Quick engine bay cleaning of beater

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sweet!!
thumbsup2.gif

When I bought a used Bobcat it was a requirement to get a hot/cold pressure washer. With that I can clean just about anything including handfuls of dirt and hydraulic fluid in the engine bay of the Bobcat.

LOL, my friend once "detailed" the engine and couldn't get it started anymore. He had to tow it to a mechanic. I forgot what went wrong, but it was an old car, it could have been distributor, I guess.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Did you clean the underside of the hood as well? Looks great and I like the steps/products you used.
thumbsup2.gif

I did not - it is somehow relatively clean and I was a bit scared to do it...

By the way:
As you can see I didn't get 2 areas completely clean:
intake manifold and exhaust heat shield .
The purple power/water and light scrubbing with brush didn't do much at all for these areas.

Any products/methods you guys recommend for those 2 areas?

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
As you can see I didn't get 2 areas completely clean:
intake manifold and exhaust heat shield . Any products/methods you guys recommend for those 2 areas?

I'd leave it alone since I didn't even notice. Natural patina for those items.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
LOL, my friend once "detailed" the engine and couldn't get it started anymore. He had to tow it to a mechanic. I forgot what went wrong, but it was an old car, it could have been distributor, I guess.

Did it to my grandmother's Pontiac 6000 wells turns out a heavy rain would have done the same thing but she never drove when it rained.

I big hole right in the top of the distributor cap.

I am impressed! That was just a simple hose down, spray de-greaser, brush where you can, then hose off? You didn't have to cover the alternator with a plastic grocery bag? I've always wanted to clean the engine bay, but worried that I would miss a pool of water somewhere and with Murphy's law it'll probably be an electrical area.

I'm pretty sure you were careful with the water near the battery. Again, looks better than I ever expected for something so simple.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: razel
You didn't have to cover the alternator with a plastic grocery bag? I've always wanted to clean the engine bay, but worried that I would miss a pool of water somewhere and with Murphy's law it'll probably be an electrical area.

I'm pretty sure you were careful with the water near the battery. Again, looks better than I ever expected for something so simple.

see here
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
I covered the alternator and fuse box areas with a plastic bag; I was still very nervous when I started the car for the 1st time after spraying water...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back