Question for Subaru Forester 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

I'm looking for an engine oil that both respects manufacturer requirements and my driving.

I'm currently having oil consumption with my engine (1.5 L per 10 000km so a bit over 1.5 qt per 6000 miles).

I do a lot of small trips during the week for work and long distances during the weekend.

Manufacturer requirements is for 0W20 (required certification, SM, SN, GF-4 and/or GF-5).

Do you guys have any suggestions for an oil that will limit consumption and keep my engine running for a long time?

Thanks guys!

I have the same vehicle with similar consumption. I don't think any 0w-20 API SN/SM will reduce consumption. Thicker oils haven't made a difference for me either.

The only thing that helped was a 300ml container of MoS2, which I added at an oil change and has reduced the consumption by half. I can't be certain it was this addative that reduced it, but I'll attempt to replicate the results and will post them with a UOA in a few months.

Liqui-Moly MoS2

Welcome to the site.

High mileage oil may be able to reduce or eliminate oil consumption, but currently no high mileage 0W20 oil is available, only 5W20. If your vehicle is out of warranty you may like to try high mileage 5W20 for few oil changes to see if it reduces the oil consumption.

The current rate of oil consumption of 1L per 4k miles isn't bad.

Thanks for the Liqui-Moly tip. Could that damage the engine in the long run?

For 10 000 km oil changes, any suggestions for brands I should be favoring?

Sounds like yours doesn't have as bad of consumption as some of the new Subaru's that are having consumption issues.

Originally Posted By: Wyverns
Thanks for the Liqui-Moly tip. Could that damage the engine in the long run?

I don't believe so.

Originally Posted By: Wyverns
For 10 000 km oil changes, any suggestions for brands I should be favoring?

No. Get whatever API SN is easiest for you. In Canada, many people report that Toyota Genuine Motor Oil (TGMO) 0w-20 can be purchased at dealers for less than store varieties. But, any name brand 0w-20 will suffice.

1.5 liters per 10000 km is perfectly normal... especially for a Subaru...

Some of the newer FB engines were over a liter per 1000 km... and Subaru had the audacity to claim THAT was normal, hence the various class action lawsuits.

I wouldn't worry about your consumption. Just top up when required...

Last edited:
If all your FB25 (i.e. 2013 model) equipped Forester is burning off is 1.5 qt per 6000 miles consider yourself lucky. Super high oil consumption with the FB25 up to model yr 2014 is a known issue. Some people have reported 1 qt every 1500 miles for example. There was even a class action lawsuit forming up over it, don't know it if ever took off though.

My mom has an 2013 Imprezza that is consuming oil at a ridiculous rate. She has the oil changed every 5k by the dealer but doesn't ever check in between oil changes. She has had the oil light come on twice in between oil changes and the thing is only two years old. This is her third Subaru and the first two were solid cars. She's ready to trade it in, but I told her to start pressuring the dealer to fix the issue.

Here are the TSB's
http://www.thecarconnection.com/news/1092813_some-2011-2014-subarus-to-get-new-piston-rings

Her owner's manual even says 1 qt per 1.2k is "normal"...hogwash, it's not like they're using a Wankel engine! My '95 Imprezza never used a drop for almost 10 years and 150k miles and was still running strong when I sold it.

I think Subaru is only specing 0w-20 to get maximum MPG out of their cars. The older Subaru's got bad MPG but didn't burn oil. Now they get much better mileage and burn through their oil at an unacceptable rate. I wonder what would happen (besides voiding what appears to be a worthless warranty) if a 0w-30 or even 0w-40 was used?

If Subaru doesn't fix my mom's car then I might try this route for her.

Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer
My mom has an 2013 Imprezza that is consuming oil at a ridiculous rate. She has the oil changed every 5k by the dealer but doesn't ever check in between oil changes. She has had the oil light come on twice in between oil changes and the thing is only two years old. This is her third Subaru and the first two were solid cars. She's ready to trade it in, but I told her to start pressuring the dealer to fix the issue.

