RainX Washer Fluid - Gone???

Status
Not open for further replies.
The last bottle I bought was 4 weeks ago and I haven't looked for it since. I have noticed that a few W-Ms near me were out of stock though.

Up here, the pink fluid is the summer formula. I still see it in Canadian Tire. I bought 6 jugs about a month ago when they had it at 50 percent off.

Never seen the Pink Rain X.
dunno.gif

WM near me's supposed to be getting the pink in sometime next month. Plenty of green on the shelf right now.

quote:

Originally posted by blupupher:
dunno.gif

Yes, because you are in the manly State of Texas, whereas the poster who mentioned the Pink formulation was - like me- trapped in this lily livered pantywaist nation to the North.

Practically every time I am in an Autoparts store I pick up a bottle of a fancy washer fluid - either Rain-X or the CDN Tire Teflon or something- but I never end up buying it. Just get fearful that it will harm paint or gum up nozzles or something.

Ami just being a nervous nellie in my fear of Pink Rain-X or the Mauve stuff with Teflon?

Pink is the bug removing version, although it doesn't do squat against what the UP of Michigan has to offer. You see it in the summer months here. The orange is for winter. It's supposedly good to -25 F. The pink is good down to 0 F.

To address Peterr's question, I've been using it for over a year now. It leaves a *little* deposit of the dye inside the washer fluid bottle, but there have been no problems with anything gumming up. I also love the way it makes the water bead on the windshield. At freeway speeds, I can usually turn off the wipers now. When my car's parked, I can see out the windshield when it rains, instead of having that wavy film of water over the whole thing that you can't see through. That can be helpful if you forget to turn on the wipers right away.

Matt

The summer variant sounds pretty good, but the winter version being rated only down to -25F worrie me. Its true that ambient temperatures like that seem to be limited to a couple of days in February where I live, but -15 to -20F are common and i find that the normal Winter fluid rated to -40 is dicey in my climate. The stuff that is rated to -45C (-49F) is the only stuff i will use.
You don't have problems in Michigan with that? Maybe the -25F is just conservative?

I can remember it reaching -22F in Detroit once since 1978, when my family moved here. Normally, the lowest it gets is single digits above zero. Sometimes you see negative single digits. Anything lower is really rare. Upper Michigan is a different story, though.

In your case, I'd feel free to use the Rain-X fluid during the spring, summer and fall, then switch to the super-cold-weather stuff during winter, when you really need it. It mixes with regular fluid just fine.

quote:

Originally posted by peterr:

quote:

dunno.gif

Yes, because you are in the manly State of Texas, whereas the poster who mentioned the Pink formulation was - like me- trapped in this lily livered pantywaist nation to the North.

Practically every time I am in an Autoparts store I pick up a bottle of a fancy washer fluid - either Rain-X or the CDN Tire Teflon or something- but I never end up buying it. Just get fearful that it will harm paint or gum up nozzles or something.

Ami just being a nervous nellie in my fear of Pink Rain-X or the Mauve stuff with Teflon?

Don't be too hard on yourself and your fellow Canucks -- we have plenty of the pink Rain-X on the shelves here in Florida, which is obviously just as much Bush country as Texas.

On a related note, I've given up on the Rain-X washer fluid. After experimenting with numerous combinations (and straight, per the directions), I just can't seem to get the stuff to stop making my wiper blades stick to the glass. It's awful to see and hear my blades chattering across the glass sounding as if the wiper arms are about to be torn off. Enough. Back to old fashioned Rain-X for me.
thumbsdown.gif

quote:

Originally posted by ekpolk:

quote:

Originally posted by peterr:

quote:

dunno.gif

Don't be too hard on yourself and your fellow Canucks -- we have plenty of the pink Rain-X on the shelves here in Florida, which is obviously just as much Bush country as Texas.

On a related note, I've given up on the Rain-X washer fluid. After experimenting with numerous combinations (and straight, per the directions), I just can't seem to get the stuff to stop making my wiper blades stick to the glass. It's awful to see and hear my blades chattering across the glass sounding as if the wiper arms are about to be torn off. Enough. Back to old fashioned Rain-X for me.
thumbsdown.gif

Have you tried using the actual treatment for the glass first, or are you just using the windshield wiper fluid? You might try an application by hand of the bottled stuff, and use the wiper fluid to renew the effects.

quote:

Originally posted by Matt_S:
I can remember it reaching -22F in Detroit once since 1978, when my family moved here. Normally, the lowest it gets is single digits above zero. Sometimes you see negative single digits. Anything lower is really rare. Upper Michigan is a different story, though.

In your case, I'd feel free to use the Rain-X fluid during the spring, summer and fall, then switch to the super-cold-weather stuff during winter, when you really need it. It mixes with regular fluid just fine.

Factor-in wind chill when reading those labels on windshield solution protection. Also need to consider sitting time. Not driving it all weekend during the winter may surprise you when you try the windshield washer on Monday morning at 5:30AM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back