Premium fuel required in 2021 Infiniti QX50

My daughter's QX50 with the VC turbo engine gets pre-ignition on regular and medium grade gas, but it's fine on premium. I've had a few cars over the years where premium is recommended, but they have always run regular with no problems. My understanding of what happens is the spark advance is somewhat reduced if the knock sensor "hears" any knocking. And this happens before a human driver can hear it. I told her to ask the dealer about it at her next oil change, but I'm wondering if this engine is somehow different than other high-compression engines that run just fine on regular gas.

Required and recommended are 2 very different things.

Owners manual for that vehicle states at least 91 AKI. 87 can be used temporarily but ONLY if you partially fill the tank with 87 then fill up the rest of the way with 91+ ASAP. You also have to avoid full throttle and abrupt starts.

In the owners manual, Infiniti recommends the use of premium unleaded fuel. I guess they know what they are talking about.
Shhhhh, cheap US consumers don't want to be offended, and definitely don't read owner's manuals.

It is good to see a few automakers recommending premium fuel, especially with turbos.

FUEL RECOMMENDATION
Use unleaded premium gasoline with an octane rating of at least 91 AKI (Anti-KnockIndex) number (Research octane number 96).
If unleaded premium gasoline is not available, unleaded regular gasoline with an octane rating of at least 87 AKI number (Research octane number 91) may be temporarily used, but only under the following precautions:
Have the fuel tank filled only partially with unleaded regular gasoline, and fill up with unleaded premium gasoline as soon as possible.
Avoid full throttle driving and abrupt acceleration.
Use unleaded premium gasoline for maximum vehicle performance.

On my wifes 08 Malibu LTZ with the 3.6, 87 is the standard but for best performance 89 is advised so that's what she gets. ;)

There is a big difference between "recommended and required" Very few cars "require" premium, but they have more power when higher octane is used. Recommended does not mean mandatory.

When a 91-93 octane engine is run on 87 octane, in addition to retarding the spark timing, the fuel injection may be enriched. Result, poorer gas mileage, less power, less efficiency.

Back