Ram 1500 car like ride explained

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by The Critic
Originally Posted by AZjeff
What I found most interesting in that article is that the upper wishbones are plastic glued to a sheet metal stamping.

I rented a '19 Ram Limited last fall and found the engine and transmission very nice, the dash too full of digital stuff for my taste, and it was noisy on the road. Noisier than my base Titan. It had air ride and did ride nice. Ram tranny programming beats Nissan hands down.

New body style or old body style? If it was NBS it should have been MUCH quieter. We've owned both and the NBS is much plusher and significantly quieter. Both have the ZF 8spd, same engine, same UConnect...etc.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5235996/2019-ram-limited-impressions

thanks! Yeah, that's the NBS, so I'm surprised to hear you found it noisier, but your complaints about the OEM tires are in-line with ours, they are awful. Once ours are done, it is getting a set of Defender LTX's.

OEM tires are outright dangerous on wet pavement. Noisy too. I'm about to replace them with Michelin, Cooper or Continental.

The Ram definitely has the best ride of any pickup that I've driven.

However, this thread has turned into a bashing/bickering session.

I've deleted several posts.

One more slagging/bickering/bashing post, and it's lock time.

Originally Posted by OilReport99
OEM tires are outright dangerous on wet pavement. Noisy too. I'm about to replace them with Michelin, Cooper or Continental.

Agreed. We found or Michelin winter tires were massively better in the wet
lol.gif

How many miles do you have on yours? We have ~30,000Km on the OE GY's and they sure aren't wearing like iron, despite the poor traction. I had a similar complaint about the Eagle's on my SRT-8, which were equally awful.

lol.gif

How many miles do you have on yours? We have ~30,000Km on the OE GY's and they sure aren't wearing like iron, despite the poor traction. I had a similar complaint about the Eagle's on my SRT-8, which were equally awful.

28K+ miles. I was driving down the overpass (on a Florida storm) couple weeks ago, doing about 30mph, and the truck slid off when I turned to take the street...scary.

lol.gif

28K+ miles. I was driving down the overpass (on a Florida storm) couple weeks ago, doing about 30mph, and the truck slid off when I turned to take the street...scary.

The 18" OE LRR tires on my 20 Ram seem fine in the dry so far. I did notice that they are only 37 lbs. Most tires in this size (275/65/18) are at least 40 lbs, including the Michelin's. I do value fuel economy in this truck so I may need to replace with something with similar LRR attributes (and I'm sure the 10% weight savings is a component) when the time comes.

Originally Posted by The Critic

lol.gif

The 18" OE LRR tires on my 20 Ram seem fine in the dry so far. I did notice that they are only 37 lbs. Most tires in this size (275/65/18) are at least 40 lbs, including the Michelin's. I do value fuel economy in this truck so I may need to replace with something with similar LRR attributes (and I'm sure the 10% weight savings is a component) when the time comes.

Based on the pictures you've shared, your tires are significantly different from ours. These are what the ones on my wife's truck look like:
[Linked Image]

Based on the pictures you've shared, your tires are significantly different from ours. These are what the ones on my wife's truck look like:
[Linked Image]

Yeah, that's not the tire I have. But I'd be willing to bet money mine are worse
lol.gif

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by AZjeff
What I found most interesting in that article is that the upper wishbones are plastic glued to a sheet metal stamping.

I rented a '19 Ram Limited last fall and found the engine and transmission very nice, the dash too full of digital stuff for my taste, and it was noisy on the road. Noisier than my base Titan. It had air ride and did ride nice. Ram tranny programming beats Nissan hands down.

New body style or old body style? If it was NBS it should have been MUCH quieter. We've owned both and the NBS is much plusher and significantly quieter. Both have the ZF 8spd, same engine, same UConnect...etc.

Whatever this is. It had the tablet size screen in the dash, self dimming (mostly) headlights, etc. Wife even noticed the road noise. Also had automatic steps that would come out and hit your shins. Lesson learned was don't rent the high end model for only 3 or 4 days, too aggravating.
[Linked Image]

LOL! We've got the GoodYear garbage fest
lol.gif
!!!

Comically, the Pirelli tires I had on both Jeeps? Not awful! In fact I'd say the ones I had on the 2020 were actually quite good. IMHO, these trucks should have shipped with Defender LTX's on them, but I'd wager that Michelin isn't close to being the cheapest bidder
wink.gif

Defender's are expensive. I might go with the Cooper SRX or the Continental TerrainContact H/T, don't know yet. I get a fairly good price from a local tire store.

Defender's are expensive. I might go with the Cooper SRX or the Continental TerrainContact H/T, don't know yet. I get a fairly good price from a local tire store.

thumbsup2.gif
Yeah, the Defender isn't cheap, but my experience with its predecessor, the LTX M/S and then M/S2 was excellent, which is why that's what we'll go with once these are done. I have Conti's on the Audi and the are pretty decent, the first set I've ever owned actually, as I have typically bought Michelin.

Dan Edmunds is a former suspension engineering who has worked for Toyota and Hyundai before transitioning to journalism. He was doing similar suspension walkarounds when edmunds.com spent more time on their Long Term Fleet reviews. I'm glad to see he picked it up for his writings at Autoblog.

One thing that interested me is this photo and the comment:
[Linked Image from o.aolcdn.com]

The truck employs a high-mount upper wishbone (yellow arrow) that positions the upper ball joint up behind the tire sidewall instead of inside the wheel's barrel. This layout offers improved steering geometry and reduced stress in the upper ball joint, the upper control arm and its mounting points.

This is similar to what GM was doing with the K2 trucks from 2013-2018.

For the 2019+ T1 trucks, GM went further and raised the upper control arm even more to improve the steering geometry:
[Linked Image from gm-trucks.com]

The Silverado/Sierra has a 3" longer wheelbase than Ram (crew cab/short box), but an identical turning circle because of the front suspension redesign and extra steering lock provided by it.

Also interesting to see that Ram uses an aluminum LCA and a steel/plastic UCA, while GM uses a steel LCA and aluminium UCA.

The RAM's ultra comfortable seats and the RAM's excellent ride quality along with incredible pricing sold me last June. I am coming up on 10,000 very happy miles in my new RAM.

LOL! We've got the GoodYear garbage fest
lol.gif
!!!

Comically, the Pirelli tires I had on both Jeeps? Not awful! In fact I'd say the ones I had on the 2020 were actually quite good. IMHO, these trucks should have shipped with Defender LTX's on them, but I'd wager that Michelin isn't close to being the cheapest bidder
wink.gif

Careful, you might get called out for not actually having them, despite them being on your truck like I did in the tire section
crackmeup2.gif

LOVE my 2020 Laramie! It came with Bridgestone Dueller H/L Alenza Plus tires that ride and handle very well. I was in some extremely heavy rain Sunday and I pushed them a little to see how they did and was very impressed. We don't get much snow here so I can't comment on how they would handle winter driving conditions. The door placard calls for 36 PSI but I bumped them up to 39.

My 2019 Jeep Limited has the same tires and they've also done very well.

It's a forum dedicated to oil and vehicles. Of course people are going to talk about their vehicles in the 'Vehicles' section.

I'll refrain from posting pics of my RAM though.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Do we have enough Ram threads … ? Getting ridiculous already.

They're selling like hot cakes these days. I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot more RAM threads in the near future.

Back