Questions answered about Wix, still have more!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been using Wix oil filters on my cars now for about 3 years with good results. As many of you know, their website seems to be VERY outdated as far as specs on the individual filters go. So I sent them the following questions:

quote:

I would like to know the current specs on the following oil filters: 51334 and 51348.

This is the reply I got back:

quote:

51348:

3.404" high; 2.921" OD; 3/4-16 American thread; Contains media rated at 19
micron; Contains filter bypass valve set at 8-11 psid and an anti-drain
back valve; static burst pressure is 275 psi; flow rate is 7-9 gpm.

51334:

3.194" high; 3.252" OD; 20 x 1.5mm thread; Contains media rated at 19
micron; Contains filter bypass valve set at 8-11 psid and an anti-drain
back valve; static burst pressure is 280 psi; flow rate is 9-11 gpm.

Thank you for your inquiry and your continued interest in WIX Filtration
products.

Chris Greeson
Technical Service Representative

The 51334 is used on our Hyundai Santa Fe 2.7L V6, and the 51348 is used on our Saturn 1.9L 4-banger.

They state that these are 19 micron filters? What does that mean. Do they catch all the particles bigger than 19 microns, half, 25%?????

I wrote them back asking, but haven't heard anything back yet. Just wanted to know if anyone had a clue?

Thank you,
Brian Miller

You're asking the right questions.

They'll be able to tell you the particle size trapped with 98.5% efficiency (so-called "absolute"), and the particle size trapped with 50% efficiency (so-called "nominal"). Some filter makers use 75% instead of 50%.

Those WIX filters are probably 19 micron "nominal" filtration and maybe something like 30 micron "absolute" filtration, but let us know when WIX answers. Generally, WIX are top quality filters with average filtration efficiency.

Ken

Well, I heard back from Wix regarding the 19 micron rating. Their response is as follows:

quote:

The SAE test procedure is 4572 multipass test. The 19 means it is 95%
efficient at removing 19 micrometer size particles and larger. Please
note, a particle that is 1 micrometer in diameter is .000039" across. The
diameter of a human hair is typically in the 60 - 70 micrometer range. The
micron rating has nothing to do with flowability. It does relate to how
quickly the filter will fill with contaminates depending on the application
and the way it is used. The smaller the micron rating, the more
contaminates the media will catch and hold. The larger the micron rating
the less contaminates it will catch and hold. The "19" range is a typical
automotive media for 3 to 5,000 mile oil drain intervals.

Chris Greeson

Brian Miller

A Wix spec sheet I came across in these forums also mentions that their new fiberglass enhanced paper media (the combination that most "premium" brands use) has the "...ability to capture more 10-20 micron size particles due to glass content," a statement confirmed at the "CarQuest Premium" oil filter website (these are repackaged Wix's). This might suggest a nominal (50% capture rate) of around 10 microns for Wix. I've noticed a fairly consistent trend in filtration claims among filter manufacturers, in that an "absolute" count (near 100% entrapment) of "X" microns typically corresponds to a "nominal" count (usually meaning 50% entrapment) of roughly one-half "X," such as 40/20 or 20/10.

Ok, this was an interesting note from Wix. What kind of media would you use for a filter designed for extended (6 to 12k) drains? (Relative to this "19" micron media for automotive 3 to 5k drains). I have never really had it explained to me what EXACTLY would go into a filter made specifically for extended drains.

quote:

The smaller the micron rating, the more
contaminates the media will catch and hold. The larger the micron rating
the less contaminates it will catch and hold. The "19" range is a typical
automotive media for 3 to 5,000 mile oil drain intervals.

Brian

I recieved the following info from Chris at wix that might also be helpful.

Dana

quote:

We do not run single pass efficiency tests as it is just a 15 minute test
and it does not reflect the real world environment of an oil filter. The
other information you requested follows:

Part Number Sq. Inches of Media Beta Ratio

51334 133.575 B 2/20/75 = 12/37/51

51356 93.075 B 2/20/75 = 18/38/46

51064 149.917 B 2/20/75 = 14/30/40

Thank you for your inquiry.

Chris Greeson

[ October 01, 2003, 11:59 AM: Message edited by: dwmcneil ]

Rooster: In response to your question on the features incorporated into "extended drain" filters, these might be some of them:

1. A larger area of media to capture (without clogging and bypassing) the additional particles which will accumulate over time.
2. A true "depth" type media, or something which mimics this. Depth media is coarser on the outside, trapping only larger particles, while the inner surface is finer, trapping smaller particles. This allows particles to be trapped throughout the depth of the media, rather than just on the outside surface, allowing for an overall higher particle load before clogging.
3. Since acid buildup over extended internals has supposedly been known to damage paper, the incorporation of some amount of synthetic fibers.

As far as a manufacturer trying to correlate a certain filtration range to a filter's designed longevity, that sorta sounds like a cop-out for not using a better media (such as microglass) which can handle a higher particle load for a given area of media. Then again, it might simply be acknowledging a law of physics -- that if you want a filter of a given size (and no bigger), and want it to last close to 10,000 miles (or whatever high mileage), you're gonna have to "coarsen" the media to prevent it from eventually clogging. Me no likey that idea one bit -- either buy a high-end filter or change the oil more often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back