Quantum Blue - SRT8 - UOA question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess that someone should let Mr. Shubert know that Quantum Blue is a registered trademark of BÜHLMANN Laboratories AG, who operates in the US and Canada under the name BUHLMANN Diagnostics Corp. I don't think that said corporation would enjoy knowing that someone else is using their registered trademark to sell... motor oil made in a shed. If anyone feels the need, for whatever reason, to reach out to them, here is their contact email: [email protected]

Its not a violation because he is not using their "mark" just the wording.
For that to be a violation they would not only have to trademark the words ( hard to do for words not made for a purpose and difficult/expensive to enforce) but even then only in context with the mark and that company doesn't sell blue motor oil.

Its not a violation because he is not using their "mark" just the wording.
For that to be a violation they would not only have to trademark the words ( hard to do for words not made for a purpose and difficult/expensive to enforce) but even then only in context with the mark and that company doesn't sell blue motor oil.

Well, my expertise is not in the legal area, and I'm just here to learn more about lubricants in general, have a good time and hang out with some great folks such as yourself. Anyway, have you seen this: https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/354644

Well, my expertise is not in the legal area, and I'm just here to learn more about lubricants in general, have a good time and hang out with some great folks such as yourself. Anyway, have you seen this: https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/354644

Thanks and its definitely an interesting subject

Not that specifically but I have seen similar acts by bigger EPCM firms. Its a fairly common practice used by many companies to protect their image and to intimidate/choke out potential competition. Sometimes its political like what the SEC did to Tucker.

I doubt BND is high enough on anyone's radar to warrant any such action.

While you’re obsessing over this nonstop he's laughing all the way to the bank.

That, ladies and gentlemen, we can count on

Just having a little bit of fun with this. It's Mr. Brian Shuber's right to pursue happiness... and money. As long as no one suffers, except their wallet and maybe their self esteem when they realize that they've been had, it's all good.

To me it's weird how deep the desire of some people is to customize, or more accurately, change everything on their vehicle, including their motor oil. Debating, wrapping, custom paint jobs, the list goes on and on. And then there is motor oil and the other fluids that go into the vehicle. BND is to be the AMSOIL for the ultimate car enthusiast, adding a personal touch for each and every customer: extra phosphorus. Because you're special, you deserve your own motor oil, your own version of Quantum Blue that's been blended only for you. I wonder if he does the same for ATF fluid? What about gear lube?

ONE HUNDRED AND TWENTY EIGHT THOUSAND HARD MILES. His Oil Works. I have it in all my vehicles and a few customers. Quieted down My LS7

ONE HUNDRED AND TWENTY EIGHT THOUSAND HARD MILES. His Oil Works. I have it in all my vehicles and a few customers. Quieted down My LS7

That is not in any way a testament. We can all drum up impotent anecdotes: I've seen 1.2 million kilometers on bulk "minimum meets the spec" oils in 4.6L Fords. My old 302 with 338,000Km on it; 210,000 miles with a significant portion of those at 100HP more than stock on Mobil 1 was spotless inside with the cross-hatching still visible in the bores and factory spec oil pressure and it was driven HARD.

The condition of that engine in that thread is completely unacceptable. The performance of the product, and I'm being generous describing that as performance rather than just calling it abject failure, was abysmal. Laden with varnish like somebody running 1960's Quaker State 10w-40 at 10,000 mile intervals.

It meets zero manufacturer approvals, it has no third party performance verification as well as additive levels that are likely corrosive at the concentration level employed. If you are intentionally putting this swill into other people's vehicles that explicitly call for actual API or manufacturer approvals you are knowingly risking their warranties if still in place and setting yourself up for liability issues since I doubt this snake oil wagon train can afford to cover an engine failure.

As has been said on here more times than I can count: Absence of failure is not proof of performance. Just because nothing has blown up for you yet doesn't mean that things aren't worse off than they were running an approved lubricant. Engines are incredibly tolerant of human stupidity.

Supertech can do that.

Yup! Easily.

Somewhat OT but people might wonder what's the difference between buying "Quantum Blue" versus say an unapproved oil from AMSOIL from their Signature Series line.

