RAM Transfer Case Fluid

Hopefully someone can provide input on a fluid choice for my 2021 RAM truck. I am planning on purchasing some transfer case fluid for a future service.

I visited the Amsoil site and searched by specific vehicle and they recommend their Signature Series ATF fluid for my particular Borg-Warner Transfer Case. The fluid currently in the transfer case looks and feels like a light gear oil (amber in color). I emailed Amsoil and expressed my concern. The response was that they recommend the SS ATF but did not address my concern as to the difference in fluid characteristics.

Anyone use the SS ATF in this transfer case? Is the OEM transfer case fluid a transmission fluid without the dye?

Thanks.

From the 2021 Ram owners manual.

AAF8351D-5552-46D2-B62A-081F3D3BF164.jpg

And what fluid is that??
I read this as "recommend". The transmission spec is specific "use only". The transfer case is "recommend". The OEM TC fluid is crazy expensive.

That's the reason for my original question. If it is nothing special, I was going to get an as good or better alternative.

I read this as "recommend". The transmission spec is specific "use only". The transfer case is "recommend". The OEM TC fluid is crazy expensive.

That's the reason for my original question. If it is nothing special, I was going to get an as good or better alternative.
The fluid in your transfer case is MobilFluid LT. I had the same stuff in mine from the factory. It's hydraulic tractor fluid used by the manufacturer to cut costs. You can safely use AMSOIL ATL (red cap to replace it). RedLine Oil MT-LV is another option, though I wouldn't use that one myself (it's untested by RedLine Oil). After some back and forth with them, we figured out that MT-LV is the suitable replacement for MT-LV, and they put it in their online product guide.

If you want something genuinely high-end, I recommend Ravenol BW44 fluid. It is also a replacement for MobilFluid LT. However, the safest bet is AMSOIL ATF, as you can quickly get it for a great price, and it just works. It uses the correct friction modifiers for the only high-energy clutch inside that transfer case. MobilFluid LT has no friction modifiers in it.

I use AMSOIL ATF in my BW44-44 transfer case, the precursor to yours, and it works very well. The engagements are smooth, with no problems.

There are 2 diff. fluids depending on what Tcase is in it, and if its the auto one, u will for sure want to use the right stuff unless you want to be rebuilding the clutch in it. ;)

There are 2 diff. fluids depending on what Tcase is in it, and if its the auto one, u will for sure want to use the right stuff unless you want to be rebuilding the clutch in it. ;)
I pointed the OP to the right stuff. Everything I recommended is a heck of a lot better than MobilFluid LT. And he can use AMSOIL ATF in it, which is what I use. Delvac 1 ATF (TES295 certified) is also a good option, but I would use that in the regular non-auto transfer case. AMSOIL ATF can be used in both. I use it in the BW44-44.

I was looking into this for the BW48-11 for my Ram 1500. Ravenol does not have any recommendation for this application. Amsoil shows their ATF for 2021, but not for 2022. I assume this is because they have not updated the guide for the 2022 MY. The only MobilFluid LT I could find for sale online was a very expensive Porsche application:

The Mopar fluid I can find online appears to be for the BW44-40.

There was a subtle suggestion that Mobilfluid LT is some cheap hydraulic tractor fluid. It’s actually recommended by Mobil for use in drive trains of tractors. Some of the tractors out there cost in excess of $500,000. ;)

View attachment 82306
What I said was crystal clear: MobilFluid LT is used because Stelantis can get it at a low cost. They also sell the stuff as Mopar Transfer Case Fluid. The fact that it's used in a 500K combine doesn't mean that it's suitable for a transfer case. I'm sorry to say, but your logic is flawed. The only reason

The Ravenol BW44 can be used instead of MobilFluidLT. It's a hydraulic fluid without friction modifiers made with PAO base oils instead of Group II+.

Don’t try be a bully. I’m pointing out that Mobilfluid LT is a premium product that was selected by Stelantis specifically for its Active On Demand Transfer Case. You implied Stelantis chose it because it was cheap, yet they chose Shell Spirax for their part time transfer case, which is not cheap. “Your logic is flawed”, as you like to say.

Last edited:
Don’t try be a bully.
What? I thought I was engaged in an intellectual exercise, but if you feel that way, I'm sorry. Yet, I fail to see what value you add to this thread, since the discussion was about fluids compatible with certain Borg-Warner transfer cases in the RAM 1500 DT, not about MobilFluid LT.

