Adding a transmission oil filter on a Honda odyssey 2006

Thanks for checking. So (just confirming) the flow is opposite of the diagram above?

Just finished all the motor mounts except for the timing belt side mount. That will be done in the morning, then will reassemble with the trans cooler and new radiator.
If you are talking about the radiator diagram then yes. that radiator diagram was for the older odesseys.

Not sure which filter you have, but if the one below is what's in your Oddy, the area is pretty tough to access. Honda doesn't spec to replace this filter, so I would replace it every 60,000 - 75,000 miles or even longer. And I have a brand new one unused in my garage drawer.

View attachment 62124
I replaced this on our 06 v6 accord. After 325,000kms. The filter was original and looked completely fine. Cut it open after and found nothing.
The job was a bit of a pain, not too hard though.

Xgmad--

I don't know if you installed your inline filter yet, but I would suggest an actual inline trans filter instead of the fuel filters posted above. Magnefine and its equivalent from NAPA have magnets and a bypass. Other brands make dedicated magnetic ATF filters also.

NAPA 5/16
NAPA 3/8

I have opened about three of these filters so far. The magnet is always coated with a fine ferrous paste. The elements looked new aside from one or two metal flakes.

:cool:

Attachments

• IMG_20211002_102436750.jpg
    IMG_20211002_102436750.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20211002_102450715.jpg
    IMG_20211002_102450715.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20211002_102459773.jpg
    IMG_20211002_102459773.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 8
If dual filter head loss is a concern, the oem cartridge could be removed. I suspect it’s not a very fine filter. I’ve used magnefine units for a while. They occasionally weep; but none have leaked. There are metal versions now too. If the magnefine is worrisome, a spin-on mount is da bomb, did that in my last truck. The mounts can be had with a sensor port to add a temp gauge. They take a little more room to mount and provide filter R&R clearance.

Wix 33033 3/8 inlet/outlet
Wix 33032 5/16
Wix 33031 1/4
On of the filters with magnet stuck on the outside seems like a great idea, but since the is no bypass valve, I wonder how long it would be safe to leave it on between changes ?

If dual filter head loss is a concern, the oem cartridge could be removed. I suspect it’s not a very fine filter. I’ve used magnefine units for a while. They occasionally weep; but none have leaked. There are metal versions now too. If the magnefine is worrisome, a spin-on mount is da bomb, did that in my last truck. The mounts can be had with a sensor port to add a temp gauge. They take a little more room to mount and provide filter R&R clearance.

I just did a atf flush on the odyssey like 5 days ago, and I am considering removing the inhouse filter because it doesn't seem to filter all too much, and also replacing it is a pain to do.

I much prefer flushing than dump and fill on this van just because its easier and there's less atf being wasted.

Back