Here are the TSB's
http://www.thecarconnection.com/news/1092813_some-2011-2014-subarus-to-get-new-piston-rings

Her owner's manual even says 1 qt per 1.2k is "normal"...hogwash, it's not like they're using a Wankel engine! My '95 Imprezza never used a drop for almost 10 years and 150k miles and was still running strong when I sold it.

I think Subaru is only specing 0w-20 to get maximum MPG out of their cars. The older Subaru's got bad MPG but didn't burn oil. Now they get much better mileage and burn through their oil at an unacceptable rate. I wonder what would happen (besides voiding what appears to be a worthless warranty) if a 0w-30 or even 0w-40 was used?

If Subaru doesn't fix my mom's car then I might try this route for her.

Unfortunately going to a thicker oil doesn't help much. As I understand it, the consumption is not about the oil being too thin, so much as it's about the piston rings that were used. A thicker oil could help a little bit, but ultimately it's a defective product (piston rings) so a thicker oil can only do so much.

Certain Subarus have qualified for relief from the manufacturer for replacement of defective piston rings. Check with one or two local dealers to see if the VIN for your car matches those vehicles that are affected and being repaired by Subaru America.

is that the 2.5 engine still?

always ran 0w-40 in our 2009 Forester when we had it and it was definitely quieter on it compared to 30 weight oils

Originally Posted By: jdavis
is that the 2.5 engine still?

always ran 0w-40 in our 2009 Forester when we had it and it was definitely quieter on it compared to 30 weight oils

It's a 2.5, but a new one. The FB25 has been used since 2011. It has had oil consumption issues, although they claim to have fixed the problem for 2015 models. Mine was burning a quart in 3,000 - 3,500 miles before my current MoS2 experiment.

On nasioc.com, replacing the rings did not fix the problem for the people that had it done. Subaru has since reduced the threshold from 1 quart per 1,200 miles to 1/3 quart per 1,200 miles in which they would replace the short block instead.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jdavis
Ahhh, I see.. hopefully they fixed the head gasket issue? I guess it's a moot point if you need new rings!

The head gasket issue has been resolved.

Originally Posted By: 6starprez
On nasioc.com, replacing the rings did not fix the problem for the people that had it done. Subaru has since reduced the threshold from 1 quart per 1,200 miles to 1/3 quart per 1,200 miles in which they would replace the short block instead.

Oh really!? I'm within that limit! I should go get a consumption test before long. I'm at 33k now, so I imagine I'll have to get it documented before 36k.

Are these manual or auto or CVT transmissions?

I plan to use PP 0W20 in my 2015 Forester. The vehicle has got 1225 miles of which I have driven 25 and its suppose to be my car.

Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer
My mom has an 2013 Imprezza that is consuming oil at a ridiculous rate. She has the oil changed every 5k by the dealer but doesn't ever check in between oil changes. She has had the oil light come on twice in between oil changes and the thing is only two years old. This is her third Subaru and the first two were solid cars. She's ready to trade it in, but I told her to start pressuring the dealer to fix the ...

If she trades in her newish Impreza, she will lose, what $ 5 000, or more...

Or she could just check the oil once a week, and add oil when needed... really not that hard... and if you ditch the 0w20 and just use any conventional 5w30... cheap too... couple bucks a week, maybe.

I get it, a new car shouldn't use this much oil... and Subaru should be fixing the problem, if they can...

And that's why there are a couple class action lawsuits underway... google it...

http://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2014/subaru-class-action-lawsuit-excessive-oil-consumption.shtml

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
... Thicker oils haven't made a difference for me either.

I believe we've chatted about this in prior threads. I too have similar oil consumption with my 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek FB20, 5spd.

Out of curiosity, what thicker oils have you run and how long have you run them?

I haven't tried it yet given my XV is so new, but I find it hard to believe consumption wouldn't be reduced by using 5w30 over 0w20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back