Question on new u-joints

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I had my trucks driveshaft rebuilt at a local remand house with new spider greasable ujoints (as well as balanced and straightened) but I noticed on the dirk's the grease they used is very blue in Color... nowive used a number of different greases but they have all been some shade ofeither red or grey. Any ideas on what this may be and whether its compatible with the Lucas red that is currently in my grease gun??

Originally Posted By: ChiTDI
My guess would be molybdenum disulfide in the grease that produces the blue.

I believe that MoS2 is a dark grey in colour.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Only way to know is to ask them, since color is just an added dye and like coolants, is not indicative of the formulation.

Quoted for truth. The color is just there to make it pretty and has little to do with the oil, thickener or additives. That being said, all of the 'high' MoS2 greases I have used are all dark grey/black due to the natural color of the MoS2 compound.

Give them a call and ask what they use.

If I had to make two guesses...Castrol Pyropex Blue or Kendall Super Blu.

Maybe L-427 Kendall Super Blu

Multipurpose, Extreme Pressure Lithium Complex Grease; NLGI GC LB Certified
Kendall® L-427 Super Blu Grease is a high-quality, multipurpose, extreme pressure (EP) lithium complex grease developed to satisfy the severe lubrication requirements of heavily-loaded plain and rolling-element bearings operating at moderate to high temperatures. It is NLGI GC-LB certified for use as a multipurpose automotive wheel bearing and chassis lubricant.

L-427 Super Blu Grease is manufactured with high-quality paraffinic base oils thickened with a lithium complex soap. It contains an extreme pressure additive, a tackifier, and rust and oxidation inhibitors to provide excellent wear protection, excellent thermal stability at high temperatures, and excellent resistance to corrosion and water washout. It forms an effective seal to help minimize bearing contamination and provides a high level of adhesion to the bearing surface for improved retention, reduced leakage and enhanced resistance to water washout.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back