Racing Oil Filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We race a 2001 Honda Integra Type R engine/trans in our Honda Challenge road racing car, and have been using K&N and Purolator Pure One filters thus far. We now run Redline Racing Oil, and I figured we should probably upgrade to a better filter as well.

We change the oil and filter every 2-3 events. I don't mind ordering online, is there anything better worth getting over the Pure One?

Thanks!

That is a fine filter for race engines, at least in my experience. We have used them on 944 and 911 engines in racing for years. Running Redline 10w40 and Brad Penn 20w50.

I think Moroso makes a racing filter. I do not know who makes them. I know Fram does as well, but I saw the construction diagram on the back of one and it looked too much like a standard orange can.

Both are excellent filters but Purolators have relatively thin cans so I don't know what the burst strength is. Is it a stock motor or is it built for racing? If it has a higher-pressure oil pump, you might run into possible filter bulging issues with thinner cans.

K&N filters have thick cans and the welded nut (I believe) has provisions for safety wire, which I assume you'd need. That on top of the fact that it's an excellent filter regardless would have me suggest you stay with K&Ns.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Both are excellent filters but Purolators have relatively thin cans so I don't know what the burst strength is. Is it a stock motor or is it built for racing? If it has a higher-pressure oil pump, you might run into possible filter bulging issues with thinner cans.

K&N filters have thick cans and the welded nut (I believe) has provisions for safety wire, which I assume you'd need. That on top of the fact that it's an excellent filter regardless would have me suggest you stay with K&Ns.

I was thinking along the same lines. The can on the Pure Ones is pretty thin. In a racing application you want a really thick can. The new RP filter is a good option and the K&N is a decent one as well.

Define what you need. Better flow? Better filtration? Both?

The Pure One is a great filter, if you've had no problems, might as well stick to it. I doubt the burst strength will be tested harder under racing conditions than it will during a cold start with very thick oil. Or in other words, if it survives the warm up process, you should have no problems out on the track.

If you want to try something else just to try it, there's the Royal Purple and Amsoil EAO filters that offer excellent flow and filtration along with very good construction. Very tough filters.

Is this a stock engine that's being run hard or is it built?

Last edited:
All 'racing' oil filters flow more by filtering less.
K&N is a reasonable compromise. It filters pretty good, and flows more than most others.
Oversize if possible.

Most designated racing filters are sieves. Fine to catch big chunks on an engine that you're probably going to be refreshing every 2-4 seasons anyway.

at bandimere dragstrip this last weekend alot of the dragsters and mods in these powerful engines use stainless steel filters by k&p engineering....the guys also use them in their daily drivers...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back