Question about Baldwin Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: twj348

......My oil pump is a pretty high flow design (17GPM at 6000rpm)......

I find that very hard to believe. For your engine to flow 17 GPM it would have to flow 1.13qt's per sec. or 5.66 qt's every 5 seconds. If you hold 5 qt's in the pan it would M/T in less than 5 seconds. Just think how fast the oil would have to drain back down to the pan at that rate of flow, then think how much faster it would have to drain back to the pan to keep it from sucking air if your down just one qt.

I don't think my old N14(Cummins) flowed that much, but its been a few years since I thought of that engine(great engine by the way).
I hear the same thing about my S2000 and how much oil it flows and I don't believe what I've read about my S2000 oil flow either. Call the filter mfr. and ask them what the flow is, Baldwin will tell you and I doubt you will find a small filter that will flow 17 GPM. Even my Baldwin B202 which is 4 to 5 times larger than the B161-S will not flow 17 GPM.

ROD

Originally Posted By: xtell
ZeeOSix and dnewton3,

Thank you both very much for taking the time to go into a detailed description explaining oil flow through the filter / filter media. Now I see how much delta-p plays a roll in the function of the bypass. Very Interesting.

Thank you,

xtell

Anytime ... hope that makes it more clear what's going on with flow through the filter.

Originally Posted By: rrounds
......My oil pump is a pretty high flow design (17GPM at 6000rpm)......

I find that very hard to believe. For your engine to flow 17 GPM it would have to flow 1.13qt's per sec. or 5.66 qt's every 5 seconds. If you hold 5 qt's in the pan it would M/T in less than 5 seconds. Just think how fast the oil would have to drain back down to the pan at that rate of flow, then think how much faster it would have to drain back to the pan to keep it from sucking air if your down just one qt.

I don't think my old N14(Cummins) flowed that much, but its been a few years since I thought of that engine(great engine by the way).
I hear the same thing about my S2000 and how much oil it flows and I don't believe what I've read about my S2000 oil flow either. Call the filter mfr. and ask them what the flow is, Baldwin will tell you and I doubt you will find a small filter that will flow 17 GPM. Even my Baldwin B202 which is 4 to 5 times larger than the B161-S will not flow 17 GPM.

ROD

The unregulated pump may flow 17 GPM at 6000 RPM due to it's physical design, but there should be a pressure regulator to keep the max pump output pressure, and hence the max flow rate to the engine under control.

Thats true but if your under the pressure relief set by the oil pump then your getting all that oil up to the engine. On my S2000 thats around 90 psi, it does drop when I hit V-Tec at 6000 rpm but does go back up to close to 90 at 8400 rpm.

ROD

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rrounds
Thats true but if your under the pressure relief set by the oil pump then your getting all that oil up to the engine.

Agree, and I don't think any engine actually flows 17 GPM at 6000 RPM unless the pump's outlet pressure is set super high and the engine is loose and free flowing, and has a pump that puts out that much flow and has a high pressure relief setting.

I for one would like to say "Thank You" to ZeeOSix and dnewton3 for putting into words what delta-p, cSt, SUS, VI and all the other things we talk about on here. That and putting it into words that all(well most) can understand. That makes for teachable moments on here. I may know how it works but to teach someone how it works, well that is two different things.

ROD
p.s. I'm an old hot rodder and I don't like stock. That is why my next oil filter will be a Donaldson P502503 on my S2000 after I get the adapter made. Who likes stock?

Here are the oil pump specs if anybody's interested. I was a little off (was looking the WRX STI specs). It's rated 60L/min (16GPM) at 6700rpm, and the pump bypass is 102psi. If they pump is going into relief by 3-4000rpm, peak flows might be well under 10GPM.

2015 WRX Oil Pump Specs

Last edited:
Here are the oil pump specs if anybody's interested. I was a little off (was looking the WRX STI specs). It's rated 60L/min (16GPM) at 6700rpm, and the pump bypass is 102psi. If they pump is going into relief by 3-4000rpm, peak flows might be well under 10GPM.

2015 WRX Oil Pump Specs

Pump almost puts out 2 GPM at idle speed (600 RPM). The discharge specs are obviously not discharging into a restrictive oiling system because there's no way the pump's outlet pressure is going to be only at 46 PSI with 16 GPM of flow going through the engine unless about 50% of that flow is going through a low restriction oil cooler system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back