Quick Release Oil Drain Plug

Rex

For those utilizing a quick release oil drain plug, which one are you using? How do you like it and any preference over the one you're using versus another? No-Spill is the one Im leaning towards but I know there are others like Stahlbus, EZ Oil Drain, Valvomax, Fumoto, etc..
Thanks.

I used to be a naysayer, but I flat out love the MityVac. Here's yesterday's GS service. Just pump it up and leave it be. I did some tree trimming in the front yard and came back. No mess; no fuss. Easy peasey.
I service a few elder friend's cars. Just chuck it in the back of the truck and off to their house. You might not even warsh your hands.
aGBpciIRv9nuykg58GEwK0DKtvregpI31pQ4ssbHduGvw0iEfkOILZ-ZknmHBNS8KiVUjYidKAqOPHF4rND7teCOvlosDKkEHyuanjZXGkhN6lcc4Yy1Y_7F0U9TLftpaDGmn9zuWIF0Tu2lWZa7QEQsoe17lvvJpJ6xPFOwx-plNAGHPecfsmSsz3GUOG0o9_crVRUhBzCNaJRwAw219B3u6XosYNf4-LShSCQPtPGTOhxPQeki8aABS-87g1uIwxcwdVkv89i3691KEmXz98T4QnG0u3jJYdYMbcvSF0USYBXj6iV5LKXHZjp6AlvNvCBfQzCUQPN-3bz4i-p3QvGSrRHfggbqbs611fGHtfDvZR1vui75Fmv1TmlftvXLsojdJeZmjNYsHHCkhyQMRA8X7tjRV2biIDTwdqEtHaRH23IZ_8-E2H8eXxLEowhGbbfaCM1F2um700NkJQ3-ll036wqQuFc-lluCkRhtborQvQpeCJj97ANrpblvc0s2ztpmdOfwRMVNAyD9H8AjhTM1KU4UjnqLsMp6jMVKlOGV4RQp5L18233cRgNq9Lxb3FC9A0ZcNk2VUm12D2cwjwZd1qF7OI1ZHW63ELoDwrmaa_a1H5pSZ8nph9CRp-RXStsGIqsqbz0W5UriQYVlYQEo1E3RzvP8ZiSjwRuiy3oHnzCumoB8oXaxsi-ADcGtnYA3rV8H-yrhANqcdPFOk2p5=w715-h953-no

I use the MityVac on one car, Fumotos on others. Have used them since the 90s, I like them for their toughness, ran over a concrete median and hit one, shaved a piece off the nipple but kept going for years. Had one on over 15 years. Solid, reliable!

I used to be a naysayer, but I flat out love the MityVac. Here's yesterday's GS service. Just pump it up and leave it be. I did some tree trimming in the front yard and came back. No mess; no fuss. Easy peasey.
I service a few elder friend's cars. Just chuck it in the back of the truck and off to their house. You might not even warsh your hands.
aGBpciIRv9nuykg58GEwK0DKtvregpI31pQ4ssbHduGvw0iEfkOILZ-ZknmHBNS8KiVUjYidKAqOPHF4rND7teCOvlosDKkEHyuanjZXGkhN6lcc4Yy1Y_7F0U9TLftpaDGmn9zuWIF0Tu2lWZa7QEQsoe17lvvJpJ6xPFOwx-plNAGHPecfsmSsz3GUOG0o9_crVRUhBzCNaJRwAw219B3u6XosYNf4-LShSCQPtPGTOhxPQeki8aABS-87g1uIwxcwdVkv89i3691KEmXz98T4QnG0u3jJYdYMbcvSF0USYBXj6iV5LKXHZjp6AlvNvCBfQzCUQPN-3bz4i-p3QvGSrRHfggbqbs611fGHtfDvZR1vui75Fmv1TmlftvXLsojdJeZmjNYsHHCkhyQMRA8X7tjRV2biIDTwdqEtHaRH23IZ_8-E2H8eXxLEowhGbbfaCM1F2um700NkJQ3-ll036wqQuFc-lluCkRhtborQvQpeCJj97ANrpblvc0s2ztpmdOfwRMVNAyD9H8AjhTM1KU4UjnqLsMp6jMVKlOGV4RQp5L18233cRgNq9Lxb3FC9A0ZcNk2VUm12D2cwjwZd1qF7OI1ZHW63ELoDwrmaa_a1H5pSZ8nph9CRp-RXStsGIqsqbz0W5UriQYVlYQEo1E3RzvP8ZiSjwRuiy3oHnzCumoB8oXaxsi-ADcGtnYA3rV8H-yrhANqcdPFOk2p5=w715-h953-no
A lot cleaner for sure but you still have to get that oil filter or do you skip every other oil change? How long does it take to drain and how certain are you all of the oil is removed?

