Questions regarding Ed's Red

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've used Ed's Red with great success for around ten years and am due to mix up a new batch. I'm wondering if it can be just as effective without adding the Acetone to it? Using ATF, Kerosene, and Turpentine in equal parts. What benefit does the Acetone add to the mix? Thoughts?

From http://home.comcast.net/~dsmjd/tux/dsmjd/tech/eds_red.htm

Quote:
Acetone is included to provide an aggressive, fast-acting solvent for caked smokeless powder residues. Because acetone readily evaporates and the fumes are harmful in high concentrations, it is recommended that it be left out if the cleaner will be used indoors, in soak tanks or in enclosed spaces lacking forced air ventilation. Containers should be kept tightly closed when not in use. ER is still effective without acetone, but not as "fast-acting".

google is your friend, this info is from the first hit.

There was recently a thread on penetrating oils and acetone in the mix does better than anything...

I intend to use inside, so may'be I will leave it out this time. I could always add it in later if I find the mix not good as hoped. Would their be a safer substitute perhaps?

Last edited:
Acetone makes Ed's Red a more powerful and faster acting cleaner. You can leave it out and Ed's Red will still work, although it won't be as fast acting.

If you use the acetone, be careful what kind of plastic bottles you store Ed's Red in as the Acetone will attack some plastics. I personally use some metal canisters I got via mail order. The Acetone may also attack some finishes on gun stocks, so wipe up quickly if you spill any.

Ed's Red with Lanolin added is a very good general purpose CLP. I have found with really difficult carbon and metal fouling Butches Bore Shine or Shooters Choice works better.

I've always stored it in a metal container. I know about it ruining finshes on a stock with it first hand, had to refinish the stock on my Lakefield 93M for this reason. This is part of why I'm thinking about leaving it out. I'm curious as to how well it will removing plastic wadding without the Acetone in it.

You can also substitute MEK for the acetone, it won't act quite as fast but won't evaporate as fast either, making it more suitable for indoors use.

Methyl-Ethyl Ketone, readily available at Home Depot in gallon cans. When OSHA cracked down on hazardous chemicals all our electronics assembly stations switched from acetone to MEK as acetone required a hood vent to use under new rules and MEK did not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butanone

MEK is an excellent solvent, but as mentioned hard on plastics. Toluene also works excellent. All the above are used in non-chlorinated brake and carburetor cleaners.

Methyl Acetate can be mixed 20% with acetone to slow the evaporation

Actually a gentleman on another board sugested, and I decided to go with it, was use the mix without it, and swab the bore with acetone when/if wad build up became and issue. Figured it to be a happy medium.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back