Installing new water heater

I've done OK with a 40gallon. removal and installation is a 1 man job. The slope in the back yard allows me to get a siphon going that will drain the water tank or the heater. The propane htr abides in the dirt floor utility dungeon. The last one I changed took about 4hrs,including buying it at Lowes. The last 2' of copper is on unions at with ball valve shut offs.

Use this:

Typical plastic valve, but even brass, are very restrictive. This one makes it easy to periodically open drain to remove the crud.

One person job for 40 gallon type even when elevated 16" in garage per code. Use a floor jack with plywood to lift into position.

Last edited:
My wife was able to help me slide a pan under ours while I tipped it up. Not a big deal.

The lines should be reusable. Just make sure you note the orientation of the water inlets and outlets. Ours was completely different than the old one. Inlet is on the bottom. Outlet is 90% up the side. Both needed things added.

I am not expecting the water inlet and outlet to be similar to existing gas water heater. The heat pump is on the top of the tank so it's in the way to have the inlet and outlet on top. Obviously the outlet needs to be on top or on side at the top. But no reason cold water inlet could not be on the side near the bottom.

The unit has a built in leak detector. I will put back the Smart things water sensor I currently have for the gas water heater. If I went with a pan I would put the Smart things water sensor in the pan. But it will be in a garage. A leak would be annoying but not catastrophic.

Back