Quiet OPE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who would slap me if I said I was willing to pay more for quiet Outdoor Power Equipment?
I realize mower decks create a bunch of noise but I really hate how loud mowers and other OPE really is.

I've found the cheaper machines really suck as far as noise. The mower decks are usually much louder, the engine compartments have no sound deadening, etc. It isn't really a big deal if you wear hearing protection or have a small yard, but run them all day and it becomes exhausting.

There is a reason why an X-Series John Deere costs so much. Quiet Kawasaki engines, quiet mowing decks, and some of the most comfortable machines I've ever used.

For commercial mowers, the machines with suspension (such as Ferris) are a night and day difference.

It would be nice. I just bought at mower with a kawasaki fx801v and that engine is so loud anything above a dead idle. It has a muffler, but it doesn't do much.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
It would be nice. I just bought at mower with a kawasaki fx801v and that engine is so loud anything above a dead idle. It has a muffler, but it doesn't do much.

Yeah seems most of the noise from small engines is not from the exhaust, but rather the internal engine components. I've seen people putting these huge mufflers on generators yet the thing sounds just as loud from 5 feet away.

And yet, some of the generators available are very quiet, you can hardly hear them run.
Why can't mowers, etc., be like that?
Yes, I know that a lot of the noise is from the mower decks and blades, but the
Intake and exhaust noise is very noticeable as well.

My 2¢

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Yeah the deck of a commercial mower is like twice as loud as the engine.

Yeah especially when you hit those low spots with little grass.
But as we know on the zero turns the engine is in your ear
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
I wear hearing protection every time I run the mower, so I dont care.

True- but everyone else in your area cares. Even in a remote area where I live I have a guy that mows 3-4 times a week because he is bored and the ZT drone is annoying even from several hundred yards away especially with woods

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Sears offers a quieter lawn mower:

B&S qpt....and how they did it...they mostly just throttled down engine speed from 3600rpms down on 2800rpms...

WoW I am impressed
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Kamele0N

B&S qpt....and how they did it...they mostly just throttled down engine speed from 3600rpms down on 2800rpms...

WoW I am impressed
smile.gif

Which will cause it to stall in tall grass... then it will be REALLY quiet.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Originally Posted By: Kamele0N

WoW I am impressed
smile.gif

Which will cause it to stall in tall grass... then it will be REALLY quiet.
lol.gif

Well thats pretty much what honda did on my older quadracut mower.That plus a bigger muffler and plastic shroud. The blade seems just as loud as the engine. It has no problem with tall or wet grass.

I'd consider it. My Sears garden tractor is easily louder than my neighbors mowers. It was the first mower I thought I needed earplugs to use.

I have a toro time master which has the same looking engine as what is on the mower on the left. That engine is not quiet, in fact it's louder than the flat head style engine it replaced. Other than that I guess it's okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back