question about cooler line flush

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Donald
Could you cut the clamp and used a spiral clamp when done. Those clamps are not good for that many reuses anyway.

this is a good idea!!
but a just think of it a bit and this wont work. the spring clamp is strong type, it not a wire style that can be cut. thanks anyway!! i wonder why they did it when assemble the car
spankme2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mechtech2
You can generally push a spring clamp into position by shoving on one ear. This will generally loosen it enough to spin to where you want it.
The same push loosens and spins it.

this is a good idea too! i can some type of lubricant to help it?

Cut the hose and spin old clamp around. Take hose to any auto parts store and get appropriate length of appropriate ID hose. Reassemble ...do happy dance
banana2.gif
happy2.gif

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Cut the hose and spin old clamp around. Take hose to any auto parts store and get appropriate length of appropriate ID hose. Reassemble ...do happy dance
banana2.gif
happy2.gif

Yep, just ask for tranny hose.

I drain the pan and refill that amount in it, then add two extra qts. Then like Big Jim said use a container that shows qts. I then put both ends of the line into the container. Expecially if I am not sure which end is the outlet.

I then run the engine to pump out 2 qts. Then shut off the engine when two qts comes out. Then repeat the process as many qts as you want to flush out. This works well if you don't have anyone to help.

I have been doing this method the last two years. I have tried other methods and I like this for it's simplicity. Takes a little longer but is pretty good for keeping track of how much fluid you have added. Plus you don't run the trans dry.

I did this the other day on a friends car and ended up with just a few ounces over full. That worked well for the Saturn auto trans because I just opened the over fill plug and drained the excess.

Last edited:
banana2.gif
happy2.gif

mmmm, i like this idea!!
thumbsup2.gif
i will take a second look weekend and do some dry run. maybe install some sort of a valve to help draining in the future (if it works...)

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
banana2.gif
happy2.gif

Yep, just ask for tranny hose.

I drain the pan and refill that amount in it, then add two extra qts. Then like Big Jim said use a container that shows qts. I then put both ends of the line into the container. Expecially if I am not sure which end is the outlet.

I then run the engine to pump out 2 qts. Then shut off the engine when two qts comes out. Then repeat the process as many qts as you want to flush out. This works well if you don't have anyone to help.

I have been doing this method the last two years. I have tried other methods and I like this for it's simplicity. Takes a little longer but is pretty good for keeping track of how much fluid you have added. Plus you don't run the trans dry.

I did this the other day on a friends car and ended up with just a few ounces over full. That worked well for the Saturn auto trans because I just opened the over fill plug and drained the excess.

thanks, i have not decide what to do next, i was planning to let the car pump 2L out and add 2L at the same time. but i have never done it before, so i under estimate it
48.gif

so, you over-fill the tranny first? thanks!

I over fill the pan by 2 qts then start engine and run out 2 qts of fluid. Stop engine and repeat till you decide you have flushed out the capacity of the trans and maybe a couple of extra qts. You could do 1 qt a time if you wanted. It won't harm anything.

I did a trans that has a 13 qt capacity. I flushed 15 qts through the system

I added 7 qts to the pan and flushed another 8 qts.

how long will 2 quarts take to be pumped out? I was going to attempt this process on my xterra tomorrow, but I wont have a helper. Also, I might not be able to see the drain hose from the cab...

It will take a little over a minute, its not high pressure. You can easily watch the hose going into the bucket and then walk over and turn off the engine. Its not that exacting. In the time it takes you to walk to cab maybe a 1/2 cup will come out. You can anticipate that. I did it in my Camry and did 2 QTs at a time and at 2 QTs I would get air bubbles in the line and would shut off the engine. Most vehicles have a larger pan than my Camry and will not have air bubbles when only 2 QTs have come out.

You can also overfill by 1-2 QTs.

Be sure to drain pan first before the cooler line flush so you have the least mixing of old and new ATF in the pan.

that was my plan. I already have 12qts, a new filter, and a new gasket. I was planning on dropping the pan, cleaning it out, and replacing the filter. Then I would refill with 5 new quarts of fluid, since that is all that will drain from the pan. Then I was planning on disconnecting both cooling line hoses and stick them into a milk jug that has a mark every 2 qts on it. The reason for both hoses is because I dont know which one is the feed, and which one is the return. I was going to pump out 2qts at a time, then refill. repeat a couple times, then button it up and test drive. total tranny is 9 quarts, but 5 is removed during a drain and fill.

Sounds like a plan. If you feel both rubber hoses going/returning to cooler after driving 10-15 minutes one will be cooler, that is the return.

When I did it, I bought 3-4' of clear 3/8" vinyl hose and attached it to the return line and had it come to front of car where I could easily see and deal with the flowing ATF.

I changed the ATF by putting a hose in an empty gallon milk container. Then you can watch it and stop the engine when it is half full. I then added 2 quarts of new ATF, I did this several times. After about 11 quarts, you could see the change of color of the ATF so you knew all the old ATF was out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back