Quicksilver (Mercury Marine) 35-802886O (Ford FL-1A)

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
This was installed by the marina we are no longer dealing with that changed the oil in the Supra when we specifically instructed them not to, since I have my own oil and filter choice for the boat :mad: We have typically taken care of the winterization and the only thing they have to do is shrink and store it.

This filter was in service for the 2021 summer season, I have no idea what oil they put in it, might have been Mercury/Quicksilver 20w-40? Who knows. Clearly, they changed the oil before the boat was wrapped, as the filter is labelled Fall 2020.

This is the ugliest looking can I've ever posted. I was at the cottage, forgot my filter wrench, and this had been put on there by a gorilla. I had to use a long screwdriver and a makeshift strap made out of a life preserver belt to get the filter off, and in doing so, dented the can pretty badly.

It has a nitrile ADBV, which didn't seem to be holding much back, but I am letting it drain for the next few hours, after which I'll cut it open, take some pics, and then post them in this thread.

Presently, it is draining into a Mason (Crown if we are being pedantic) jar on the corner of one of my workbenches:
IMG_3465.jpeg

Some pics of when it was removed:
09A80478-0367-45D8-8D29-5C330444CEF0_1_105_c.jpeg

F641C4D0-146E-4A3E-9011-18621A6CF398_1_105_c.jpeg

80D99BEB-E4A7-4F21-80AE-4EFFAFBEFAD6_1_105_c.jpeg

5223BCDA-B345-4AB1-A53E-5C59170ABE1B_1_105_c.jpeg

Presently, it is draining into a Mason (Crown if we are being pedantic) jar on the corner of one of my workbenches:

1655163515578.png
I don't see any oil filter. :D

Did you put something in the base plate holes to hold the ADBV open a bit?

OK, pics! Don't mind the damaged media, I buggered it up a bit trying to get it out of the can, it was REALLY stuck due to the large dents.

ADBV was very pliable still, which was good. Very interesting bypass valve arrangement (4-hole plate w/leaf spring).
IMG_3468.jpeg

IMG_3469.jpeg

IMG_3470.jpeg

IMG_3475.jpeg

IMG_3472.jpeg

IMG_3473.jpeg

IMG_3474.jpeg

ADBV was very pliable still, which was good. Very interesting bypass valve arrangement (4-hole plate w/leaf spring).
Hard to determine exactly how the bypass valve design works. The leaf spring needs to put constant pressure on the top end cap to keep the element tight, so how do the 6 holes get opened up to bypass while the leaf spring is always putting pressure on the end cap - ??

Hard to determine exactly how the bypass valve design works. The leaf spring needs to put constant pressure on the top end cap to keep the element tight, so how do the 6 holes get opened up to bypass while the leaf spring is always putting pressure on the end cap - ??
I'm guessing something to do with deflection? Perhaps when enough pressure is put on the media stack through the large hole in the bottom of the leaf spring, it deflects, allowing oil to flow up and through the six holes?

I'm guessing something to do with deflection? Perhaps when enough pressure is put on the media stack through the large hole in the bottom of the leaf spring, it deflects, allowing oil to flow up and through the six holes?
Probably ... does the part in the end cap "oil can" in and back out when you push down in the center area?

1655170905038.jpg

BPV is the Champ “clicker” design and not the usual poppet valve we see on Frams and Puro filters. It works on “oil canning” at a certain PSI range. There were people dismissing these(and the combo ADBV/BPV used on E-cores) when they were introduced in the early 2000s.

My experience, and 2 cents with large diameter filters with greater surface area, one full turn way be too much. Try 7/8 turn, 3/4 if that's still too hard to remove.

Back