Question re Dexos 2 0W-40 for new Corvette

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks to all for the replies thus far. It's not an issue to get the Mobil 1 ESP 0W-40 from dealer, it's just $11.50 per quart, so my thinking was if there is something better out there for similar cost, maybe I would go with that. I just came across one more potential option (realizing it doesn't have the Dexos 2 certification, though). Any thoughts on this Ravenol 0W-40:

https://www.ravenolamerica.com/motor-oil/0w-40-motor-oil-ravenol-low-friction-oil-ssl/

Edit: Or this 5W-40:

https://www.ravenolamerica.com/motor-oil/5w-40-motor-oil-ravenol-vmo/

I'm starting to get a feel for reading the technical numbers, but hoping someone else here who knows a lot more than I can chime in. Thanks in advance!!

Last edited:
1503530930250.jpg

Castrol Magnatec 5W40 Not sure if it's available elsewhere other than Aus.

Comes in at ~$7.5USD a quart (Aussie conversion) retail but can be had on sale for closer to $5.5USD a quart. It's a group-III synthetic made in Malaysia with all of Castrol/BP's other APAC oils. What more could you ask for
smile.gif
SN, C3 and DEXOS2 licensed.

Regards
Jordan

Last edited:
Dexos2 is kinda hard to find in local... i honesrly do not understand what GM was thinking.

M1 ESP is expensive from dealer and i dont think it will available at local Walmart soon. I do own Camaro LT1, my manual says i also can use Valvoline MST 5w40 so im going for that next.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: s2krunner
Dexos2 is kinda hard to find in local... i honesrly do not understand what GM was thinking.

That the need a higher HTHS for this engine than a standard ILSAC 30 provides ???
21.gif
21.gif
21.gif

I can find a good half dozen Dexs 2 at my local supercheap auto...plus two 0W16s.

Guess the old ox cart not delivering to Oz was a fallacy after all.

Dexos2 is kinda hard to find in local.

It's actually not that hard to find. You could go with Pennzoil Euro L 5w30, if your local Walmart doesn't carry it you can order it online and have it shipped there in a day or two. Also, Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5w30 is not that hard to find either.

Pennzoill platinum Euro L is on just about every WM shelf. Carries dexos2, and it’s really good stuff! Also carries LL-04 and 229.51 approvals (tough certs).

M1 ESP is expensive from dealer and i dont think it will available at local Walmart soon. I do own Camaro LT1, my manual says i also can use Valvoline MST 5w40 so im going for that next.

Walmart has PP Euro L 5w30 and Valvoline MST 5w40

Napa carries Valvoline MST 5w30 and 5w40. Both are dexos2 and both are on sale this month for $5.49/qt
smile.gif

GM was thinking that Corvettes get driven harder than a Cruze or Sonic, and that Corvettes get driven harder than ILSAC dexos1/d1g2 CAFE oil can handle
19.gif

Originally Posted By: Shannow

That the need a higher HTHS for this engine than a standard ILSAC 30 provides ???
21.gif
21.gif
21.gif

I can find a good half dozen Dexs 2 at my local supercheap auto...plus two 0W16s.

Guess the old ox cart not delivering to Oz was a fallacy after all.

I mean by available Dexos2 for customers.
Near my three Walmart does not carry any Dexos2 apporval. Only available is Valvoline MST 5w40 from NAPA. I can easily find M1 0w40 and one Walmart carry Castrol 0w40. Other than that nothing.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: Ram02
So I Guess M1 5w30 is not good enough to protect the Vette no more .
Too thin for hard useage. 5W-30
is the CAFE juice. TheGMtech instructortold us so at the continueing education classes I used to go to when I Cared[before retirement].

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back