Question about engine oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi
smile.gif
im new to this forums :))))
im using royal purple HPS BUT i have a few questions
HPS zddp levels are 1500....and i read on a few other sites that above 1400zddp causes engine wear..so does it really increase long term wear?
should i switch to the API version of royal purple

i know there are better oils available...but in my country Royal Purple is cheaper than mobil 1, amsoil and redline. THANKS
smile.gif

I'd call Hoax!

..."And it was also found that ZDDP above 2,000 ppm, started attacking the grain boundaries in the iron, resulting in camshaft spalling."

ZDDP Attacking the iron? No, IMO, the excess just becomes reserve for future replenishing, over depletion.

I think at 1400-->1600ppm ZDDP, you'll be fine. I thought it was about 2k ppm zinc and above that caused problems???? I can't remember exactly?

I've been running 1800ppm zinc in my 454's for awhile now. No problems here. I spike each engine with Redline Break-In and run a conventional 15w40 HDEO. So, a half bottle of Redline Break-In additive will raise zinc about 700 ppm. That puts me at about 1800ppm.

No problems here.

Last edited:
Are you all sure that this level is safe?

I have it in a Nissan S13 silvia with a rebuilded S15 engine (SR20DET with vtc)
Also i use it in a Nissan Sentra

lol nope i have no idea what oil is spec'ed for my vehicle...are there any rp fan boys or people who knows alot about RP.

I got advised that the levels on zddp was too high for my engine...and it is already broke in already so we(the mechanic and myself) are saying that this oil is wrong because of the super high levels off zddp.

How you all would rate the API version of RP?

Originally Posted By: Nissan101

Is that the same/similar car as a 240SX?

lol nope i have no idea what oil is spec'ed for my vehicle...are there any rp fan boys or people who knows alot about RP.

I got advised that the levels on zddp was too high for my engine...and it is already broke in already so we(the mechanic and myself) are saying that this oil is wrong because of the super high levels off zddp.

So use the internet and find out.

Stick with the recommended grade in the manual that is correct for your ambient temperature chap. If the RP is correct for your application then stick with it.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

Is that the same/similar car as a 240SX?

Yes.. it's the same car - S13 is the chassis - Silvia in Japan / 240SX here in the states.

It's nothing special. Basically Valvoline SynPower with Purple dye. Nothing wrong with it, but RP's price is a bit high for what you are getting.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Hmmm, I think you'll find a few disagreeing with you on that vehemently. A hoax?

Yes, I know exactly what youre saying, but, come on 2k ppms instead of 1,4k ppms, where is the study on that "eats the iron" stuff? I still call hoax, in spite of emissions, of course.

Okay, are you going to do an experiment to show that it's a hoax? With any luck, Mola will stumble across this thread. Aside from that, I'm too lazy to look for studies right now, but perhaps later. I know I've read it from multiple sources, including within the industry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back