Quaker State HM vs.Maxlife

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everybody. What is your opinion on Quaker State HM oil. The oil was on sale this week at CT(Canadian auto parts store) and purchased some for my 1992 Camry. Have been running Quaker State Durablend 10W30 for a long time. IS QS HM oil comparable to Maxlife? Thanks in advance.
smile.gif

The simple answer to your question is yes. And so is the Pennzoil HM, Castrol HM, and Mobil HM. All use higher VI base stocks than their conventional counterpart, and they use basically the same additive package as their conventional counterparts with the exception of a small amount of ester for seal conditioning. The Pennzoil HM and Quaker State HM use a very small amount of Moly in them (and I do mean a small amount). None of these oils are advertised with Moly and non are recommended for long drain intervals. These are good oils.

What's the max drain interval you would say these are good for Johnny? 5k? I'm only running my current Maxlife out to 6000km (3.7k) then it's Schaeffers time!

Patman: I hate to make recommendations on drain intervals. It all depends on what type of driving one does. You know the standard oil company answer 3k to 4k. I have seen both the Pennzoil and Quaker State run to 5k. I sure would not go past that. I have about the same type of weather as you do, and in the winter months I personally would not run any conventional oil past 4k in the winter. I guess I better clearify conventional. Any OTC SL rated dino oil. I run our 5W40 Group III synthetic in my VW Van and do 5k oil changes, and I will not push it past that. My wife drives the VW and it very seldom leaves the city. Only about 5% highway miles.

[ July 16, 2002, 10:12 AM: Message edited by: Johnny ]

quote:

Originally posted by Johnny:
All use higher VI base stocks than their conventional counterpart, and they use basically the same additive package as their conventional counterparts with the exception of a small amount of ester for seal conditioning. The Pennzoil HM and Quaker State HM use a very small amount of Moly in them (and I do mean a small amount). These are good oils.

Johnny, thanks for your reply. One can sum up saying that the QS HM oil is the same as the normal QS oil except using group VI base oil and the addition of esters for seal conditioning. Am I correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back