Quick Mopar antifreeze question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I already know the answer to this, but wanted to double check with the authorities.

Mopar 5yr/100k 68048953AB MS-9769G

This is HOAT coolant? Fine to use Valvoline / Zerex G-05 50/50 Premix?

I am pretty sure it is, but the Mopar jug doesn't reference HOAT or G-05 so I just wanted to confirm.

My understanding is Mopar uses G-05 BUT puts an orange dye in it so people mistake it for dexcool, but it's really G-05.

so you are saying mopar wants to trick people into mistaking their anti freeze for dex cool but it's really G0-5 ?

I have one question.... Why would they want to do that?

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
New models use something different now.Its always changing....

New Mopar's do?

Originally Posted By: Johnny248

New Mopar's do?

Yes. Chrysler is switching to an OAT AF for new models, but it will not contain 2eha which is a main inhibitor in DexCool. You can read about it in the link if you are interested. It's explained very well in the article.

G-05 (HOAT) is still correct for you if you have an older model.

http://articles.sae.org/11284/

Originally Posted By: sayjac

New Mopar's do?

Yes. Chrysler is switching to an OAT AF for new models, but it will not contain 2eha which is a main inhibitor in DexCool. You can read about it in the link if you are interested. It's explained very well in the article.

G-05 (HOAT) is still correct for you if you have an older model.

http://articles.sae.org/11284/

I believe that Honda and Nissan both use 2eah free OAT with their "Blue Coolant" which is also silicate free. Off subject, but that is what I have been running in my Mitsu engine for some time. I think that the original Mitsu coolant was a low-silicate formula , but I have yet to see any problems with the blue coolant installed.

Back to the Chrysler thing, I wonder why they are switching when G05 is supposed to be such a good product? I haven't read the link yet but I wouldn't be suprised if it has something to do with Fiat and wanting one world wide antifreeze?

I read the link and was wrong since Fiat uses a different version. It does look interesting though with an extreme service life.

I know when I was looking at the new Challengers, their coolant was purple in color. I have no idea what kind it was though.

Wayne

Originally Posted By: wtd
I know when I was looking at the new Challengers, their coolant was purple in color. I have no idea what kind it was though.

Wayne

That purple is the new Chryser OAT that is supposed to be good for 10 years it says. There is a time released capsule in the resivoir that replenishes silicates into the coolant over time. Looks pretty cool.

Wayne

That purple is the new Chryser OAT that is supposed to be good for 10 years it says. There is a time released capsule in the resivoir that replenishes silicates into the coolant over time. Looks pretty cool.

I believe you are confusing Mercedes Benz(Daimler) silicate based AF with the new Chrysler OAT. The new Chrysler OAT, similar to other OATs is silicate free. But it is purple in color.

Originally Posted By: sayjac

Wayne

I believe you are confusing Mercedes Benz(Daimler) silicate based AF with the new Chrysler OAT. The new Chrysler OAT, similar to other OATs is silicate free. But it is purple in color.

The new Chrysler OAT is rated for 10yr/150k. And silicate packet is a Daimler thing, you are correct.

Also states that CCI is going to manufacture the Chrysler antifreeze, so I'm sure it is probably pretty similar to the blue fluids that Honda and Nissan use as a silicate free oat fluid.

The Asian AF's are 'similar' in that they are also silicate free and extended service life. However the Asian AFs use some P(phosphate). They are a phosphated OAT also called a P-HOAT. The Chrysler OAT doesn't use P nor 2eha(found in Dexcool OAT), so it's a 2eha free OAT.

My 13 Ram with the 6.7 Cummins uses the new coolant. A few weeks back I had a coolant light come on that it needed a top off. I usually use Cat coolant in my trucks but didn't want to mix it with the new Chrysler stuff. So I just went to the dealer bought some. Kinda weird seeing purple coolant.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rendezvous
I have heard from a few places that the new Chrysler stuff is purple Dexcool.

In a broad general way that is accurate. It is an OAT AF like Dex, however unlike Dex it doesn't contain the somewhat controversial inhibitor 2eha. It's an extended/long life OAT like Dex without the plasticizer 2eha. If you want to read more about it, the sae article a linked in my first post explains it. However, I believe the pic used of the recovery tank is a file photo showing the older mopar G-05 AF.

So, I wouldn't run DexCool in place of it. Otoh, the new Ford AF is DexCool.

The Mopar HOAT coolant is dyed a pinkish/orange color. The Valvoline / Zerex G-05 is the same coolant without the dye. It is clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back