Quaker State Full Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking of switching to Quaker State full synthetic for my car, i've been using quaker state's conventional ever since I bought the car. Has anybody used their synthetic? What did you think of it?

The QS synthetics seem to have a bit less detergents than Pennzoil Platinum and Valvoline Synpower. With the recent price increase of the Horse Power, Pennzoil Platinum is a better deal.

Saw PP on sale at great_wally_of_china mart for $20/5qt jug. I was picking up a Jug O' M1 AFE chartreuse cap for $22 minus the 10 buck rebate coupon on the Mobil site. I got the last jug (on the shelf). Just a few dys earlier there wher about 15 jugs of the AFE. BITOGer's everywhere!

Last edited:
I bought a jug of the 5W-30 "Horsepower" for the $10 rebate and plan to run it this winter.

The oil seems pretty close to Pennzoil Platinum as far as the product data sheets were. But since QS is now using a different packaging, and have not release the new PDS for their "Premium" (synthetics) I have no idea if this is still the case...

Nick - I went to a Deming seminar in the 80's - met the old man himself just before he passed on at a ripe old statistically outlying age.... or at least in the 6s margin.

Speaking of the "horsepower" synthetic oil, does anybody really think there is a difference between horsepower, torque, and advanced synthetic oil? my local autozone only had the advanced version of the synthetic but I wouldn't consider my honda civic to be advanced by any means. am I alright in buying the advanced version when all I want is a good synthetic oil?

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Nick - I went to a Deming seminar in the 80's - met the old man himself just before he passed on at a ripe old statistically outlying age.... or at least in the 6s margin.

He was a genius. Though, one would think his ideas would almost be so inherently obvious, you'd wonder why he was ignored here after 1945 (or until 1981)...

Originally Posted By: civicsic
Speaking of the "horsepower" synthetic oil, does anybody really think there is a difference between horsepower, torque, and advanced synthetic oil? my local autozone only had the advanced version of the synthetic but I wouldn't consider my honda civic to be advanced by any means. am I alright in buying the advanced version when all I want is a good synthetic oil?

There were differences according to the product data sheets, with Horsepower being almost identical to the (old) Pennzoil Platinum...

And the new syn is called "Premium," isn't it? I haven't seen on it shelves yet...

Last edited:
I get either of the SOPUS oil depending totally o price. Right now I have PP but QS was in it for two turns of ~8K each.

Was dark but not bad. Like a Dino after 3K. Will use again I am sure.

Originally Posted By: civicsic

HP and TP are different. The HP appears to have more pour point depressants, and judging by smell, more esters. The Advanced is another older discontinued product (or name). Unsure how it compares.

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
And the new syn is called "Premium," isn't it? I haven't seen on it shelves yet...

Ultimate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back