Question for those of you who stream TV

For those without smart tv's, or who don't want the 'smart' tv tracking and reporting what you watch (when internet-connected), I've started using my very small Microsoft Surface Laptop GO, with a USB-C to HDMI cable. Many laptops can send 4K video out (not just the laptop's screen size), too.

I have Directv Stream and the tv box for it can be loaded with other apps like Netflix hbomax etc. if you do a search on it say for John Wayne movies it will search across all active apps for them.

For those without smart tv's, or who don't want the 'smart' tv tracking and reporting what you watch (when internet-connected), I've started using my very small Microsoft Surface Laptop GO, with a USB-C to HDMI cable. Many laptops can send 4K video out (not just the laptop's screen size), too.

Oh who cares if you binge watch Breaking Bad for the 8th time.

So a few years back I was spenging a lot of time on surf fishing websites and off-roading websites. All my ads turned into mail order bride adds. Apparently if you fish and off road you also require a mail order bride. I showed my wife - she laughed.

I love the Roku stick. I have 10 of them and use them for my DirectTv Now account. It saves me a fortune in box rental fees vs when I had regular DirecTv. Some hardly get used, as they are in guest rooms or my office but it’s nice to have the option for television without paying a monthly box fee.

OP, you can get some free shows but most are going to be via a subscription service.

You are still subjected to browser fingerprinting I bet.

My youngest son bought a Roku remote for us last Christmas that has a locator device in it that help find the remote and if you want to watch Beverly Hillbillies you just talk to it and say"Hey Roku-Beverly Hillbillies" and then it looks it up and displays what networks and times to watch. It is an awesome remote addition and it also turns on the TV and adjusts the volume and has a headphone jack on it so you can watch privately. We can't do without it anymore.

this asks a Q abt 'streaming'.
Nother current thread is more informative abt "cut the cord". Many are rebelling against any
subscription service (we say the 'new rip off' business model). The providers do anything
to get you 'on', nothing to 'service you' during that time (quite the service, problem solve,
subtract an option, etc). Lots of info on "hang an antenna" old skol.

I can't get over why so many are worried about remembering what movie they want to watch or how to figure out what to watch.

I 100% guarantee you that YOU ARE NOT MISSING ANYTHING worthwhile if you aren't watching garbage from 'Hollywood'

Get yourself a $30 Roku device, load up Youtube. Search for some subjects on your YT app on your phone, start a few videos, stop them on your phone, go to the YT app on Roku, go to History, watch what you started to on your phone and then go from there....look at the suggestions. It will snowball.

You will then have MONTHS of stuff to watch. It's higher quality, little to zero garbage, indoctrination, agenda, whatever.

I have Apple TV+, Prime, and Google Premium. In my experience, I have to go directly to the host app to search for a movie without paying.

Back