Stahlbus is my choice for quick drain oil valve. Well designed, build and low profile with accessories to suit different needs.

A lot cleaner for sure but you still have to get that oil filter or do you skip every other oil change? How long does it take to drain and how certain are you all of the oil is removed?
I replace the filter every other service. Lexus calls for 10K OCIs; I do 5K. Remember, they are idiots. The MityVac is a great tool, but does not work for every engine. Last time, I did the "how much oil is left" test. Not much...
Check out my "Post your latest oil change", May 11, 2021, post #14,929, which was the prior GS service.

The MityVac comes with 2 dip stick tubes; I gave up on the larger one. You can fish around better. Make sure the oil is at least warm.
Use the dip stick to estimate how far to stab the extract tube.
Once it starts to suck air, I fish the tube around to suck a little more out. It works pretty well, IMO.
The nice thing is, you reverse a switch and pump it out to your recycle containers.
As far as time, it is far faster than ramps, floor jacks, jack stands, oil drain pans, dirty clothes to crawl around on the ground, SPILLAGE, cat litter, rags, 14mm wrench for Toyletta drain plug, 20 cent warsher, Snap On torque wrench, etc.
5 to 10 minutes. Not bad.

I suggest giving it a try. And post your results.

Last edited:
I replace the filter every other service. Lexus calls for 10K OCIs; I do 5K. Remember, they are idiots. The MityVac is a great tool, but does not work for every engine. Last time, I did the "how much oil is left" test. Not much...
Check out my "Post your latest oil change", May 11, 2021, post #14,929, which was the prior GS service.

The MityVac comes with 2 dip stick tubes; I gave up on the larger one. You can fish around better. Make sure the oil is at least warm.
Use the dip stick to estimate how far to stab the extract tube.
Once it starts to suck air, I fish the tube around to suck a little more out. It works pretty well, IMO.
The nice thing is, you reverse a switch and pump it out to your recycle containers.
As far as time, it is far faster than ramps, floor jacks, jack stands, oil drain pans, dirty clothes to crawl around on the ground, SPILLAGE, cat litter, rags, 14mm wrench for Toyletta drain plug, 20 cent warsher, Snap On torque wrench, etc.
5 to 10 minutes. Not bad.

I suggest giving it a try. And post your results.
Awesome trick. I do 5K oil changes with filter for my older vehicle but looks like a great tool for the shop!

I settled on the Valvomax. The Fumoto looks like a refugee from the Home Depot plumbing aisle, the Stahlbus is not stainless.

Same here. Valvomax on both my Jeep Grand Cherokee, and my Toyota Camry. Works like a champ, and doesn't leak a drop. My older Ford F-150 has a Fram Sure Drain. It has worked very well for the last 20+ years. I never understood why Fram quit making them. I agree on the Fumoto. Looks like a plumbing abortion. Also, there is no secondary leak protection.

LMkhNAv.jpg

I installed a Fumoto on mine the fist time I did a change on it. Haven't done a second drain yet. I did have to use an angle grinder to remove about 1/8 of an inch from the corner of an exhaust flange to get the Fumoto to clear it when I turned the Fumoto to thread it into the oil pan. Any of the above is preferable to putting up with the mess of splatter when you first remove an oil drain plug. Especially if you are going to keep the vehicle for a long time. If it is a keeper, it is worth putting on something that is clean to use.

I sprang for an Oil-Udder using the BITOG discount. That was a waste of money, because my filter sits at a 45 degree angle and there is too much spill.

In the future I will loosen the oil filter just a small amount to insure it is not stuck, and then punch a hole with a screwdriver on the lowest edge and drain it before removing it. That should be fairly clean.

Back