Questions about Universal Catalytic Converters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
In California, they don't let you use a universal catalytic converter. If the numbers on the catalytic converter don't match the numbers on the under hood sticker, you don't get to re-register your car.

That's not true, is it? There are CARB-compliant universal converters for sale. Or is there more to it?

Its not true, and there's not more to it. :eyeroll:

Unless you are getting a code for a rear sensor, putting a new on on is shooting yourself in the foot. Certain "devices" of questionable legality can be had to move the sensor out of the exhaust stream so it's output is a steady voltage which "tells" the ECU you the cat is working. They have been discussed on here. However, a sensor which is not as sensitive as it used to be will provide the desired steady reading even when the O2 level out of the converter is changing. The "job" of the converter is to take the varying ratio of HC to O2 (as measured by the manifold sensor (s) ) due to different engine running conditions and burn up the HC, leaving a steady HC/O2 level OUT of the converter. If the O2/HC level OUT of the converter matches what goes IN the ECU reads that as a failed converter and on comes the 420 light.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
In California, they don't let you use a universal catalytic converter. If the numbers on the catalytic converter don't match the numbers on the under hood sticker, you don't get to re-register your car.

That's not true, is it? There are CARB-compliant universal converters for sale. Or is there more to it?

Its not true, and there's not more to it. :eyeroll--- Added by HerrStig---- Seems to me if you install a good converter from a "recycled" car of the same year, model, engine and whatever else and the OBD light goes out you're back where you started from. If an aftermarket does the same, what's the problem? Are we interested in the result, or the bureaucrat's pile of papers to shuffle through?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Seems to me if you install a good converter from a "recycled" car of the same year, model, engine and whatever else and the OBD light goes out you're back where you started from. If an aftermarket does the same, what's the problem? Are we interested in the result, or the bureaucrat's pile of papers to shuffle through?

There's "makes sense" and there's "what's legal and not legal."

Its not legal for a salvage yard to re-sell catcons without putting them through a cost-prohibitive testing procedure. Hasn't been legal since 1988. End of story.
frown.gif

What's with all the fear and loathing of aftermarket catcons on this thread, anyway? They're available. They work. Magnaflow's a reputable brand and even though its touted for allegedly lower restriction and added performance, it still cleans exhaust better than an aged OEM convertor, doesn't cost a ton, and is well made. No big deal.

Last edited:
Junkyards are good for cheap parts, but it should be well known that they don't sell used cats. I think it's a 10k fine if they're caught so if you really push them, they will say it will cost 10k because that's the size of the fine.

The real difference between cheap aftermarket cats and OEM is that you get a shorter warranty with the aftermarket one. The OEM one might last the life of the car whereas the aftermarket might only be a few years.

My Magnaflow uni cat is over a year old and is working fine. My original wasn't clogged up, but it wasn't heating up as it should. My mileage went up after the cut and weld cat went in. I've put on over 20k miles so far too.

If this one decides to go out then I'll buy another for $90 and pay to have it welded on again.

There are aftermarket cat for California market, you just have to buy the specific model and they do cost, like $100 more.

The main reason is the amount of precious metal in there. Like JHZR2 said, aftermarket federal emission cat is as good as an OEM at the end of life. CARB cat last a bit more, not as much as OEM but it is a good deal for $270 vs $2700 OEM that puts the OEM on the hook for 10 years 150k miles as they were originally designed.

Don't forget California has a much tougher emission, and still do sniffer test on most non recent model (I think it is 2006 and older, something like that).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Junkyards are good for cheap parts, but it should be well known that they don't sell used cats. I think it's a 10k fine if they're caught so if you really push them, they will say it will cost 10k because that's the size of the fine.

The real difference between cheap aftermarket cats and OEM is that you get a shorter warranty with the aftermarket one. The OEM one might last the life of the car whereas the aftermarket might only be a few years.

If you know the right people you can buy an exhaust for scrap metal and what you choose to do with it after you take ownership of the scrap is your business.

OK well I think the term "universal" is the problem, I meant one that isn't "bolt in place", rather is a "universal fit" that has to be either clamped or welded in place. That link you posted isn't saying that there aren't any universal fit converters that are CARB-compliant. It's saying that if you buy a universal fit converter it has to be compliant just like an "OEM-fit" converter. I just looked it up for a couple random cars and they sell both ones that require no welding/cutting/bolting and ones that do, both being CARB compliant.

Even on that link you gave they picture a universal fit converter.

The EFN numbers from the underhood emissions sticker have to match the part number.

My EFN numbers for my 2000 Buick LeSabre are:

YGMXV03.8044
YGMXR0133910

MAGNAFLOW
MAGNAFLOW_zpsnt1thzwk.png

The EFN numbers from the underhood emissions sticker have to match the part number.

YGMXV03.8044
YGMXR0133910

So how are the CARB compliant universal fit converters used then? Some of them match the numbers or how? I mean, they do sell them, where do you use them?

YGMXV03.8044
YGMXR0133910

So how are the CARB compliant universal fit converters used then? Some of them match the numbers or how? I mean, they do sell them, where do you use them?

"EFN" means "engine FAMILY number." Theoretically, many different vehicles may have the same EFN, so a universal-fit convertor may carry an EFN that works with many vehicles if you can adapt to its generic flange/clamp configuration. A "direct fit" convertor has the same EFN as well as the same pipe flange configuration as factory.

Magnaflow's website makes it real easy; so if and when I buy a new catalytic converter, I'll buy it from them. All you do is press the button where your car is registered and then select from the list of converters that matches your car's EFN number. They list 8 converters that will fit my car, but only two matches the EFN number: 1 direct fit and 1 universal.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Magnaflow's a reputable brand and even though its touted for allegedly lower restriction and added performance, it still cleans exhaust better than an aged OEM convertor, doesn't cost a ton, and is well made. No big deal.

FULLY agreed on their 49 state direct fit deals.
I have them on my car presently.

But, they do not make 50 state, let alone CARB certified ones with the 'Republik' stampings, for EVERY car/model out there which might need one, due to ECM calibrations, even if they are not actual Cali cars.
frown.gif

(Same goes for Eastern, Catco, Walker, etc. sadly enough.)

Non-OEM cats in Calfornia don't have stickers but they do have EO's that need to correspond to that application.

FWIW, I'm running 2 Walker CARB cats to replace the 2 OEM pre-cats I had. They're working, but there's an annoying rattle and a bit of restriction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back