Question about the FL820S

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beta20=5 4/5=80

Wix 51372 2/20=12/25 Beta25=20

I'd say it's pretty good. I wish they would plot curves of filtering efficiency.

**BUMP**

Can't find the thread ATM about the redesigned 820S, but I figured I'd use this thread to ask a question about this same filter instead of starting a new one.

I finally got one of the new, shorter 820S filters to change my mother's oil tonight. Do these new shorter filters hold less oil in them than the now old length filters?

One would surely reason it that way. There are no trap doors in it. I guess if they compacted a few of the parts, you may end up close.

I wouldn't worry about oil holding capacity. I'd be more interested in if the media is comparable in holding capacity and filtering ability. They may have added more pleats/convolutions ..or gone to a different media ..or after years of confirmed and validated research figured out that the smaller one is just fine and affords the same standards of filtering and holding capacity required.

Quote:
They may have added more pleats/convolutions ..or gone to a different media ..or after years of confirmed and validated research figured out that the smaller one is just fine and affords the same standards of filtering and holding capacity required.

Or, have cheapened it, and are trying to pick up a few more $$$$.
frown.gif

Here's something I found on one of my other handy forums:

MOTORCRAFT OIL FILTER PRODUCT CHANGE FOR THE FL820S

The length of Motorcraft oil filter FL-820S (F1AZ-6731-BD) is being reduced, allowing for easier removal and installation.

There are no changes to the performance attributes of the oil filter.

The smaller filter size will also result in the pallet quantity being increased by one layer or 120 pieces.

The chart below provides a summary of the changes:

Motorcraft 820S

"Filter Specifications"

Current & New

Filter Diameter (in.)
Filter Length (in.)
4.04 OLD
3.72 NEW
Thread Size (mm / in.)
22 / 1.5
22 / 1.5
Anti Drain Back Valve Material
Silicone
Silicone
Efficiency @ 20 Microns (%)
80%
80%
Capacity (grams)
Burst Pressure (PSI)

I guess it holds the same after all.

Originally Posted By: roushstage2

The length of Motorcraft oil filter FL-820S (F1AZ-6731-BD) is being reduced, allowing for easier removal and installation.

There are no changes to the performance attributes of the oil filter.

The smaller filter size will also result in the pallet quantity being increased by one layer or 120 pieces.

The chart below provides a summary of the changes:

Motorcraft 820S

"Filter Specifications"

Current & New

Filter Diameter (in.)
Filter Length (in.)
4.04 OLD
3.72 NEW
Thread Size (mm / in.)
22 / 1.5
22 / 1.5
Anti Drain Back Valve Material
Silicone
Silicone
Efficiency @ 20 Microns (%)
80%
80%
Capacity (grams)
Burst Pressure (PSI)

I guess it holds the same after all.

Just shortened it a mite?? Seems good to me, I just worry when a known-good performer is modified...
27.gif

Quote:

Here's your reason
LOL.gif

The pallet order just went up 120 units
LOL.gif

Yeah, I caught that too. I suppose if it does the same thing and saves you shipping, which I can't imagine being too cheap, why not? Purolator is the one that makes them though, yes? Has anyone here noticed the equiv. filter being shortened too? I saw on my other forum that some noticed the Purolator version being shortened first?

we are a dual line FLM and Mazda dealer. the Mazda version of the FL-820S, AJTM-14-302 shrunk before the Ford one did. ill post up pics later comparing them, but they look pretty similar on the inside, just shorter.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
we are a dual line FLM and Mazda dealer. the Mazda version of the FL-820S, AJTM-14-302 shrunk before the Ford one did. ill post up pics later comparing them, but they look pretty similar on the inside, just shorter.

I picked up some PH8 Quaker State oil filters a little over a month ago and they shorted that size by about an inch. Shrinking the filters seems to be the new fad.

Thread Size (mm / in.)
22 / 1.5
22 / 1.5

Slight mis-print by whoever published those specs. The thread is 22 mm dia x 1.5 mm pitch.

The (mm / in.) shown doesn't make any sense.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
in all honesty the shorter filter really does help on certain applications.

Oh, I agree. I use the QS 8A on my Dodge Dakota. I specifically bought them because they were shorter and a regular 8A size is almost too long for this application.

I can't specifically remember the number (Fram PH-16, maybe?) but on a '76 Mustang II with the 302 they specify a short filter, and that's another application where a short filter helps.

I've got a '93 Lincoln Mark VIII with the 4.6 32 valve. On this application, the filter should have less DIAMETER.

The shorter filter does help a bit on my Mustang too (the Amsoil one was shorter, threw me off at first, didn't remember the 820S being that small...). The filter is up in the rack and pinion area so it is kind of a PITA to get to, and a bigger filter would sort of suck in that area, in all honesty. It was a bit of a chore getting the old one off.

Yeah, I caught that too. I suppose if it does the same thing and saves you shipping, which I can't imagine being too cheap, why not? Purolator is the one that makes them though, yes? Has anyone here noticed the equiv. filter being shortened too? I saw on my other forum that some noticed the Purolator version being shortened first?

The Purolator equivalent filters were already this short. The Motorcraft was longer.

The Purolator filters have more media in them because they don't have a big base end bypass valve taking up room that could be occupied by a taller "cartridge".

If I were to use a filter other than a Motorcraft, it would be a Purolator Pure ONE. Better filtering media, and lots more of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back