Quick rant about consumer "skimping" logic.

One super annoying trend I have clearly identified with customers about their vehicles is a little comical and irritating. When customers are on a budget, they frequently skimp on vehicle maintenance. What doesn't make sense to me is the choice of things they skimp on. For example, one customer of mine will NOT go past 3,000 miles on their oil change while using M1 and a NAPA Gold. Complete waste. But the same customer will push their tires to the absolute limit, steel showing through and all, and not change the tires until they blow out. They'll also refuse to change their wipers until they scratch the windshield. If either variable (control/visibility) causes them to total the car, what was the point of that 3,000 mile oil change again? But okay, I'll even give the benefit of the doubt, tires are slightly more expensive. So I'll get to the reason I made this post.

Several of my customers will skimp on oil changes (intervals and/or oil choice for their habits), refuse to allow me to change their clogged air filter, or think I'm outright trying to scam them when I recommend a brake fluid flush when it's the original black fluid at 250K on their '98 Accord. Yet, when these same people come to me asking for wipers, I try offering them a legitimate "skimp" that gets refused 100% of the time. For example, someone asks for wipers on an '03 Silverado that takes 22s. I offer them a pair of 22" beams for $25, but follow with a higher quality set of 21" beams for $10 (yes, $5 each, because they are the final remnants of a set I no longer carry. I never explain that though because I fear they will think they are old). I explain they are only 1 inch shorter so basically 1/2" on each side. Definitely still safe, and I'd bet $100 if I installed them without telling them, they wouldn't know the difference. But they choose not to skimp there, guaranteed, every single time. It's maddening. It's not like I'm suggesting they use 14s instead of 22s. It's one lousy inch.

If your favorite beer is offered in 16oz cans as a six pack for $10, and beside it was a limited-time deal for the same beer/6-pack in 15oz cans for $2.99, what compels someone (when made aware of both items' prices) to pick the 'normal' 16oz can?

I just want to move four 21" blades... 😞

I'll offer my opinion/experience. I have female friends who always want me to come with them if they go get an oil change, tires, etc, because they know (and unfortunately this is true) if a female goes and gets anything done vehicle-wise and they're alone without a man beside them, the shops are like vultures trying every which way they can to take advantage of them, and tire shops are the worst.

Quick lube places, they'll change the oil, no up-sell attempts, out the door. Tire shops try every sleazy move to put all their rip-off add ons (especially their warranties, because all tires are warrantied from the manufacturer, and are not needed), because they're only money makers and spiffs for the shop. That can all add up to hundreds of extra dollars.

It's funny how I'll stand back and hear them spew all their up-sell nonsense, and as soon as I walk up and present myself "as their man", they immediately shut up. Such a shame.

I would not put wipers that are shorter than the manufacturer's specification on a customer's car. It's work that does not meet safety standards.

They're not knowledgeable about cars, and are afraid to deviate.

That said, some are just OCD, but not about everything. And of course, we're all nutty in our own ways.

But the same customer will push their tires to the absolute limit, steel showing through and all, and not change the tires until they blow out.

Here in Virginia we have an annual safety inspection, probably because the average Virginian would do the same thing if they weren't being forced to maintain their vehicle.

In Louisiana , those worn out tires will not pass the annual safety inspection . But I get where you're coming from .

I'll offer my opinion/experience. I have female friends who always want me to come with them if they go get an oil change, tires, etc, because they know (and unfortunately this is true) if a female goes and gets anything done vehicle-wise and they're alone without a man beside them, the shops are like vultures trying every which way they can to take advantage of them, and tire shops are the worst.
Women do need to be educated (as do uneducated men). Sweetie never cared to learn about cars, but she did learn not to do any service before discussing it with me. It's not that I'm so great mechanically, but I've been in the area for about 50 years, and I know the reputable, trustworthy shops.

For example, she once picked up a screw in her tire which resulted in a leak that set off the TPMS. She was near a tire shop, drove in for an inspection, and was told she needed a new tire, that hers was unrepairable. She called me and I suggested we visit a local shop that I've done business with since 1970. Coincidentally, all the service writers in the shop are women. We took sweetie's Prius across town and they were able to repair the tire, which, more than a year later, is doing just fine.

We had a nearby shop run by women, and they offered free classes to women which taught them some basics as well as how to talk to repair shop personnel and not be intimidated by unscrupulous shop personnel.

Women do need to be educated (as do uneducated men). Sweetie never cared to learn about cars, but she did learn not to do any service before discussing it with me. It's not that I'm so great mechanically, but I've been in the area for about 50 years, and I know the reputable, trustworthy shops.

For example, she once picked up a screw in her tire which resulted in a leak that set off the TPMS. She was near a tire shop, drove in for an inspection, and was told she needed a new tire, that hers was unrepairable. She called me and I suggested we visit a local shop that I've done business with since 1970. Coincidentally, all the service writers in the shop are women. We took sweetie's Prius across town and they were able to repair the tire, which, more than a year later, is doing just fine.

We had a nearby shop run by women, and they offered free classes to women which taught them some basics as well as how to talk to repair shop personnel and not be intimidated by unscrupulous shop personnel.
That’s awesome! Some of the best techs I know are women👍

You're talking about the same type of people who have no problem laughing and bragging about losing $15k in Vegas, but will beat and cuss and try to tip over a soda machine if it takes their .95 cents.

I would not put wipers that are shorter than the manufacturer's specification on a customer's car. It's work that does not meet safety standards.

I usually look at the wiper pattern and do just the opposite...put a larger wiper on. My rear wiper is +2", and works great!

In Louisiana , those worn out tires will not pass the annual safety inspection . But I get where you're coming from .
It depends on how much moss is hanging from the shade tree it is under. :) I had a car that was sitting for 5 years in the sun. Tires had clear dry rot on them. I just brushed off the obvious mud and drove those/trotted flatspotted tires to the inspection center to get a tag so I could sell the car. (buyer insisted on a clean inspection) I was expecting to get rejected but nope. They rollin' They good.

Back