Question re Dexos 2 0W-40 for new Corvette

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 2019StingrayZ51

Thanks Patman. I'll definitely look into that. "Starting at" 5 gives a thicker oil, right? Less additive required to get to the 30/40?

I believe that the 5w30 Formula ESP uses less viscosity index improvers than the 0w40 version, so that's a benefit. It also has a higher HTHS of 3.58 vs 3.53, and with less VII I think it'll hold that higher HTHS even better than the 0w40 version would. It also has less sulphated ash (0.6 vs 0.8) and a higher flashpoint. I suspect the noack value is a lot lower too.

Can’t you buy the new 0W-40 ESP at the dealer? Just do that and change the oil on your own.

If not, there’s a few readily available dexos2 oils around. Pennzoil Euro L 5W-30, M1 ESP 5W-30, and Motul X-Clean. The 5W-30 and 0W-40 labels don’t mean much from a viscosity standpoint. They are all right about the same 3.5 HTHS.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
I thought the recommend was Dexos 1 Gen 2. Dexos2 is the diesel oil. Unless the Vette has a diesel engine.

Vette has changed the spec. Dexos2 is only a diesel oil because that's how GM in North America has marketed it. Now, in reality, dexos2 oils are used by GM in gasoline engines worldwide, and every dexos2 bottle I've come across has had gasoline ACEA and API specifications on it, even gasoline builder approvals.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
I thought the recommend was Dexos 1 Gen 2. Dexos2 is the diesel oil. Unless the Vette has a diesel engine.

Vette has changed the spec. Dexos2 is only a diesel oil because that's how GM in North America has marketed it.

A case where marketting to "simplify" an issue becomes a complicator down the track.

Here, it's Dexos 1 and Dexos 2...no claims for diesel only like the Dexos official website would suggest.

BTW, is it just me, or is their licencing list now deactivated (centre for QA link).

All the dexos1 licensing sites you mentioned are down for me, too, plus the gmdexos.com site. Going to the centerforqa.com site, I find the main page is open, but nothing referencing dexos, even in their search box.

As for marketing, I wish dexos1 had remained a 0w-30/5w-30 thing. I generally don't like the idea of a spec having more than one viscosity that isn't properly interchangeable, such as the 0w-20 and 5w-30 in dexos1. Ideally, for simplicity's sake, a dexos1 logo should mean "good to go."

Originally Posted By: Garak
All the dexos1 licensing sites you mentioned are down for me, too, plus the gmdexos.com site. Going to the centerforqa.com site, I find the main page is open, but nothing referencing dexos, even in their search box.

They don't do the dexos anymore, but CQA does now manage the Top Tier gas licensing
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Dexos "0" for the light weights.

Yes, a spec is supposed to simplify, not complicate. Look at dexos2. They're all interchangeable, given that they all meet the minimum 3.5 HTHS.

slacktide_bitog: Yes, and ATF+4. I think they were doing Top Tier for a little while at least. I'm not sure what happened with dexos and that site, though. GM finding someone else to help administer it, or doing it themselves?

Originally Posted By: A_Harman

The best way to keep the valves clean in your new Corvette is to do Italian tune-ups on a regular basis, which brings me to the next subject:
Since you're in North Carolina, you have a couple of very good tracks within a few hours drive: Road Atlanta and Virginia International Raceway. I recommend Road Atlanta for beginners. It is not a simple track, but it will give you a natural high that's better than sex. VIR takes about six days to learn, and is downright scary once you get it right. I instructed a novice at VIR a few years ago, and he was overwhelmed with the number and variety of turns, but he vowed to come back again and again until he got it down.

A_Harman, what is an "Italian tune-up"? I do have some Italian blood, but don't worry, I won't be offended
grin.gif
My first car was an IROC-Z so I've had a few choice acronyms applied.... But in all seriousness, yes, I'm planning a trip to VIR after several friends have now recommended it.

Originally Posted By: Patman
I believe that the 5w30 Formula ESP uses less viscosity index improvers than the 0w40 version, so that's a benefit. It also has a higher HTHS of 3.58 vs 3.53, and with less VII I think it'll hold that higher HTHS even better than the 0w40 version would. It also has less sulphated ash (0.6 vs 0.8) and a higher flashpoint. I suspect the noack value is a lot lower too.

Patman, very interesting. Where might we get the noack value? Would it be possible to buy a bottle of each and send virgin samples to someone like Blackstone and get a true apples-to-apples comparison? Do you know if they do that level of testing?

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
Can’t you buy the new 0W-40 ESP at the dealer? Just do that and change the oil on your own.

If not, there’s a few readily available dexos2 oils around. Pennzoil Euro L 5W-30, M1 ESP 5W-30, and Motul X-Clean. The 5W-30 and 0W-40 labels don’t mean much from a viscosity standpoint. They are all right about the same 3.5 HTHS.

Yes, dealer has it for something like $11.50 a quart, which isn't terrible, but I was hoping to get it a little cheaper at Autozone or Advance or even Amazon.

Originally Posted By: Rand
I thought dexos 2 was for diesel?

Dexos2 oils have a minimum HTHS of 3.5, thus are better for higher performance applications. You'll also find that most Dexos2 30W oils are 'thick' 30 weight's (almost 40-weight.) I really like Shell Helix Ultra ECT C3 5W30 (same as PP Euro L) (goes great in my turbo Saab.)

but if you 'need' a 40-weight
enviro.jpg

Regards
Jordan

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JFAllen
Originally Posted By: Rand
I thought dexos 2 was for diesel?

You'll also find that most Dexos2 30W oils are 'thick' 30 weight's (almost 40-weight.)

For example FUCHS TITAN GT1 PRO FLEX SAE 5W-30 has dexos2 (GB2C0209075) approval. (I currently use this oil in our Golf R)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back