"Quiet" performance towing muffler for 2008 Silverado 5.3

Had Borla & Magnaflow on two different Hemi powered Rams. Borla sounded the all around best towing & cruising down the highway. Magnaflow was louder, sounded great wide open but was obnoxious after a while.

Who says the factory muffler is restrictive at your power levels? I've been doing quite a bit of data logging on my 2000 Silverado with a L96/6L90E swapped in....Running the stock LM7 5.3L Y-pipe/Converters & Cat-back, The exhaust only becomes restrictive at the very top of the power band.....I'd bet that it's the Y-pipe NOT the Cat-back/Muffler.

Who says the factory muffler is restrictive at your power levels? I've been doing quite a bit of data logging on my 2000 Silverado with a L96/6L90E swapped in....Running the stock LM7 5.3L Y-pipe/Converters & Cat-back, The exhaust only becomes restrictive at the very top of the power band.....I'd bet that it's the Y-pipe NOT the Cat-back/Muffler.
I am looking for a slightly more aggressive exhaust note than the factory muffler. Just a little more rumble would be nice. :cool:
This truck doesn't have the third cat after the Y-pipe, just a connection joint and a flex pipe (all looks factory).
There's enough straight exhaust pipe leading into the current muffler that I could add a glasspack or race bullet as a resonator, if I have to.

I'm really leaning towards either the DynoMax Super Turbo 17789, or the big case Ultra Flow 17235.
I like how the Gibsons sound but their larger round case muffler is just shy of $300.
Magnaflows are out, most of the vids I've watched, they have a lot more bark under engine load/accelerating than I'd prefer, and would definitely make a racket while towing.
Spintechs have a unique sound, but they have a pretty small case and being a chambered design would likely be too noisy on the highway while towing. And Flowmaster/Dronemaster... no thanks. I ruled those out pretty quick.

Thanks for everyone's responses! I appreciate the variety of feedback! (y)

I am looking for a slightly more aggressive exhaust note than the factory muffler. Just a little more rumble would be nice. :cool:
This truck doesn't have the third cat after the Y-pipe, just a connection joint and a flex pipe (all looks factory).
There's enough straight exhaust pipe leading into the current muffler that I could add a glasspack or race bullet as a resonator, if I have to.

I'm really leaning towards either the DynoMax Super Turbo 17789, or the big case Ultra Flow 17235.
I like how the Gibsons sound but their larger round case muffler is just shy of $300.
Magnaflows are out, most of the vids I've watched, they have a lot more bark under engine load/accelerating than I'd prefer, and would definitely make a racket while towing.
Spintechs have a unique sound, but they have a pretty small case and being a chambered design would likely be too noisy on the highway while towing. And Flowmaster/Dronemaster... no thanks. I ruled those out pretty quick.

Thanks for everyone's responses! I appreciate the variety of feedback! (y)
I had a long glass pack on an 03 avalanche used for towing. It was louder but not splatty, as I used the longest one they had.
It sounded pretty good , was not too loud except at wot.
It did pop a bit coming down steep inclines with the throttle closed, while engine braking.

I'm wondering what to use on my ram, I'm afraid the glass pack on a 6.4 would just be too loud.

I had a long glass pack on an 03 avalanche used for towing. It was louder but not splatty, as I used the longest one they had.
It sounded pretty good , was not too loud except at wot.
It did pop a bit coming down steep inclines with the throttle closed, while engine braking.

I'm wondering what to use on my ram, I'm afraid the glass pack on a 6.4 would just be too loud.

Non-welded ultra flow have a lot of glass pack sound qualities (since that’s what they are basically) but less volume than the same size glass pack.

Don't bother. Maybe one of the quiet flowmasters. My 8.1 Silverado has a Dynomax muffler and the drone is terrible at 55-60.
I've tried 3 or 4 different mufflers on my 8.1 (true factory duals, I bet yours is too) and can't get any sound at all. I'm going straight pipe after the cats next to see if that has any sound.

AP Exhaust VX2442

I took a shot and installed this muffler in place of the stock unit on my '00 Grand Cherokee, and I couldn't be happier with the outcome. Other than the muffler, the exhaust is 100% stock.

Sound at idle is barely noticeable unless you stand right next to the tail pipe, and 70 MPH drone is non-existent. As far as growl goes, it reminds me of a stock Escalade with the 6.2... just enough to perk your ear without attracting attention. 1500-3000 RPM sound best to me, below and above that range and the sound is muffled to within a few DB of stock. I say this after comparing my lady's stock exhaust side by side with mine.

