Quote for water heater replacement...ouch!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought the $250 I paid to replace my gas heater was too much. (Parts and materials)

Took a pipe cutter and some pipe dope and the cheapest heater at menards

I would think anyone can replace one, just a pain getting the old one out of the basement

Yeesh, $600 for a replacement water heater from HD, about $50 in parts and materials, and later bought a couple beers for a buddy with a pickup truck who helped get the new one into my house.

Did my own … dropped from a NG 40 to NG 30 needing the space to add a corner shower in the utility room
(for the pool users) … I paid $80 more to buy it from a plumbing company and asked him all the code questions = then also bought hose and new valves/fittings while at his plumbing supply location … (what they would use) …
Just over $700 all in and the smalller unit keeps up easily … NG rules IMO …

I just got my second (and probably last) quote. He said I can buy the water heater I like, and he will install for $650. This includes new copper lines (replace galvanized), adding water shut off valve, replacing gas shut off valve, new gas line, and new double walled vent pipe. Sounds like a winner to me!

That's about 3x what it should cost. I would definitely look for someone else to do it...

Originally Posted by pbm
Having just returned from wintering in Florida I'm not surprised....it' seems to be a state where teachers, police, nurses,etc....are paid just above minimum wage....but those who provide 'services' charge like everybody is rich. Also, Publix is very expensive because they have little competition.

PS: That $3300 quote is OUTRAGEOUS IMO....

You can always stay home.

There you go …
my family always had around 15-20 year runs from middle of the road Richmond units …
you'll be fine …

Originally Posted by gregk24
I just got my second (and probably last) quote. He said I can buy the water heater I like, and he will install for $650. This includes new copper lines (replace galvanized), adding water shut off valve, replacing gas shut off valve, new gas line, and new double walled vent pipe. Sounds like a winner to me!

That sounds fair if he's supplying the parts. Little bits like shut off valves will probably add up to $100+.

Originally Posted by Rmay635703
I thought the $250 I paid to replace my gas heater was too much. (Parts and materials)

Took a pipe cutter and some pipe dope and the cheapest heater at menards

I would think anyone can replace one, just a pain getting the old one out of the basement

This exactly!!!

Originally Posted by Wolf359

That sounds fair if he's supplying the parts. Little bits like shut off valves will probably add up to $100+.

Yes, he is supplying all the parts (except the water heater itself).

Originally Posted by dlundblad
Ouch.

Learn to DIY and go to electric.

Electric would cost over $130 more a year to operate than a gas one. Not to mention he'd have a massive install cost since he'd have to run wiring to the new heater that likely isn't there now.

188ABA93-7488-48EE-AC80-06B1FAB53A82.png

71E7BF3D-999F-4E27-8096-DC1AF8577247.png

Last edited:
Had a water heater fail, I think it cost about $600 for a replacement, full install, everything included, unit, labor, etc. Maybe a little more. The old one was rusty etc but not my concern, now I have nice hot water.

Originally Posted by PandaBear
I once had a botched kitchen remodeling job that a guy never get back to me with a quote, and after I asked a few times, he came back with 10k for about 1 week worth of work. A guy I worked with refer me to one of his vendor and he came back to $1850.

My parents replace water heaters on average every 2 years (10 rentals). He buy his own water heater from home depots, and his guy will install for $500, extra for work to bring up to code.

Many cities require a permit for a new water heater.

I do understand contractors want easy $$$ for an easy job.

Originally Posted by Skippy722
Ouch.

Electric would cost over $130 more a year to operate than a gas one. Not to mention he'd have a massive install cost since he'd have to run wiring to the new heater that likely isn't there now.

Not to mention that it's slower than a gas hot water heater. You get 77 gallons per hour with gas and 63 per hour with electric.

Ouch.

Exactly, I don't know why anyone would go electric if you already have a gas hook up. Less expensive to operate AND much faster return / higher first hour rating. Also gas insures you have hot water during power outages.

Ouch.

Exactly, I don't know why anyone would go electric if you already have a gas hook up. Less expensive to operate AND much faster return / higher first hour rating. Also gas insures you have hot water during power outages.

Don't all new gas water heaters use an electronic ignition module? Doesn't this mean no hot water in an extended power outage?

Originally Posted by zzyzzx

Don't all new gas water heaters use an electronic ignition module? Doesn't this mean no hot water in an extended power outage?

Mine has some weird self powered module that gets its energy from the gas flow. No electric going to it but I have blinking LEDs
21.gif

No electricity needed. They use a piezo ignitor to start a pilot light. The non-powered atmospheric vent is also a plus during an electrical outage, not to mention a lot simpler to operate and not repair (KISS). However, if he has his own well he won't have any water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back