Question about buying new battery

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to buy a new battery soon for my 09 Nissan Versa, but something that's thrown me off is that in the description I see text like "Automatic CVT Trans./CVT INDICATOR in dashboard under the gas gauge (Part 51R-2)" or "Automatic Trans. (Part T4)" The part numbers are AAP Autocraft Gold batteries btw.

Does it really make a difference what kind of transmission I have? Mine is a 4-speed auto, but I always thought a battery was a battery.

The size must be different to fit a difference in the battery box size. One of the transmissions probably take up more space requiring a smaller battery.

Also why are you replacing the battery? Usually oem batteries only need to be replaced when tested questionable. Your climate shouldn't destroy batteries very fast. I wouldn't replace it unless there was reason to believe it be low on CCA.

Nissan OEM battery are pretty sketchy. While I was at Nissan, we had many, many, many, batteries go bad within a year or two. This battery is nearly 5 years old which seems like a reasonable age to replace it.

Thanks for the response. Just seemed like the right idea, considering the battery is original to the car. My start-ups also seem like they're starting to get just ever-so slightly longer. I'll hold off and clean the terminals and check the fluids this weekend though.

I know we did have a colder than usual winter earlier this year, but other than that I don't think it's seen many extremes.

Originally Posted By: Johnny248
Nissan OEM battery are pretty sketchy. While I was at Nissan, we had many, many, many, batteries go bad within a year or two. This battery is nearly 5 years old which seems like a reasonable age to replace it.

I bought a 2012 Nissan Rogue in March of 2012. Battery went dead March of 2014.

Originally Posted By: mcrn
Originally Posted By: Johnny248

I bought a 2012 Nissan Rogue in March of 2012. Battery went dead March of 2014.

Yep
smile.gif
We used to replace them all the time before the [censored] car even made it off the lot lol

Originally Posted By: Old Mustang Guy
I would replace if it is an 09 and starts are taking longer.

+1 It's going to be another harsh, cold winter. A battery will always fail when you don't have the time to mess with it. And all these major chain auto parts stores install them for free. It doesn't pay to wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back