Racing Oil

Just curious if any of you race in any faction, and what you use. I don't personally, but my friend has done amateur drag racing, short track racing and road racing for over forty years. I've worked with him on various projects, and through the years he has pretty much stuck to only three racing oils. I met him in 1982 at a local drag strip. He had an alcohol injected 68 Camaro with a big block 496 Chevy. He was a die hard Kendall GT1 user at that time, until the original formulation disappeared in the late nineties. He then switched to Pennzoil GT, and ran it up until around 2015, when he switched to Amsoil Dominator. He also started using 10w30 in many of his engines vs the 50wt he'd always used, although he still uses 15w50 in quite a few of his engines that have been built with large clearances.

So...what do you race and what do you use?

A group of us have a Lemons car. It is a 1989 CRX which actually has a history in the series and is known around the internet as "The Yellow Submarine". It has a D series of some sort, stock per the rulebook. Last oil change they used an OE Honda filter and I think M1 0W40. It was mostly just driven at Buttonwillow at HPDEs to get everyone cycled through the car before actually racing it. IMG_2350.jpg

Last edited:
I've got a vortech supercharged mustang. I originally used it for car shows,but over time was built up for 1/4 dragstrips. I use Schaeffer's 10w30 oil in this car.

Since it's winter now, I'll try to get some pictures taken of the car.

I've got a vortech supercharged mustang. I originally used it for car shows,but over time was built up for 1/4 dragstrips. I use Schaeffer's 10w30 oil in this car.

Since it's winter now, I'll try to get some pictures taken of the car.
Is that the Schaeffer's 7000 racing oil or the regular 7000 Supreme blend? Either way, great company with great products.

I mostly used Rotella 5W-40 on my Miata when I was tracking it. Run or two of M1 0W-40, and if I recall I did an even on M1 0W-20, although I'd have to check the records on that one. Redline MT90 in the gearbox, and M1 75W-90 in the diff.

I don’t race but use racing oil in some of my cars the Valvoline High Zinc 20W-50 is what I use.
VR-1 is a solid choice. The synthetic VR-1 was on my friend's list of oils to change to when Pennzoil gt became hard to find. Hes been very pleased with Dominator for his race cars and Z Rod in his classic cars with flat tappet camshafts. Another good high zinc racing oil is Driven GP-1.

VR-1 is a solid choice. The synthetic VR-1 was on my friend's list of oils to change to when Pennzoil gt became hard to find. Hes been very pleased with Dominator for his race cars and Z Rod in his classic cars with flat tappet camshafts. Another good high zinc racing oil is Driven GP-1.
That’s great. I haven’t seen the synthetic VR-1. I have a friend with a track car he uses the Lucas High Zinc for flat tappet engines and Classic Cars he swears by it I haven’t used it so don’t know how good it is.

My buddies and I goof around with a 1/4-mile drag car. It's a '67 Camaro with a 900-HP nitrous-injected 406-cu-in small block under the hood.

We use plain-jane Mobil 1 5w-30 purchased at Walmart. When we disassemble the engine at the end of the racing season, we detect zero wear on bearings, rings, and cylinder walls.

View attachment 36595
How many passes does the car get in a complete season?

I drag race a 1970 Nova with an alcohol carbureted 468 BBC, and a rear engine dragster with alcohol injected 632 BBC. As another posted, I was a big Kendall green fan until it went away, and I've been using Valvoline VR-1 since. Always conventional 20w-50 with Napa Gold or Wix filters.

I also have a couple junior dragsters with air-cooled single cylinder engines and run Mobil 1 5w-20 synthetic in those.

I see most of the vintage Le Mans, Can Am,Trans Am, F1 etc are using the reasonably new PTH Racing Oil. Not currently available here unfortunately.

Just curious if any of you race in any faction, and what you use. I don't personally, but my friend has done amateur drag racing, short track racing and road racing for over forty years. I've worked with him on various projects, and through the years he has pretty much stuck to only three racing oils. I met him in 1982 at a local drag strip. He had an alcohol injected 68 Camaro with a big block 496 Chevy. He was a die hard Kendall GT1 user at that time, until the original formulation disappeared in the late nineties. He then switched to Pennzoil GT, and ran it up until around 2015, when he switched to Amsoil Dominator. He also started using 10w30 in many of his engines vs the 50wt he'd always used, although he still uses 15w50 in quite a few of his engines that have been built with large clearances.

So...what do you race and what do you use?
I use straight 30w racing oil because cold starting is not a factor.

Two stroke engine in my Formula Car when it is completed. I am sure my selection of Redline Synthetic or Ravenol Racing Castor is not what you had in mind.

I race with the SouthEast Gassers. 1966 Chevy II, 100. Fully fabricated frame, drag only car. 477 ci big block Chevy engine, G-Force,4-speed trans. Leave the line around 7500 rpm, shift around 8300. I use Schaeffer racing oil, straight 30W. After the 2019 season, I pulled the engine down for a freshen up, and may I say, that the bearings looked almost brand new !!! They looked so new that I sent them to get Micro Blue coated. I haven't pulled it down this year, and probably won't, as good as it looked last time. I love that Schaeffer oil. Look up the SouthEast Gassers on youtube. All high winding, 4-speed, no breakout drag racing, and all cars are 1967 or older.

Back