racking my brain over next vehicle purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Originally Posted By: EdwardC

Maybe a ranger or Tacoma with the 4cyl?

I was thinking of mentioning those in my first post, but didn't think OP would be interested given what he was already looking at.

I agree though, the basic requirements would have me looking at small trucks.

Room for one passenger, gang box can be secured in the bed, plenty of luggage space for 1-2 people with a Super Cab or Access Cab, I4s get up to 30 on the highway, they are comfortable, and they are reliable. You won't have room for a 3rd person comfortably, but if that's not an issue a small truck is perfect for this.
Yup a little pickup would be great for him, but if he can't get what he hauls wet he might consider a camper shell, lots of storage room in there then and rain proof.

I'm still a GM fan. They have provided me with about a million trouble free miles. I had a little affair with one of the Japanese automakers that people seem to rave over and it was a horrible experiment that I will not replicate ever again, so its back to GM. I haven't heard any 2.4 ecotech horror stories, but I imagine you could find an internet horror story on any make of an engine. Pretty sure I'd still be driving my 2.4 if i hadn't given it away in the divorce to the ex that totaled it completely snot faced.

Not sure what people are saying about the 2.4L Ecotec. My stepmom has a 2010 Pontiac G6 with it, not a single repair on the entire car. 66k miles too. Not 1 repair, just needed a brake light bulb and a battery (Arizona kills batteries quick)

Still has the original wipers, work great!

FWIW the wife has a 2012 Equinox with the 2.4 and it has been flawless. Keep in mind the problems with this engine came from extending the oil life too long. Since new, I did 3,000 mile intervals with 10W-30 instead of 5W-30. Still runs like new.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Originally Posted By: Bud_One
What about a Ford Transit Connect ? 2010s are in your price range.

Thats a good suggestion! Don't they get almost 30mpg hwy too?

We were driven from LAx to Disneyland in one of those...it had 5 seats, and was something that I really really thought would suit my family back here in OZ.

When you take US MPG and times by 4.54/3.78, they are really really good in Oz parlance.

HHR with 2.2 ecotec.

newest ones have DI, older do not. They make a passenger and a windowless version.

My sister in law had a 2010 GMC Terrain with the 2.4. It went to the dealer numerous times for timing chain issues and oil consumption issues. Internet searching revealed these were common problems with this engine. She traded it in at 105k when the timing chain was making horrible rattling noises for the umpteenth time. Stay far away from that POS engine.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
My sister in law had a 2010 GMC Terrain with the 2.4. It went to the dealer numerous times for timing chain issues and oil consumption issues. Internet searching revealed these were common problems with this engine. She traded it in at 105k when the timing chain was making horrible rattling noises for the umpteenth time. Stay far away from that POS engine.
Yup. Had two co-workers with that same vehicle (Equinox and a Terrain) and both grenaded the engine before 70K. One even did it twice before 100K. Awful engine.

In regards to 2.4 it used in ton of cars and the problem was fixed in the 2012 model year with an updated chain. Some 2010 and some 2011 cars had the problem due to extended oil life cycles.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
In regards to 2.4 it used in ton of cars and the problem was fixed in the 2012 model year with an updated chain. Some 2010 and some 2011 cars had the problem due to extended oil life cycles.

My sister in law's Terrain always had oil changes between 3-5k miles. I would hardly call that extended drain cycles.

Originally Posted By: FLORIDA
Wow thanks for the great info folks. What's the words on the 2.5 duratec in the Ford escape?

You'll probably get 24 MPG out of one of those, but the engines are reliable.

If fuel economy is important, you'll have to look at wagons and hatchbacks.

Jetta Sportwagen or Golf TDI
Prius V

As far as the HHR is concerned I would look past it. My wife has one and we owned it since new. Purchased in '06. The 2.4 has had one issue with the Cam Position Actuators. Which created insane hard shifting but the engine ran fine (gotta love computer engine management systems) I replaced both intake and exhaust side my self in an hour. Other then that the 2.4 has had no issues in the 110,000 miles she has on the car now. The problem is Everything Else on the car.

I would recommend the Honda CRV or Toyota Rav4. Hands down better reliability.

I was shopping for a CUV and ended up with my Vue. 5 years newer and with half the miles vs any Rav4 or CRV around.

The 2.2L Ecotec and 5spd are quite reliable and I average 26-27 mpg.

The Elantra Touring was a good suggestion - they have a lot of cargo room (I believe nearly equal my Vue)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back