Question about Seafoam in poor quality gas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last summer, I had some trouble getting my mower to idle smoothly. Took the mower to my implement dealer who ended up testing the gas. They said the gas turned out to be of somehwat poor quality. I get the gas from my father in-law's bulk tank (he is a farmer). Anyway, the implement dealer ended up adding some Seafoam to the gas tank, and the idling problems went away.

Now I know that Seafoam is supposed to stabilize gas and prevent it from degrading as quickly. But what is it doing to gas that is already degraded a little bit? I see on this page that Seafoam mentions that it "adds volatility". What does that mean? Is that how it helped my idling problem with that old gas?

Is Seafoam doing something to older gas that other fuel stabilizers aren't? For comparison, on Stabil's website, they state that their product won't help old gas: http://www.goldeagle.com/brands/stabil/faq.aspx#8

Thanks,
Bryan

Adds volatility - seafoam is more aromatic than gasoline, and you can't burn liquid gasoline. Therefore by adding the aromatics, it becomes more volatile (evaporates easier) and will burn easier.

Gotcha, thanks. So, are there other fuel additives that stabilize gas but also add volatility?

Thanks,
Bryan

There are. The additive to improve stability of the gasoline has to do with not allowing it to turn into varnish and not burn well. It can also make it more aromatic at the same time to improve the quality of the gasoline when used.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SVTCobra
There are. The additive to improve stability of the gasoline has to do with not allowing it to turn into varnish and not burn well. It can also make it more aromatic at the same time to improve the quality of the gasoline when used.

Thanks SVTCobra, can you offer any examples? Stabil states that there product doesn't improve the volatility of older gas. So I'm assuming that their product is different. Of course, perhaps I should just stick with Seafoam. It is working for me. But lots of people seem to like Startron.

-Bryan

When I was researching TCW-3 2-Cycle Oil, in the gas tank (added at 1 oz. per 5 gallons....typically - don't take much).

I found it neat that the majority of the "2 Cycle" Oils that walmart carried, at least in the Garden Department, actually mentioned "Fuel Stabilization" as a "feature"......no idea how....but hey, makes sense....hehe. Likely due to the oil....being added to the fuel, it perhaps helps the fuel from going bad?

But then, went to the automotive department, none of the 2 Cycle oils made a mention of "stabilizing" fuel.....heheh so kind of curious.....if it's a "garden center" thing....or if, "naturally" all TCW-3/2 Cycle Oil is an "inherent" fuel stabilizer.....

As for Seafoam's magic....could be the light solvency it has, that "increases" the flash point.....which in turn aids in burning off the "bad" fuel.....? Just an idea
wink.gif

Heard Berryman's B-12 CHEMTOOL will fix a "bad gas" or "stale gas" situation too......dump the botlte into a tank, then fill it up and it'll be good to go to run
smile.gif
Likely due to the extremely HIGH solvency.....we're talking acetone, xylene, methanol, and some other high power sutff :p So it basically raises the octane of the "stale" fuel, to allow the fuel to burn properly....

Last edited:
All fuel additives are mostly solvents. That is why a lot of people put Marvel Mystery Oil into their gas because it cleans out the fuel system from deposits let behind by gasoline. It will decrease the flash point so that the fuel burns easier.

I think Startron is an enzymatic product to preserve the fuel.

Also fuel additives will combat water contamination by acting as a disperant so that the water molecules present will disperse into little tiny droplets and burn in the engine.

The bottom line to prevent any stale gas is to drain the fuel tank before storage (ie. burn all the gasoline up) or add a fuel additive such as the Startron or HEET or Stabil before you put it away for storage. If Seafoam works for you, then I say stick with it.

^Your first paragraph:

MMO or additives in an UCL form 'may' decrease gasoline octane. MMO does some cleaning, but more so as maintenance dosing than aggressive cleansing; especially in a neglected app, IMO. Better to use a PEA cleaner in neglected system, resort to solvent if results reveal a problem. Change fuel filter if applicable, etc. Sometimes, injectors need to be cleaned manually if this happens instead of dumping tons of solvent into the engine via the gas tank that it might take to get the injector cleaned and operating correctly. So, if you go that route, you may have to also change your oil anyway. If easily accessible, why not just pull the injectors? Gives you a chance to replace the o-rings/seals at the injectors, too.

Then, go back to MMO in between major dosages, as a maintenance item every so many fill ups(2-3 re-fills, then use MMO for example. Sea Foam used in this fashion, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back