question on filters for my civic

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, I have a 04 Civic and currently I'm using a Pureone 14610. The bypass on it looks strange and I'm weary of it. Since the Honda S2000 filter that used to be used on all Hondas is oversized and will fit my Civic I thought I would go look for it's equivalents to check out what their bypass looks like and if it is a spring bypass then I thought I would try one to see. For a Purolator the number is 14459 and any filters that number after Fram is 3593A. So my question is does anybody see a problem with what I wanted to do? And do you guys have any other filter suggestions that will fit and doesn't have the weird looking bypass?

It is Ok to use a 14459 on a Honda that should take a 14610 (2001 and newer Honda Civics)

The AC Delco PF-1127 is that same size as the 14459...but it has a spring bypass. The Mobil 1 M-104 has a spring bypass. My personal opinion, the Purolator 14610 is an excellent filter, lots of media and it is well made.

Also does anybody know where is that thread where this guy has an RSX and he cuts up a bucnh of filters that fits it and other Hondas? I did a search and I forgot what the title was and couldn't find it in the first two pages. It was recent too.

Yes asiancivicmaniac. What you want to do will work fine. Purolator used to have a larger filter #24458 which is now discontinued. This is what I used on my daughters '88 Accord and my '04 Altima. My Altima actually calls for the very small #14610 just like your Civic. We now have to use the mid size #14459. If you want even larger, go to NAPA and use their parts book to find different size filters for your application. Although don't concern yourself too much about the smaller size thimble filter or it's bypass as they are quite efficient for normal OCI. Also, Purolator makes quite a good filter as does NAPA/WIX/DANA, most Champion made filters(SuperTech,STP,ACDelco,Bosch,Mobil 1). Pick one that you like!

Not all PF1127 have the spring loaded bypass. I noticed they are going to the clicker bypass in last several I opened. I always check Pep Boys and Advance Auto and snatch up any with the spring loaded bypass. I did puchase some Maxlife 3593 filters for my Honda and they do have the spring loaded bypass.

I'M using a 51344 WIX on my 92 Civic 1.5L and I have about 5000 miles on it so far. This filter is an oversized oil filter. The threads will fit your car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back