Question on magnetic drain plug

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering. If I install the fumotovalve or sure drain, then I loose the magnetic drain plug. Is there a major concern now of magnetic particals floating around in the oil, not that the drain plug collected a ton but at least it did collect something.
I was wondering if any one else had a concern with this issue. I guess I could always go to a filter magnet.

Thanks
smile.gif

patriot.gif

I honestly don't see the magnetic drain plugs doing much. Sure they collect stuff so it seems impressive, but my feeling is that this stuff would just have been collected by the oil filter anyways.

When it comes down to it, I don't really run the mag plug for protection, but rather for inspection. As long as you're just wiping fines off at oilchange time, that's an indicator that nothing major is amiss. If there's chunks OTOH...
freak2.gif

I like the idea of a filter magnet, but there's no way I'm paying $30-80 for one (please!). Trouble there is that you've got to cut your filter up to see what you're getting...

$0.02,
Robert

I just get a few stong magnets from the hobby store and place them around the filter. I have one sitting in the garage that I'm waiting to cut open. I feel that, in the worst case, it can do no harm. Eventually, my curiosity will prevail and I'll cut the filter open. Yeah, eventually.
rolleyes.gif

My dog's name is Greg!
smile.gif

(just kidding, I don't have a dog, but if I did, I'll name him Greg, or I'll name him "C'MERE")

smile.gif

I have magnets on my filter which catch metal of all sizes, and a homemade oil plug magnet 3" long which only catches really FINE stuff, so fine it looks like black mud. Maybe this is the stuff that makes it through the filter. In any case, it's always a LOT less than what I find inside the filter case, and if it did go through the filter, it is so small it shouldn't hurt anything. So I guess the filter and its magnets are catching just about everything.

quote:

Originally posted by porterdog:
When it comes down to it, I don't really run the mag plug for protection, but rather for inspection. As long as you're just wiping fines off at oilchange time, that's an indicator that nothing major is amiss. If there's chunks OTOH...
freak2.gif

I like the idea of a filter magnet, but there's no way I'm paying $30-80 for one (please!). Trouble there is that you've got to cut your filter up to see what you're getting...

$0.02,
Robert

my dog's name is porter
shocked.gif

To pick between the two I'd choose the magnetic drain plug...sure the filter might have caught the grey paste on the end of the magnetic tip...but it's gota be saving the oil pump from churning that stuff up to the filter.

What strength magnets does one need for the magnetic plug to be effective? I figure if you have metal chunks or huge pieces floating around you would need a magnet that is strong enough to catch it. Otherwise its only going to catch the small stuff while the big stuff keeps swimming around.

Many auto manufacturers are using magnetic oil drain plugs as standard equipment..G.M. being the largest is one...and they don't put anything in a vehicle unless they have to...they have a purpose doing so
dunno.gif
...I like the two I purchased...very well built and strong!

I think GM does it just to give their customers a warm and fuzzy feeling, not because it actually keeps your engine wear lower.

I use one of these in my 2k3 Max and with all I've read here about oil filters going into by-pass, I 'feel' the Superplug I bought was worthwhile. It certainly catches a lot of fine paste like particles that I know are not going to be circulating in my oil (and perhaps to the filter and back out again when it goes into bypass). BTW, I don't think GM would spend 2 cents on a part that most customers never see or even know about if there wasn't some real benefit associated with it. I will say the magnets they use in the plug, however, are pretty weak compared to neo magnets used in most aftermarket plugs.

It's also possible that some magnetic drain plug maker came up to GM and said "we'll sell you these plugs for one cent less per unit than your current supplier" and so that's all it took for them to switch over.

I just don't see GM honestly caring whether or not their customer gets something like this on their car, and there are no real studies out there which prove that a magnetic drain plug does anything. I still believe that whatever gets caught on this plug would've been caught in the oil filter anyways. If you can see a metal particle, it's bigger than 40 microns, and pretty much every oil filter on the market is going to stop a particle of that size.

I installed a rare earth magnet on my GM Minivan's drain plug. It's 1/4" in dia. and 1/2" in lenght. Dirt cheap and these puppys are super strong- this size and bigger ..they cannot be held apart with you fingers. Obtained at LeeValley tools(you can order on the net.)
After the first oil change it was covered with a grey coloured mud.. It just wiped off, but I was surprised how much was on there. I have another waiting to go on my Acura...
Jean

My Grand AM came with one, I guess as stated above it's standard on GM's. The last 2 times I changed it I noticed a little gray colored murky film. It was stripped so bad from Texaco/Wal-Mart that I had to get a new one last time. Considering I paid all of $4 for it I highly doubt it's magnetized, but I guess I'll find out in August.
smile.gif

Well everyone is entitled to their opinion...but 40 microns or not...there is some small stuff on my Superplug and I'm "warm & fuzzy" it's in there...couldn't do any harm.If they put magnets on diff plugs and tranny pans why not engine oil drain plugs?The oil pump must take a beating whipping up that stuff
pat.gif
To be sure the stock magnetic plugs are borderline as compared to the stainless,powerfull SuperPlug...great piece IMO..and great company to deal with!

quote:

Originally posted by YZF150:
How did you attach it, Acura?

Simply this cylindrical magnet is standing on it's end stuck to the drain plug. I am not worried of it -falling off- or just being pushed off the plug... its on there real good (goodder english eh...
gr_stretch.gif
). As a GENERAL idea.. its like the strengh needed to break a pencil with 2 fingers and thumbs. (hope that makes sense...)
jean

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back