Questions about Maverik gas

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the add pack for Maverik gas? I usually use the top tier Costco gas because it is so darn close to me and so much less expensive. On occasion though I do go into Maverik and top off before a trip or something. I have emailed Maverik but after several months there is no reply. Anyone know if the add pack is the federal standard or something a bit more robust?

I am not sure if it is a top tier gas but the price is lower and some times If I need gas and a Maverick is close, I have no reservations about filling up. I can't telll any difference via the seat of my pants.

On TopTierGas.com it says "The TOP TIERâ„¢ logo must be prominently displayed"
The website shows a Sunoco near me as having top tier gas.
But I never see any logo or wording on the pumps.
What gives, top tier or not ? ? ?
Next time I'll have to ask employee.

Thanks for TopTier link, probably will help a lot of people.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MasterSolenoid
On TopTierGas.com it says "The TOP TIERâ„¢ logo must be prominently displayed"
The website shows a Sunoco near me as having top tier gas.
But I never see any logo or wording on the pumps.
What gives, top tier or not ? ? ?
Next time I'll have to ask employee.

Thanks for TopTier link, probably will help a lot of people.

..and before that, it says: "All retail locations within the licensed country must meet the high standards of the TOP TIERâ„¢ program."

I would conclude that all Sunoco fuel is top tier today. I would surmise that the Sunoco rep failed in his duties to provide the station with the appropriate logos, or the station owner failed to follow through. I would also surmise that the employee you ask either would not really know, or would tell you "yes" anyway.

YMMV

Not all Top Tier is labeled on the pump. Not all c-store personnel would know what you're talking about if you asked. In fact my estimate would be 5 percent. I'm sure I saw Circle K on that list before. Maybe I should ask twenty employees if they have Top Tier and record the answers.

Last edited:
Circle K has numerous suppliers-I've seen BP, Marathon, even Citgo years ago, I'm sure it depends on the supplier. I can't believe Sunoco is, they have some serious bottom-barrel c-stores around here.

For all the folks not familiar with Maverik convenience stores:

Maverik fuels adventures in more than 300 locations across 11 western states, making it the largest independent fuel marketer in the Intermountain West.

I have used them in Wyoming and Utah, and possibly other places I can't remember.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Circle K has numerous suppliers-I've seen BP, Marathon, even Citgo years ago, I'm sure it depends on the supplier. I can't believe Sunoco is, they have some serious bottom-barrel c-stores around here.

I'm talking Circle K. Previously StLouis Circle K was Shell. That went away a couple weeks ago and it's just Circle K now. Suspect they're ditching secondary brands all over. They're also changing other international brands although Couche Tard might remain in Quebec.

Unless there's specific marketing of a stronger additive packages, I'd assume EPA mandated minimum. Some have done that without Top Tier certification. Remember Costco's "Clean Power" claimed 5x the amount needed for EPA minimum cleanliness, and BP was specifically recommended by BMW - both before being listed as Top Tier. Usually there's a generic additive package available at most fuel terminals for anyone willing to pay for it. I generally assume that "unbranded" fuel sold my most convenience stores or supermarkets get the generic additive.

Well I figure they do have the generic EPA mandated level for cleaning. Here in Boise the stations are closing the older stores and moving into nice new C-stores. Big step up. They have some pretty nice food available so lots of working stiffs go in for breakfast stuff and lunch. Tasty stuff but it is still fast food. I don't eat it all the time but when I am in a hurry I know I can get something that will please my tummy. I fill up and grab a snack for later. Faster than going to my usual fill up place which is Costco.

Thanks for the replies. I may just have to stop in when the Maverick branded gas delivery trucks are there and ask the drivers. My guess is that it is EPA level cleaners.

The EPA mandates a minimum level of detergent additives in gasoline? I didn't know that.

I know the EPA must have certification from the blender for what additives and what concentrations, but that is related to toxicity regulations.

Originally Posted by kschachn
The EPA mandates a minimum level of detergent additives in gasoline? I didn't know that.

