Radiator breakdown on hwy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
02 Grand Carvan 96K...Had the family up in NH (4hrs away). Curzin' home and the temp shoots rapidly up...I jam the heat on and pull over. I look in the overflow and it is full. What? I then feel the rad cap and it is cool. Knew enough that something was wrong, so I open and it is extremely low. So I fill it with my some coolant. Didn't see any leak. Drove 5 mins, same thing, over heats. I get under the car to try to see a leak and there were two lines running to the back of the van and it was dripping. So I got out the tape and did the best I could with it, filled with water and made it the 2 hrs. home. Felt pretty fortunate. Lines were rusted badly. Funny cause certain parts of line where aluminum but others were rusted steel.

I was nervous when pulling over as I have done a bit here, oil, brakes, fluid changes but not a whole lot but didn't think I could diagnose the problem.

My buddy used heavy duty rubber hose and cut out bad section of both lines. Lines, clamps and coolant were about 30. I can only imagine what they would have cost if were stuck at a dealer somewhere.

Guess it pays to have some tape, flash light and other goodies just in case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back