I’m pointing out that Mobilfluid LT is a premium product that was selected by Stelantis specifically for its Active On Demand Transfer Case.
Oh, they could have used other fluids, but they didn't, precisely because this fits their target budget. To add insult to injury, they sold it to customers at a *steep* markup for years under their Mopar brand. What is it, $30 to $40 a quart when you can buy a five-gallon pail of MobilFluid LT for about $125 at full retail price? They got away with it because for years they did their best to hide from RAM/Dodge/Chrysler customers what was in that overpriced Mopar BW44-44 bottle.

yet they chose Shell Spirax for their part time transfer case, which is not cheap.
Oh no, Shell Spirax S2 A389 ATF is a non-synthetic ATF, and yes, it's low cost. I never used the word "cheap," nor did I imply that Stelantis choose to use these fluids based on their merits because clearly, they didn't. If Stelantis wanted to use a premium ATF for the BW44-45/BW48-12, then Delvac 1 ATF (TES-295) would have been the premium option.

“Your logic is flawed”, as you like to say.
Indeed, I am curious to see how far you are willing to take this and further derail this thread.

Need I remind you that the OP asked what are the differences between the OEM fluid and AMSOIL ATF and if anyone is using AMSOIL ATF in their Borg-Warner active transfer case. I replied to all the OP's questions and provided him with a reasonable explanation as to why the OEM choose to use MobilFluid LT in his transfer case (due to low acquisition cost). I did not make any comments about the quality of MobilFluid LT. I also told the OP that I am using AMSOIL ATF in my active Borg-Warner BW44-44 transfer case, and that engagement and clutch actuation are smoother than with the OEM fluid.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dude, all my comments were about what the owners manual suggested ( Mobilfluid LT) which you called “ hydraulic tractor fluid used by the manufacturer to cut costs”. It was selected by the engineers at Stelantis. You present no technical information to prove superiority over those engineers.The rest of your discussion is your personal opinion on which I did not comment on nor criticize.

Dude, all my comments were about what the owners manual suggested ( Mobilfluid LT) which you called “ hydraulic tractor fluid used by the manufacturer to cut costs”. It was selected by the engineers at Stelantis. You present no technical information to prove superiority over those engineers.The rest of your discussion is your personal opinion on which I did not comment on nor criticize.
Every medium to large-sized business employs cost accounting. Even some small businesses that can afford to hire qualified staff have one. Their job is to analyze and decide what goes into each product, with support from their engineering and manufacturing departments. Cost accounting will ask engineering if MobilFluid LT and Shell Spirax S2 A389 will meet the minimum specifications for the transfer case to operate. They will not ask for the best-most-expensive fluid to give the most extended useful life and best performance. It is not their job to get the most out of a vehicle for a customer. That's the customer's job to be well informed and take good care of their vehicle. It is for the same reason why a RAM 1500 truck does not ship from the factory with synthetic motor oil but rather conventional. It's cheaper, and it meets minimum specifications.

The other problem with the active Borg Warner transfer cases in the RAM 1500 is that they overheat in 4WD AUTO and even in 4WD Locked modes due to FCA's programming. The system is programmed to disengage the front driveshaft clutch every time there is steering input, no matter how small. This leads to overheating, and eventually, the transfer case has to be rebuilt. Using an objectively better fluid helps mitigate this issue because there is no way to install an oil cooler or cooling for the transfer case. The programming cannot be changed. Someone on RAMForum created a mod that overrides the computer and keeps the clutch permanently engaged to avoid what I just described.

You can see in this video how the mod works:

Hey you folks use whatever u want. I'm just saying be careful with the auto t case , as the clutch can be an issue....and the above with the tcase overheating in 4 lock? Not true. They do not unlock in the lock mode when turning. They will bind/dry hop wheels a bit on dry pavement. Are they the best tcase? no. But if the fluid is kept changed we don't see many issues. My issue would be if you use "too slippery" of a fluid, you WILL create slippage/heat.

Last edited:
Here is some interesting info for the OP to better know his transfer case. The Borg Warner transfer cases for Rams were re-designed in 2019. Also attached is a list of the trucks they are installed in. I am assuming the OP owns a 1500, as he did not say. Enjoy.

0C004E46-04DF-4E51-8F63-EC858F1715C8.jpeg
4742C477-0C55-48A5-85F7-5D49F4ABD0B7.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 4WD
I appreciate all the input, seriously. That's why I love this forum. The vehicle in question is the 2021 TRX which has the BW 48-13 transfer case. Sorry, but after posting I realized this unit is new and used exclusively in the TRX. It's a "full time" engaged transfer case, meaning it's in 4wd constantly. The selectors on the dash are 4wd Auto, 4wd High, and 4wd Low. There is no way to put the transfer case into 2wd. So I'm assuming there are clutches involved when it's in 4wd Auto mode. The fluid part numbers are as follows.

1640780976739.jpg

BW 48-13 and BW 44-40 Mopar part# 68049954AC
BW 44-44 Mopar part# 68089195AA

Sorry for any confusion. I posted a little hastily. The holidays have been crazy around here.

Back