened but still works 90% of the time. I'm going to roughen up the surface a little and see if that helps.

But once you have had the plastic ramps you will NEVER use metal ones again. I've had both.

Bill

Go buy a semi truck mudflap; cheap at Napa. Cut in half and use under the front of each ramp. Works great.

Dave

Originally Posted By: bmod305
Go buy a semi truck mudflap; cheap at Napa. Cut in half and use under the front of each ramp. Works great.

Dave

I like it!

I have the same issue.

Carpet with foam underneath, or rubber. Front wheel drive seem OK on ramps. The ones I have a hard time with is RWD.

I even have a problem with plastic ramps with RWD.

Originally Posted By: bmod305

Dave

SOLD!

Excellent idea!!!!
thumbsup2.gif

Thank you!

I use left over rubber cabinet liner. The kind you might put in the drawers of your tool chest (that's where my leftover came from). Works great. Same idea as rubber backed carpet, mud flaps, etc. Available at any hardware store and cheap. Pretty soft and tacky, grips on the slick garage floor no prolem.

I drilled holes in the garage floor and drop a bolt down through a hole in the end. When I am done, I leave the bolt in the floor.

Maybe it's a ground clearance thing between cars and trucks/SUVs. With my 4Runner and CR-V, I move the vehicle to about where I want to do the service and then slide the ramps up against the front of the tires. Drive on up with no problem. Even my plastic (Rhino) ramps will slide on concrete if I just try to drive up without "wedging" them under the tires first. As long as you're not catching the ramp with the chin, something as simple as duct tape would probably provide enough adhesion to keep the ramp from moving...I've used blue painter's tape before.

-Brent

I bought a set of Rhino ramps about a year ago, one of the best tool investments I made in a while. I've had no problems getting on them at all, I just had the Jeep on them this moring. Tossed it into 4WD Low range, took my foot off the brake and up it went, just with the engine idling. 4 WD Low makes it a snap. Even the RWD Aerostar gets up on them with no problem, but it takes a little thottle to do it.

My driveway is coarse blacktop so it helps hold them in place. I would imagine an old shower mat under the front of the ramp would help keep them in place.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
The plastic ones I have use a rubber foot on both ends which did stop them from sliding. Now that they have some age the rubber is hardened but still works 90% of the time. I'm going to roughen up the surface a little and see if that helps.

But once you have had the plastic ramps you will NEVER use metal ones again. I've had both.

Bill

+1

OK, that tears it, looks like I need to buy me a set.

Right now I've got some old-time steel ramps that I inherited from Dad. I can only use them on the trucks. I have a set of UltraRamps that just barely work for the Malibu, and even so, there are yellow marks on the bottom of the bumper from contact with the ramp. The Cobalt can't even get anywhere near them. I was at Meijer the other day and saw some Rhino Ramps on sale for $25.94 and almost got them, but didn't. In a way I'm glad, since they're having a "Super Saturday" Sale tomorrow, and I think there's a $5 coupon in the paper I can use on these. Provided they're still on sale......

When I'm done squeezing a penny, there's nothing but dust left.

I use short (18") pieces of 2x6 to bridge from ground to about 3" elevation on the ramp. This allows a car w/ low ground clearance to mount the ramp w/o bumper hitting ramp. Of course, you use same pieces to come down the ramps.

This procedure works good for an automatic, but w/ a manual trans it's a challenge, but usually manageable.

Wood pieces may sometimes be thrown rearward as you go up the ramp, so don't retreat once you mount the ramp as you'll need to reposition the bridge pieces.

good luck

Originally Posted By: bigmike
I hear Lincoln screaming!
He's screaming like a banshee this morning, I just got back and now own a set for all of $22 and some change.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

I bought some 8,000lb Rhino ramps recently because they're easier to drive onto, but then discovered that they're 2" lower than the metal ones I have, so I'm back to using my metal ones (with the extension pieces) most of the time for the extra clearance while working underneath. Maybe I should have bought the 12,000lb ramps, but I was unsure about whether they'd clear the bottom of the bumper.

The thing I don't understand about the metal ones is that they have a bunch of ridges on the incline - I assume for structural rigidity - and you really need to keep the momentum going to get over the last one. I don't understand why that last one is necessary. It should be stiff enough at that point without it. They'd be a lot easier to use without the ridges.

I also like the mudflap idea. I think I'll start doing that so I don't have to listen to the noise every time I get on and off the metal ramps.

Appreciate all the great ideas guys, I love that about this site. I actually tried my idea before looking here and braced w/4x4's....worked great but now concerned about them collapsing after reading this! I second the frustrations about the ridges.

Will investigate the mudflaps!

Thank you again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back