Quote for water heater replacement...ouch!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got the first quote for replacing our 30 gallon natural gas water heater...$3,372! This includes installing a new 40 gallon water heater, and bringing everything up to current code (current water heater is 28 years old!

I have to admit I am a bit shocked. Upgrades including replacing about 2 feet of galvanized supply line (all above ground and exposed), installing new water and gas shut off valves, re-routing T&P valve to go outside, installing new vent pipe that is up to code and putting on a "hurricane cap" - not sure what this is, and installing an expansion tank.

Goodness! Is this worth the price? I mean I though maybe $2000 max!

I have another company coming out tomorrow to give me a quote, I hope and pray they can do it for a lot less!

So, i recently hooked up to a sewer line recently installed in the street; the first place said $2200 so I decided to stay with septic; Out of the blue I called another place and it was $1100 and done in 1/2 day.

There is hope....

Originally Posted by simple_gifts
So, i recently hooked up to a sewer line recently installed in the street; the first place said $2200 so I decided to stay with septic; Out of the blue I called another place and it was $1100 and done in 1/2 day.

There is hope....

Haha, thanks. The company that came out today has excellent reviews so I was hopeful.

Usually it's the guy that's not busy and can come right away to give you a quote that tends to be the highest. There was one plumber around here who worked in the rich towns that charged $5-$6k for a water heater. He had horrible reviews as people were happy they could get it done for 2-3k. Doesn't need too many of those 5-6k jobs to stay in business.

That expansion tank is a new thing, never really see anyone with it but it gets mentioned a lot.

Around here, it's normally $500-$600 for a regular swap without all that extra you mentioned. Handymen and cheap plumbers do it for $100-$250 depending on how easy it is. That's basically for labor plus the cost of the water heater.

Move on the to the next guy. Routing the T&P to go outside is extreme. Never seen it. They never even go off, it's just a safety device. Around here, it's just got to end 6 inches above the floor. I suppose you could always put in a pan and route it to the pan if you don't want your basement to get wet.

Have you thought about doing an electric unit? Your profile shows you in Florida. I think you would be better off capping the gas and going electric.

$3,372!?!?!?

That guy has got to be a multimillionaire.

It really isn't that hard to replace.

Do it yourself and take your time. If you've got to rent a $100 hotel room for a shower for a few days while you work on it then you're still way ahead.

Is that labor only or does that include the new water heater and all other materials? Are any permits or inspections required?

Originally Posted by tomcat27
wow. try a Home Depot - they have contractors lined up.
my 50 gallon NG was $1200

This. The $3000 quote tells you that he doesn't want the job.

Originally Posted by tomcat27
wow. try a Home Depot - they have contractors lined up.
my 50 gallon NG was $1200

This is through Home Depot!!!!

Originally Posted by dishdude
Is that labor only or does that include the new water heater and all other materials? Are any permits or inspections required?

Includes labor materials heater etc.

Originally Posted by MParr
Have you thought about doing an electric unit? Your profile shows you in Florida. I think you would be better off capping the gas and going electric.

Gas is significantly less to operate, and heats the water so much faster.

Having just returned from wintering in Florida I'm not surprised....it' seems to be a state where teachers, police, nurses,etc....are paid just above minimum wage....but those who provide 'services' charge like everybody is rich. Also, Publix is very expensive because they have little competition.

PS: That $3300 quote is OUTRAGEOUS IMO....

I once had a botched kitchen remodeling job that a guy never get back to me with a quote, and after I asked a few times, he came back with 10k for about 1 week worth of work. A guy I worked with refer me to one of his vendor and he came back to $1850.

My parents replace water heaters on average every 2 years (10 rentals). He buy his own water heater from home depots, and his guy will install for $500, extra for work to bring up to code.

How many people do you know that have encouraged their kids to be tradesmen? Plumbers? Welders? Sheet metal mechanics?

Here's a tip- either start appreciating the trades, buy your own tools and learn them or get ready to pay someone that does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back