(paraphrasing a bit here): Back in the 1970's Al observed the success of synthetic oils in the protection of aircraft engines under extreme conditions and endeavoured to develop a passenger car oil using that philosophy. He, not being an oil formulator, enlisted the help of experts at the time, I believe one of them being Hatco, to formulate the first API approved synthetic engine oil for passenger cars. This was rapidly followed by the creation of Mobil 1, which would employ a similar philosophy.

While AMZOIL, later AMSOIL would eventually begin to produce oils not approved by the API and of course the use of the irrelevant 4-ball validation method, the philosophy of partnership with leading providers of base oils like XOM and additive manufacturers like Lubrizol has remained. Their top tier oils do not have out-of-line levels of additives and are typically similar to most major formulator offerings with the assumption that base oil selection favours performance rather than value. They also offer a performance warranty and have the financials to back it. Their focus for their top tier oils has always been extended drain capability and they have always continued to offer an API approved product, a portfolio more recently diversified with the inclusion of Euro OEM approvals as well, which lends further legitimacy to their philosophy.

In comparison, making up SAE grades that don't exist, talking about base oil hot sheet "splash tests" and utilizing additive levels that are so out of line that they dwarf what's seen in proven race oils, let alone street offerings, does not a compelling case for competent formulation make. This is amateur hour; a guy building .050 over "race" SBC's in his unenclosed car port with some dirty harbour freight tools and a ball hone and people believing he's making world-class race engines under those conditions.

Last edited:
Yup! Easily.

Somewhat OT but people might wonder what's the difference between buying "Quantum Blue" versus say an unapproved oil from AMSOIL from their Signature Series line.

(paraphrasing a bit here): Back in the 1970's Al observed the success of synthetic oils in the protection of aircraft engines under extreme conditions and endeavoured to develop a passenger car oil using that philosophy. He, not being an oil formulator, enlisted the help of experts at the time, I believe one of them being Hatco, to formulate the first API approved synthetic engine oil for passenger cars. This was rapidly followed by the creation of Mobil 1, which would employ a similar philosophy.

While AMZOIL, later AMSOIL would eventually begin to produce oils not approved by the API and of course the use of the irrelevant 4-ball validation method, the philosophy of partnership with leading providers of base oils like XOM and additive manufacturers like Lubrizol has remained. Their top tier oils do not have out-of-line levels of additives and are typically similar to most major formulator offerings with the assumption that base oil selection favours performance rather than value. They also offer a performance warranty and have the financials to back it. Their focus for their top tier oils has always been extended drain capability and they have always continued to offer an API approved product, a portfolio more recently diversified with the inclusion of Euro OEM approvals as well, which lends further legitimacy to their philosophy.

In comparison, making up SAE grades that don't exist, talking about a base oil hot sheet "splash tests" and utilizing additive levels so out of line with what's seen in proven race oils, let alone street offerings does not a compelling case for competent formulation make. This is amateur hour; a guy building .050 over "race" SBC's in his unenclosed car port with some dirty harbour freight tools and a ball hone and people believing he's making world-class race engines under those conditions.

This post right here should be a sticky.

That is not in any way a testament. We can all drum up impotent anecdotes: I've seen 1.2 million kilometers on bulk "minimum meets the spec" oils in 4.6L Fords. My old 302 with 338,000Km on it; 210,000 miles with a significant portion of those at 100HP more than stock on Mobil 1 was spotless inside with the cross-hatching still visible in the bores and factory spec oil pressure and it was driven HARD.

The condition of that engine in that thread is completely unacceptable. The performance of the product, and I'm being generous describing that as performance rather than just calling it abject failure, was abysmal. Laden with varnish like somebody running 1960's Quaker State 10w-40 at 10,000 mile intervals.

It meets zero manufacturer approvals, it has no third party performance verification as well as additive levels that are likely corrosive at the concentration level employed. If you are intentionally putting this swill into other people's vehicles that explicitly call for actual API or manufacturer approvals you are knowingly risking their warranties if still in place and setting yourself up for liability issues since I doubt this snake oil wagon train can afford to cover an engine failure.

As has been said on here more times than I can count: Absence of failure is not proof of performance. Just because nothing has blown up for you yet doesn't mean that things aren't worse off than they were running an approved lubricant. Engines are incredibly tolerant of human stupidity.

I agree with every word Sir. In addition to that, please watch the video below of a 3.6L Pentastar engine with over 600,000 miles on it that more than likely ran its entire life on bulk fleet motor oil. Just change your oil on time and all is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back