Quote to add an outside electrical outlet

Why should they do "little" jobs when they're plenty busy with bigger, more profitable ones ?

It might not be possible to simply add a 20-amp outlet. If there's 14-gauge UF Romex feeding that existing outlet, you can't run a 20A outlet off of that. What wiring feeds the garage ? Is the existing outlet 15A or 20A ?

Is the quote itemized ? Very curious what it includes if so.
For the same reason I do "little jobs" every day - people still need them done. Can you imagine me turning people away or charging a that's too small to do fee? Oh you just need a single surface filling which costs $250 but too bad I'm not interested unless you need a $1500 crown?

It's not itemized and my wife was home when he came out so not sure what that quote includes but that too is on him.

Last edited:
It's not itemized and my wife was home when he came out so not sure what that quote includes but that too is on him.
My wife is pretty smart (got me beat by a country mile) but for anything around the house I take the day off, if needed. Just works better that way, no having to explain stuff to me.

I have a drywall guy that specializes in small jobs . No construction or big remodels . No long lead times . He likes it that way and it works for me . Some contractors prefer to do business that way .

For the same reason I do "little jobs" every day - people still need them done. Can you imagine me turning people away or charging a that's too small to do fee? Oh yo just need a single surface filling which costs $250 but too bad I'm not interested unless you need a crown?

I HATE quotes and invoices that aren't itemized. If they can't provide a detailed quote so I know what I'm getting that's going to be a simple no from me and I'll get a quote elsewhere.

Yeah, I was figuring in a weatherproof box, gfci, wire nuts, electric tape, small amount of 12ga wire as it doesn’t sound like the OP has anything.

It probably would be more now, as I did mine 6 or 7 years ago.
Lowes had one of the packaged setups (box, outlet, gasket) for $5.99.
With the wire (and I did upgrade the outlet) I was right at $15.

For the same reason I do "little jobs" every day
That's your choice and don't get me wrong, I respect that. I also respect (and understand) that other businesses may have their reasons for turning down jobs. They simply may not have the add'l manpower and those "little" jobs often take up a lot more time (and money) on the back-end than people think. Travel time, fuel, etc to get to the job both ways, buying supplies (not likely in your case) at the supply houses. Those little jobs can end up taking a half day or best case, if they can schedule things well, they might squeeze three in in one day.

It's not itemized
Definitely means he simply isn't interested in the job, IMO.

I HATE quotes and invoices that aren't itemized. If they can't provide a detailed quote so I know what I'm getting that's going to be a simple no from me and I'll get a quote elsewhere.
I agree. I will also try and preempt things that are seemingly simple with some justification for why it costs what it costs. This was emailed to me and it would've gone a long way to put a sentence or two about why it's $1900. It literally said thank you for you business - please pay this amount so we can get started.

Reactions: Arc
Yeah, I was figuring in a weatherproof box, gfci, wire nuts, electric tape, small amount of 12ga wire as it doesn’t sound like the OP has anything.
Add 12-gauge wire to run back to panel, new circuit breaker, misc conduit bits, and labor for trenching/burying the wire between the house and garage.

That's your choice and don't get me wrong, I respect that. I also respect (and understand) that other businesses may have their reasons for turning down jobs. They simply may not have the add'l manpower and those "little" jobs often take up a lot more time (and money) on the back-end than people think. Travel time, fuel, etc to get to the job both ways, buying supplies (not likely in your case) at the supply houses. Those little jobs can end up taking a half day or best case, if they can schedule things well, they might squeeze three in in one day.

Definitely means he simply isn't interested in the job, IMO.
Not for nothin' but the website says, "No job too small"...lol

Add 12-gauge wire to run back to panel, new circuit breaker, misc conduit bits, and labor for trenching/burying the wire between the house and garage.
Garage is attached to house and breaker panel is right on the other side of the internal garage wall. It's about 6' from the proposed outlet to the breaker and you can see the existing wires go into the hole going to the panel.

This is what inflation looks like. Need to get used to it.
There are still decent people out there. I just had two outdoor water spigots and a couple of water shutoffs replaced for $270. Guy was there for 2-hours and that seemed more than fair. I expected it cost more.

I refuse to get used to it. If you do it will never go away.
Sure...this was just for convenience and not needed so we are just not going to do it. As I said, we are planing a larger interior remodel and I'm pretty sure I'm not going to call this guy for a quote.

I'm so tired of the attitude of local contractors. So many of them want nothing to do with "little jobs" but people still need little jobs done. Better yet, little jobs lead to bigger jobs and we are about to start planning a remodel.
It happens unfortunately. The right thing to do is to be honest. I've told people I'm not interested in a job. Smaller jobs I'll quote a minimum price. Bottom line be upfront.

I know that markets vary extremely across the nation, but I just had this completed a few months ago for under $2,000.

1672248150564.png

Of course the OP's solution is to get multiple bids and compare the work techniques and price. It's surprising how different trades people will vary on how they do the job.

Back