Quality exhaust pipe adapters…do they exist?

Is it my imagination, or are those exhaust pipe adapters that you buy in the local auto parts store made with inferior steel? You know, those handy short pieces of exhaust pipe that you pick up for a couple/few dollars to help you fix a rusted exhaust pipe, modify an exhaust system, adapt different sized exhaust pipes together, etc. I’ve repaired a break in my daughter’s car twice already and the adapter keeps rusting out and breaking (in a matter of months) while the OEM exhaust pipe, while rusty itself, is still hanging on (after 15 years).

Are there any really good brands of adapters? Or, is there a brand or type of exhaust pipe that i should be buying that is better quality that i can use my expander tool on to make the adapter myself?

OE exhaust is stainless. Those "Nickson" brand adapters are "aluminized steel."

Also welding with most common consumables undoes what makes stainless, stainless.

OE exhaust is stainless. Those "Nickson" brand adapters are "aluminized steel."

Also welding with most common consumables undoes what makes stainless, stainless.
Good point about the OE stainless parts. I just picked up a Nickson aluminized steel replacement. Hoping this works better than the one i used last time which i picked out of my spare parts pile. Not sure what brand was used last time…might have been APA or something like that.

Oddly, what I am welding to is a very thin walled OE pipe that appears super rusty (definitely not Stainless steel), but has outlasted the aftermarket adapters by a long shot. This is for a 2008 Volvo XC70, which has dual muffler exhaust. The pipes down the middle of the car are heavy duty, then goes down to a single pipe that splits off into a “Y” behind the rear differential. The pipes after the Y are very thin. The FoMoCo mufflers themselves are top notch (seriously). No aftermarket muffler parts for this vehicle that i could find. OE tailpipe and muffler (both sides) are over $400 each!!!!

You might have luck with a custom bent exhaust from someone who knows what they're doing. These guys are pretty rare.

I do not live where there is salt - but still - my Xterra exhaust is still original OEM at 400K miles (except the cats, which had no holes but threw codes). I remember the days when you were lucky to get a few years on an exhaust system. Used to be a muffler shop on every corner.

There are different grades of stainless steel. Some do rust, some are magnetic, some do not rust. My RAM3500 had a stainless exhaust from the factory that lightly rusted and then stopped. Much like the huge power line poles made of metal that are allowed to rust into a "brown" color after installation.

I do not live where there is salt - but still - my Xterra exhaust is still original OEM at 400K miles (except the cats, which had no holes but threw codes). I remember the days when you were lucky to get a few years on an exhaust system. Used to be a muffler shop on every corner.
Leaded gas came with two corrosive ingredients that kept the lead from building up inside the engine. But those scavengers ate the pipes... quickly!

The EPA came out with some rule that catalytic converters had to last a while, and at this point every OE decided spending an extra ten bucks on a stainless exhaust, at least to the mid-pipe, was a worthwhile investment.

Definitely not your imagination. Most of your parts store exhaust parts come from Walker. It is absolute junk for rust belt use, but it's readily available for most make/models. The 2015 Nissan Versa in my sig is on it's second Walker cat-back system, which includes all the spring bolts, gaskets, nuts/bolts, etc. The whole cat-back is around $350.

Wow. Nice SS ones would be great. Price is reasonable. Thanks. Except they don’t have a 2IDx2OD. Suppose i could expand one.

Definitely not your imagination. Most of your parts store exhaust parts come from Walker. It is absolute junk for rust belt use, but it's readily available for most make/models. The 2015 Nissan Versa in my sig is on it's second Walker cat-back system, which includes all the spring bolts, gaskets, nuts/bolts, etc. The whole cat-back is around $350.
Ya… i went thru that with a Walker muffler on a 00 Chrysler T&C years ago. Bought one at Advance AP. The muffler rusted out after 3 years, got another one under their “lifetime” warranty. The second one rusted out after 3 years. Brought that one back for warranty service. That’s when i learned that the Advance Auto Parts warranty only covered one replacement!! What a disappointment.

Wow. Nice SS ones would be great. Price is reasonable. Thanks. Except they don’t have a 2IDx2OD. Suppose i could expand one.
They have that size, the part # is SFTRANS-304-200

They have that size, the part # is SFTRANS-304-200

Ah, Thank you. I missed that one. Thanks for the great product links. Now i have more potential hobbies when i start retirement next year!

Back