Radiator hose clamp pliers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this is worthless w/o pics but I will try to get one up. But had to share this with you guys. Today I was doing some maintenace on the truck. Nothing too big, I did the oil change, flushed the power steering fluid, changed the transfer case fluid and decided to flush the coolant while I was there. Those constant tension hose clamps (Mobea clamps they are sometimes called) can be a pain! I had broken my hose clamp pliers sometime ago and never replaced them. Well, after some time fiddling with these clamps using slip joint pliers, down to the AutoZone I go. WOW! I got a neat pair of specialized hose clamp pliers! Imagine Pliers with a long cable going to 2 jaws that grab the clamp and compresses them! Much better than my old tool.

They look very much like these:

http://www.matcotools.com/ProductImages/hcpr20.jpg

But these are $80 from Matco. The one's I got from AutoZone were $34 and worked great.

Last edited:
Sorry guys - I hit submit too soon and had to go back and edit! You guys were reading the original mistake...
smirk2.gif

Last edited:
Nice tool, I picked up the Sears version for about $40, great tool to have for those clamps.

Yep, my neighbor has a pair of the Craftsman. I borrowed his & took a couple minutes to remove a clamp on one of the heater hoses in the Grand Am 3.1L. I've tried before with regular hose clamp pliers or slip-joint & spent much more time & only ever removed one of the clamps (4 total).

Originally Posted By: Shagger
And vice grips are no good?!?
grin2.gif

No they aren't. I've used them in the past - but with tight clearances and all they don't work as well.

Originally Posted By: GeorgiaHybrid
If you work on several different cars, something like this kit comes in very handy and is a lot cheaper than the truck brands.

hose clamp pliers

WOW! That's a really nice set! I wish I'd knew about those before buying the one's I got. I'd a spent the extrt money for the versatility. Also love the website..I'll be surfing and shopping tonight!

GMBoy,

They are good people to deal with but be aware your order may come in from 3 or 4 shipping locations if you have several items. They are the cheapest place that I have found though and free shipping if the order is over $100.00

Originally Posted By: GeorgiaHybrid
GMBoy,

They are good people to deal with but be aware your order may come in from 3 or 4 shipping locations if you have several items. They are the cheapest place that I have found though and free shipping if the order is over $100.00

Good points -thank you. I found a few things I want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back