Radiator stop leak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Guys, I know the general consensus on additives on this forum, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask. The mustang has a small crack in the plastic part of the radiator, only leaking about 1/2 quart every couple weeks, so it's not that bad yet. Are there any reputable stop leak products? Do they work on plastic? Or should I just save up for a couple months and hope the old rad hangs on for that long?

The most recommended stop leak product here are the Bars Leak tabs. That said, not sure how effective they will be on plastic. IMO, best solution is save up and drop a new radiator in it. Check out Rock Auto for selection, part#'s and pricing first. I recently put a new rad in a Civic, a TYC brand obtained from Amazon, great fit, quick delivery, very satisfied. Looks like a TYC for your vehicle,
Half a quart every couple weeks not too bad, but a new rad is the way to go if you plan on keeping the vehicle for any length of time.

I agree a new rad is the best way to go, in the meantime get bars powder or tab stopleak, they are typically a dollar and some change at your local Wal-Mart, I've used the powder that comes in a little silver tube, it works and doesn't gum up the system. I would avoid ANYTHING that is some kind of liquid goop that is meant to be put in the radiator.

Originally Posted By: SVTCobra
I would use some plastic epoxy mix to seal up the tank. Drain the radiator below the level of the leak first, then follow the instructions on the epoxy. Not perfect but for a few dollars I would try that before replacing the whole radiator.

http://www.jbweld.com/product/j-b-plasticweld/

Would MarineWeld perhaps be a better choice for this application due to the constant exposure to coolant?

MarineWeld

Originally Posted By: NMBurb02
I would use some plastic epoxy mix to seal up the tank. Drain the radiator below the level of the leak first, then follow the instructions on the epoxy. Not perfect but for a few dollars I would try that before replacing the whole radiator.

Would MarineWeld perhaps be a better choice for this application due to the constant exposure to coolant?

MarineWeld

Same product in different packaging..

+1 I would add that using a dremel bit on the crack to grind a V then drill a few small holes in the V and at each end of the crack and using a sanding drum/disk around the crack will give a much better repair.
It will probably last as long as the rest of the radiator. I did this years ago on some car as a temp fix and the guy never bothered replacing it. It held up until he sold it a few years later.

Originally Posted By: Trav

+1 I would add that using a dremel bit on the crack to grind a V then drill a few small holes in the V and at each end of the crack and using a sanding drum/disk around the crack will give a much better repair.
It will probably last as long as the rest of the radiator. I did this years ago on some car as a temp fix and the guy never bothered replacing it. It held up until he sold it a few years later.

+1

I don't recommend this but...About 25 years ago I was on an off road trip to the Mojave Desert with a couple buddies, three vehicles total. On a long whoop t dupe section at high speed the Jeep put it's fan through the radiator. Fan destroyed, radiator leaking seriously. In the middle of the desert, about 30 miles from nearest town (Baker)my buddy decides to remove the fan and patch the radiator by smearing black RTV silicone into the leaks. I told him it wouldn't work, but I was wrong. He made his way back to Baker with no fan, and no leaks. He bought a universal fan blade at Napa, and decided to try to drive back to San Diego (about 4 freeway hours). We made it without additional problems. 6 months later he still had not replaced the radiator and was still driving it with no leaks. Like I said, I do not recommend this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back