Quick Lube prices... !?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got a local quick lube flyer in the mail, advertising a spring oil change "special... " and the prices were eye-opening...

Conventional oil change... $ 39.99 + $ 4.99 shop fee / disposal fee , regular $ 64.99...

Synthetic oil change ... $ 99.99 + $ 4.99 , regular price $ 119.99...

$ 60.00 MORE for synthetic...? Really...?

These are CDN prices, but they caught my attention because I just changed the oil on my Honda... Fram Ultra filter, sale price $ 9.99, plus a jug of M1 , $ 28.99 on sale, total price $ 38.98...

And our local eco center takes used motor oil / filters at no charge...!

How do these prices compare to your locale...?

Mine too, with a car wash vacuum and chocolate for the kids (godiva or other crud)
Are they filing your crank case eith stem cells and unicorn tears?

$30ish for conventional and $60 for synthetic is going rate. This seems to be similar at local dealers except for Euro stuff like BMW, Audi, MB where you pay $150ish+

24.99 coupon oil and filter at a Valvoline shop down in Plymouth. I go there with the work van and I was mulling over getting to know my new to me '09 Camry this winter and MDW suggested it and I told her to do it. She drove it in and loved the service. I told her not to be up sold. She wasn't and was happy to boot. I printed out a coupon and directions to the shop, their hrs,etc. A well spent 25 bucks. I was getting enough exercise keeping my driveway clear with a 24" Ariens snow blower.
grin2.gif

Cheaper down here.

No quick lube or VW dealer even has proper oil for my car. I'm forced to change it myself.

Prices at quick-lubes can be a hyper-local thing. Late last year I moved 45 miles to be closer to my job. Where I lived before you could almost always find a $14.95 oil change special, from Meineke or a local shop, both advertised in the local freebie weeklies.

Where I live now it's tougher. Pep Boys often has its bulk-conventional OC special for $19.99. I've not seen one advertised cheaper 'round here. Regular price for these places is insane, of course. Maybe $33.95 for dino with a stock filter, up to more than twice that for full synthetic and even more for M-1.

Hope never to go to a quick-lube again. When my schedule, back and the weather don't cooperate, I take my car to a mechanic I trust, who does it for $15 with the oil/filter I provide....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
The $4.99 part used to be the cost of the whole oil change...

Gotta love those "shop fees..." , and I believe most auto repair shops SELL their used oil... LOL.

23$ for 6qt m1 EP 0w20 and a toyo roki subaru filter(oem)
(second change only costs 20 since its 5.2QT)

Those seem like good prices. Going to walmart i can change for about thirty dollars....at a proper parts house it would probably run $45 after taxes. I can get a five quart semi-syn at a lube shack for right around $65. So, for twenty bucks more, noone has to risk death since they have a pit. They have a look-see underneath and maybe bring some other things to your attention. What more could youaskfor, and for what? Once or twice a year?

Local ford dealer w coupon $29.99 syn blend oil change for fords only. My buddy takes his 2013 explorer every 6500 miles

Originally Posted By: barkingspider
Local ford dealer w coupon $29.99 syn blend oil change for fords only. My buddy takes his 2013 explorer every 6500 miles

That isn't a bad deal at all, especially if they are installing a motorcraft filter as well. That's about what the materials will cost at a part house for 5qt of motorcraft syn-blend and motorcraft fl500s

My wife used to take her car to the local quick lube. It was $20 for conventional. When the engine started to lose a little oil, I told her to get the high mileage oil. The oil only costs an extra $3 per jug in the store but the quick lube charges an extra $30 for high mileage syn blend. No more quick lube for us.

Originally Posted By: geeman789

Gotta love those "shop fees..." , and I believe most auto repair shops SELL their used oil... LOL.

not here. They charge $.75 per gallon to pick it up

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: geeman789

not here. They charge $.75 per gallon to pick it up

They are free if dropped off at your parts store

Originally Posted By: Leo99
My wife used to take her car to the local quick lube. It was $20 for conventional. When the engine started to lose a little oil, I told her to get the high mileage oil. The oil only costs an extra $3 per jug in the store but the quick lube charges an extra $30 for high mileage syn blend. No more quick lube for us.

The difference is that the "conventional" is coming from bulk, which perhaps you can value at .25cents/quart or near nothing.

But anything except conventional they have to pay by the bottle and marking up accordingly.

So to compare it apples/apples you should compare going from free conventional->synthetic, and not just the $3 difference, at MSRP for synthetic it's understandable.

Still, for any retail service you should expect a markup, why would it not be expected at a quick lube? When you go to a restaurant or bar and order a miller light in a bottle, you don't compare it to your case that you can get at costco.
Or even a fountain soda. it's perhaps .20cents in cost, you're paying well over $1 for it even at a fast food join.

Not saying you should do these things, just like how financially savvy people won't pay $5 for a beer at a restaurant, but it is understandable.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back