Quesion re: my mom's new car and its OLM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: J. A. Rizzo
Originally Posted By: 2KBMW
Originally Posted By: J. A. Rizzo
The OLM takes all of that into account so you don't have to. I would plan to change it when the OLM says to change it. Anything more than that is a waste of time and money. You do have to reset the OLM when you change the oil.

I would not go by the OLM in this case because they only put 2000 miles/year.
if you went by that, it would take about three years of driving or 6000 miles
before the OLM goes off. For warranty, the max time would be one year.

So you, some anonymous gal/guy on the Internet, knows better than powertain engineers at the manufacturer what the OLM will tell you? Not bloody likely! The OLM, as very well documented in many places on the Internet and from your GM dealer, takes into account duration of time, temperatures, RPMs, mileage, and many other factors, and certainly knows better than some anonymous nobody what is the best way to maintain your engine. No offense, but at least demonstrate some knowledge of how the system works rather than make some ignorant out-of-nowhere comment like you know better than the engineers. Sheesh!
33.gif
What would honey boo boo do?

What sir, will separate us from all being anonymous nobody's on the internet? I don't want someone like you with my real name and address. Those that explode on the internet.

JC

Honestly, if she goes 2,000 miles per year, I'd follow the OLM. I would suspect the OLM goes off at 1 year regardless of miles? 2,000 even over 1 year is more than reasonable.

Last edited:
That would be interesting. I have never heard of anyone even going longer than a year that had an OLM in their vehicle. I wonder if it would show 0 life left at the one year point to match up with GM manual. I put on too many miles a year to be able to test that, but the OP's mom's vehicle would be a real viable test platform to see if the OLM does show zero life left at the one year point.

FWIW, the manual on our Cruze indicates that the OLM could still be above 0% at one year.
Quote:
If driven under the best conditions, the engine oil life system might not indicate the need for vehicle service for more than a year.

In reality though I've heard the percentage drops just from sitting so I'd also be curious.

You have to reset the OLM. Instructions in the owners manual. An annual change is all you need with Dexos 1 approved oil. PZ syn blend would be a great choice.

The OLM doesn't measure time. Only engine / drive train RPMs and temps. I have a Corvette that only gets about 3k /year. After 12 months on an OCI it is typically sowing about 60% on the OLM.

Originally Posted By: JR
Trust a good oil and filter and trust the olm it will guide you the right diretion. It knows how the car is driven, cold short trips or long warm mile it counts that in. If you never go anywhere often it will land on 0% way soon.

Ken

I have 18months and 6700 miles on bulk tire shop 5w30 in the buick regal 3800 seriesII 8t still looks good aand is still at full line, i plan to change it early just before winter.

ACdelo or purelator classic and nextgen maxlife 5w20. The next service will be long trips since thlady in the life has a new job, i plan to let it go to the olm light pops up on the nextgen.

I would not be running a 5w20 in the gm 3.8. You can get away with that in lots of vehicles but that's not one I would do it in.

Originally Posted By: 3putter
The OLM doesn't measure time. Only engine / drive train RPMs and temps. I have a Corvette that only gets about 3k /year. After 12 months on an OCI it is typically sowing about 60% on the OLM.

I'm glad you posted this 3putter. That was the point I was trying
to make before. I really don't think the OLM will go down to have
the "change oil" come on in that short of time. Some wise guy ranted
on me.
grin2.gif

Time isn't as big a factor as most make it out to be. I've seen two year oci uoas with great tbn and tan even with moderate mileage. Of course it varies by application. I think these engines will prove easy on oil.

And even if the OLM goes beyond 1 year, there still won't be a problem. I'm not certain about whether OLM factors in time, but if it doesn't, it's because GM is confident that it's not important unless there's an admonition in the manual about it. If a yearly isn't required and the OLM says drive on, then drive on.

I too would change my oil every 6 months using a good synthetic like Mobil 1, 5W-30 is most probably the recommended oil weight.

Like the others have said regard less of the OCI the oil should be changed at least once per year just like what my manuals tell me in my 08' Impala SS and my newly bought 2013 Camaro RS.

Another option for your mom is to take her car out on the highway for a nice drive for about an hour and a half to get the oil nice and hot to absorb excess moisture, That's what i try and do for my two cars.

Durango

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back