I know the EPA must have certification from the blender for what additives and what concentrations, but that is related to toxicity regulations.

There's a required efficacy for a minimum recommended treat rate. I believe they're allowed to use a higher concentration. It's longer than can be posted here, but this gives the gist:

https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-i...:17.0.1.1.9&rgn=div5#se40.19.80_1161
§80.161 Detergent additive certification program.
(a) Effective dates and applicability of requirements. (1) As of July 1, 1997:

(i) Detergent additives for the control of port fuel injector deposits (PFID) and/or intake valve deposits (IVD) in gasoline engines may not be transferred or sold for use in compliance with this subpart unless such additives have been certified according to the requirements of this section.

(ii) Except as provided in §80.169(c)(8), PFID and IVD control additives may not be added to gasoline or post-refinery component (PRC) for compliance with this subpart unless such additives have been certified according to the requirements of this section.

(iii) Gasoline may not be sold or transferred to a party who sells or transfers gasoline to the ultimate consumer unless such gasoline contains detergent additives which have been certified according to the requirements of this section.

(2) Beginning August 1, 1997, all gasoline sold or transferred to the ultimate consumer must contain detergent additive(s) which have been certified, according to the requirements of this section, to be effective for the control of PFID and IVD in gasoline engines.

(3) Except as specifically exempted in §80.173, these detergency requirements apply to all gasoline, whether intended for on-highway or nonroad use, including conventional, oxygenated, reformulated, and leaded gasolines, as well as the gasoline component in mixtures of petroleum and alcohol fuels, gasoline used as marine fuel, gasoline service accumulation fuel (as described in §86.113-94(a)(1) of this chapter), the gasoline component of fuel mixtures of petroleum and methanol used for service accumulation in flexible fuel vehicles (as described in §86.113-94(d) of this chapter), the gasoline used for factory fill purposes, and all additized PRC.

(b) Detergent additive certification requirements. For a detergent additive package to be certified as eligible for use by detergent blenders in complying with the gasoline detergency requirements of this subpart, the requirements listed in this paragraph (b) must be satisfied for such detergent. Subject to the provisions of paragraph (e) of this section, if the certifier fails to conduct the specified tests or to submit the specified materials, or if EPA judges the testing or materials to be inadequate, or if the detergent fails EPA confirmatory deposit control performance testing pursuant to §80.167, the Administrator may deny or withdraw the detergent's eligibility to be used to satisfy the detergency requirements of this subpart.

(1) The detergent additive manufacturer must properly register the detergent additive under 40 CFR part 79. For this purpose:

(i) The compositional data required under §79.21(a) of this chapter shall include the information specified in §80.162.

(ii) The minimum recommended additive concentration required under §79.21(d) of this chapter shall be reported to EPA in units of gallons of detergent additive package per 1000 gallons of gasoline or PRC, provided to four digits. This concentration is the lowest additive concentration (LAC) referred to in §80.170, and shall be reported as follows:

Originally Posted by Nyogtha
Since 1995 IIRC as the natiomal fleet had moved away from carbureated to port fuel injected gasoline engines

I looked it up and it's been since August 1, 1997. You can look at the link of 40 CFR 80 to see what's in it. I skimmed over it and found the exact date as well as references to port fuel injector and intake valve deposit control requirements.

Originally Posted by csandste
Not all Top Tier is labeled on the pump. Not all c-store personnel would know what you're talking about if you asked. In fact my estimate would be 5 percent. I'm sure I saw Circle K on that list before. Maybe I should ask twenty employees if they have Top Tier and record the answers.

I've seen it on pumps, but the label isn't exactly always prominent, and the logo really doesn't jump out at you. There are enough stickers and logos and plates on pumps and hoses that it really doesn't stand out. As for what employees know, you're quite right. Unless an employer has some training or materials available, forget it. The gas retailers trade publications out here haven't said anything about Top Tier that I can ever recall. The only actual promotion I've seen about Top Tier was a bunch of brochures at the Coop when they went Top Tier a few years back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back