AP Exhaust VX2442

I took a shot and installed this muffler in place of the stock unit on my '00 Grand Cherokee, and I couldn't be happier with the outcome. Other than the muffler, the exhaust is 100% stock.

Sound at idle is barely noticeable unless you stand right next to the tail pipe, and 70 MPH drone is non-existent. As far as growl goes, it reminds me of a stock Escalade with the 6.2... just enough to perk your ear without attracting attention. 1500-3000 RPM sound best to me, below and above that range and the sound is muffled to within a few DB of stock. I say this after comparing my lady's stock exhaust side by side with mine.
Wanna make a video walk around at idle, pulling away at mid-aggressive throttle and inside the vehicle while doing the same and post it to the 'Tube ?

They have an xlerator muffler that looks very comparable to a MagnaFlow or DynoMax straight through welded muffler for less than 1/2 the price.
AP Exhaust XS2589 AP Exhaust Xlerator Performance Mufflers | Summit Racing

Last edited:
Wanna make a video walk around at idle, pulling away at mid-aggressive throttle and inside the vehicle while doing the same and post it to the 'Tube ?

They have an xlerator muffler that looks very comparable to a MagnaFlow or DynoMax straight through welded muffler for less than 1/2 the price.
AP Exhaust XS2589 AP Exhaust Xlerator Performance Mufflers | Summit Racing

I'm not much of a videographer, but I can refer you to my original thread the day of installation:

Jeep exhaust

Oh, I didn't mention it there but that was warm idle and rev's, I installed the muffler immediately after returning to the shop from a 5 mile drive on a summer day.

Looking at the AP line of mufflers, it appears that my VX is a directional, chambered design with no internal insulation. The XS is a straight through design with perforated internal tubes and insulation material, so I have to imagine it will be some degree quieter than my VX. Much like you, I wanted no excess noise or drone, while still making a subtle statement. The VX fit the bill perfectly.

Last edited:
As a guy who owns / has owned 2 Silverados and 2 Suburbans (all with 5.3), I towed moderately heavy with all of these. I used several aftermarket exhaust including Borla, Flowmaster, Magnaflow and various no-name mufflers. if you want quiet, none of the aftermarket fill that bill. The Borla was probably the quietest at low rpm, but was very throaty when pulling. On my last Silverado, I put the stock exhaust back on, due to the constant “drone” on the highway.. If there was a horsepower increase, it was at fairly high rpm, not at normal towing use. If quiet is your objective, leave it stock.
This^^^^^^^^^^^ Makes sense.

Does the trans have a Tow/Haul mode that locks out Overdrive? You just need a lower gear: not a new muffler. Ymmv

My f150 5.4 has dual 2.5” all the way back to the dual 2.5” in single 3” outlet Flowmaster super 50. Sounds good, not too loud and saves $$ having to install a crossover pipe. Performance increase? Who knows. It’s a big heavy truck.

Changing gears is the best thing you will ever do. I hate the way the factories put ridiculously tall gears. I’m not going over 80mph in a truck.

Reactions: FZ1
I used the Gibson 3" round muffler for years. Tested it for flow in each direction, and it clearly flows better with the internal louvers aerodynamically oriented. Great sound, no drone, low restriction.

However, when it comes to real world flow, the Walker Dynomax Super Turbo 3" Oval muffler reins supreme. The 17769 (center/offset) is probably the closest choice. They used to make an oval version that was long and had offset/offset like the pic below.

Something to keep in mind, the classic flat oval muffler design is that way for a reason. The sound waves have a widely varying distance to reflect from. This helps produce a more pleasing sound.

landing_st_main.jpg

The Dynomax Super Turbo is probably the best choice in a quiet performance muffler. However, it is aluminized steel.

The quietest muffler is the one that doesn't rust. Therefore, the biggest/quietest Borla would be a good choice if you're willing to spend the extra money on it. Borla has a line called Touring, which sounds like a quieter muffler.

The complete Borla catback is $1000 from Summit. If you just want a muffler, you might like this one :unsure:

Here is a video clip of just the muffler #401158

Here is a clip of the complete catback #140230

Last edited:
Jegs welded chamber mufflers sound very good for the money my brother had them on a 1998 Chevrolet Silverado .

Back