Question about brake pad width

I just replaced the stock pads and discs on my 2018 SXT - got 110k miles out of them - with Brembo replacement pads and discs. Alleged direct replacement, not trying to upgrade anything. Noticed after the replacement that the area contacted on the discs is much wider than the area on the original discs using the original pads.
I ordered them a long time ago, and don't remember where I got them from, but I said 2018 SXT at the time, and got what I got. Looking at Tirerack, they say - only - P11019N... the wider ones which I have. Same thing with Autozone.
Brembo's web site says I have the right pads.
So the questions.... Why are these so much wider than stock? Any issues that can happen as a result?

See picture of removed pad vs.new.

20240123_001607144_iOS.jpg

20240123_002314131_iOS.jpg

New Brembo discs installed with the pads - old pads/discs were pulsating and after 110k, I didn't want to turn them. I'm asking where's there's such a difference in width between factory and these pads. I haven't - but may - look at another brand of pad to see if this is unique to the pads I bought.

Looks to me like the original pads cheaped out on friction material. The top radius match on both. The lower edge of the backing pad look almost identical, just that the replacements fill the space with friction material. Do they fit in the caliper/bracket ? If so, run 'em.

Brembos... New pads and disks both. They fit just fine. Brembo doesn't provide hardware - clips - with the pads. I greased up and reused the original, so hopefully no issues with that. The leading and trailing edges are chamfered so they don't touch. probably be quite a while before they do. Original pads were the actual original factory pads. Looks like Chrysler just made them smaller. I've looked at a few other Chargers front discs that I've seen in parking lots since and they also look like they have the smaller contact area. I read somewhere that the pressure can be higher with smaller pad area, but more area, less pressure vs. smaller area more pressure should equal out... maybe, right?

As far as dust. No idea. Only installed a week ago. No noise. Stopping power seems good. Haven't really done any really hard stops. Probably hardest routine stop is ~60-65 -> 0 in about 250 feet. (U-turn turnaround going to the dog park a couple of times). I know the distance via measuring it on google maps.. Somewhere around the first arrow to the middle of the U-turn gap https://www.google.com/maps/@34.1453025,-78.0939568,74m/data=!3m1!1e3?entry=ttu

I think 110k miles on factory pads and rotors is pretty good. Not down to grind point, got so they would pulse on braking.

Also, a tip for others doing this. The caliper bolts were apparently put together with loctite. The do not like to be removed. Electric impact gun did nothing. Eventually but a 3 foot length of rigid conduit over the wrench handle. moved bolt like butter. Turn back of wheel out for access to bolts from outside the wheel well. Also, loosen the mounting bolt for the wheel speed sensor wire support clamp so you can get the socket on the upper bolt.

I read somewhere that the pressure can be higher with smaller pad area, but more area, less pressure vs. smaller area more pressure should equal out... maybe, right?
The pad materials are likely not identical so friction may well differ between the pads. The bigger pads have a thermal advantage for sure as they can shed heat better. The limiting factor in braking performance is usually the tire/road surface.

How do you like the Brembo pads?? Stopping power, feel, dusting, noise??
I've now got some answers for you. Stopping power and feel... Stopping power and feel is good. Haven't gone close to the point of locking them, but it stops well. No noise. I did put Disk Brake quiet https://www.crcindustries.com/disc-brake-quiet-4-fl-oz/ on the circle of the piston, and the feet on the caliper so they are stuck to the caliper when released. Dust.... YES. Very dirty black dust. I scrubbed the wheels, and after about a week of mostly city, the wheels had visible black dust. Plenty of it. So, yes these pads are dirty. On the upside, the dust doesn't stick well. It comes off with the wheel cleaner soap, and spray wand at the car wash.

Oh, and one other thing. Anyone who believes that you actually get a usable two year warranty with Brembo and has some need to use it, you will find out that there's actually no way of making any sort of claim. As I mentioned previously, I bought the pads and rotors a while back. The pads did not include hardware as many others have mentioned. I tried contacting Brembo. They do not talk to end user customers. There's several US looking websites that appear to be Brembo - brembostoreusa, etc - with all sorts of Brembo trade dress. They are not actually Brembo. Auto Zone doesn't warranty them either. Told me I have to contact Brembo. So, warranty is basically non-existent. Anyone else have a different path to get warranty, please let us all know.

Last edited:
Back