Question on Auto Rx...is it working?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it is pretty funny myself if he had to have his senior engineer explain to him why people might want to have before and afer photographs of the internals of an engine where Auto-RX had been used.

Clean is a visual thing, pretty basic. Nothing at all wrong with having a look if possible. I guess its an American thing, LOL.

Yes, there is nothing wrong with taking an actual look at the internal engine components and seeing if your cleaning product is actually working or not. I guess it is an American thing.

If you have been following in the PCMO oil thread about the Nissan we are going to do an ARX compression test before/after and also do pictures in the valve cover through the oil fill hole to see what it does for the sludge that is in there...

Heavy sludge in the valvetrain, especially with any kind of VVT actuator, will make an engine run like a turd and can cause all kinds of issues, especially if the oil return holes get plugged. If you spent $30 bucks on a product that is marketed to CLEAN SLUDGE, wouldn't you want it to CLEAN SLUDGE from the top of a cylinder head?

I guess when you take a car to a mechanic to clean a sludged engine, he'd be a real idiot to remove the valve covers and clean the sludge.
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
do pictures in the valve cover through the oil fill hole to see what it does for the sludge that is in there...

I guess you Canadians are dumb too! Always wanting visual proof and stuff.

Canadians are closer to America. So they may be closer to Americans in how they think. Just so long as they follow the good and not the bad.

Originally Posted By: sprintman
I get the pictures thing now after a quick chat with my senior engineer. He's an ex American and explained things. All makes sense now I think about it.

Yeah, that's exactly how it happened.
04.gif

With respect to the original photos, and as others have pointed out, we don't know how sludged and/or varnished the internals were in the first place. We see a varnished dipstick and a sludged cap and baffle.

Perhaps the inside is now clean. Perhaps it already was clean. It's hard to judge a product as either good or bad based solely on a baffled oil fill hole. We don't know the current conditions, much less the previous conditions. We're comparing an unknown to an unknown?

Regardless, I think the oil fill cap and the baffle will only be served by a manual cleaning or taken off and soaked in solvent. Yes, splashing does occur, at least to some degree. It's not going to be as effective as regular contact.

If I wish to clean a part, I tend to dip it in solvent and clean it. I don't bolt it to the ceiling and fling cups of solvent at it. That might work, but it's not going to be a quick process.

Originally Posted By: Garak

If I wish to clean a part, I tend to dip it in solvent and clean it. I don't bolt it to the ceiling and fling cups of solvent at it. That might work, but it's not going to be a quick process.

Sorry, this warrants being seen twice
lol.gif

Thank you for making my Monday a little better.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: badtlc
Originally Posted By: StevieC
And I'm fine with that... Show me a picture of the galleries below a valve-cover.

And if it can clean rings/piston sides which are usually splash fed, then why can't it clean valve covers?

Just a thought...
wink.gif

Good question, don't know. I only know that ARX cleaned rings and restored factory compression in my 1996 cavalier.

The maintenance dose improved compression on my two 2.3L engines that had 15k on them.

How down was compression on engines w/ 15K?

Originally Posted By: ARB1977
I used to use maintence doses of auto rx. I dont any more. Ive got 8 bottles sitting on the self.

Originally Posted By: Mystic
Yeah, I have two bottle of Auto-RX sitting around and I don't know what to do with them. I have been using Pennzoil Ultra and the next time I change oil I think I will add a small bottle of MMO.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=7&page=1

Originally Posted By: Craig in Canada
Originally Posted By: Garak

Sorry, this warrants being seen twice
lol.gif

Thank you for making my Monday a little better.

No problem.
wink.gif

In any case, it's true. In my thread about my Audi valve cover gaskets, my valve cover was in the same boat. The engine is far from sludged, but the baffle and oil cap are a mess. I could run Kreen, MMO, or ARX for the next 100,000 miles and I doubt it would help that specific issue. Splash cleaning of a part designed in such a fashion cannot be expected to be a fast process. It doesn't matter whether the product works as advertised or is snake oil; it's not a feasible expectation.

The way mine is designed, I'd have enough trouble cleaning it with a parts washer or whatever else I could cobble together, let alone relying on splash lubrication to fix the problem.

Wow 2 years later. No offense, I went the A-Rx route too, and was disappointed. A lot can happen in 2 years, look how popular Kreen became in the past 2 years. Odds are in 2 months you'd have accomplished a better cleanup using Kreen. JMO

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Clean is a visual thing, pretty basic. Nothing at all wrong with having a look if possible. I guess its an American thing, LOL.

I wonder if the ARX guys count on us NOT looking?

If you really believe a product might do something you tend to help it any way you can.

ARX was a complete waste of my time. But I'm just another dumb American.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

I wonder if the ARX guys count on us NOT looking?

If you really believe a product might do something you tend to help it any way you can.

ARX was a complete waste of my time. But I'm just another dumb American.

You mean blind faith? LOL Yea they'd like that. I got suckered in too, funny thing was I went against my gut feeling, and every time I do I get burnt. Live and learn, and share your experiences here for the benefit of others. Its all good!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back